Baghead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Baghead Reviews

½ October 22, 2012
Decent low budget horror comedy that is pretty decent. The idea behind this film is pretty interesting, and it is different. Although it is a decent flick, it still has plenty of flaws, and the end result is a film that had so much more potential than what it turned out to be. The dialogue is one of the weaker points of the film, along with a few questionable performances. For the most part, this is a fun film to watch, and it definitely is a refreshing take on comedy horror despite its imperfections. For what it's worth, the cast do what they can with a sketchy script and the result is an imperfect film that does still manage to deliver a fun, entertaining hour and twenty minutes. The direction is quite good, but is never great and that's to be expected from a low budget film. As a whole, if you're tired of the same old remakes, and want something really original, yet imperfect, give Baghead a shot. This is a decent picture that manages to be quite fun and is a must see for genre fans. At times the film has corny dialogue and laughable scenes, and not in a good way, luckily the directors are able to deliver more with effective interesting ideas that work, which in turn makes up for the film's mistakes. Baghead is a decent film overall and work well enough to keep you entertained from start to finish, just don't expect anything great with this one. Worth seeing if you want something quite different that your usual horror comedy.
½ June 17, 2008
Matt: Hey. What's that?

An ultra low budget human drama that contains elements of comedy and horror. Its simple, nothing too amazing, but the improved performances make it seem natural, along with some actual tension in parts.

A group of four struggling filmmakers decide to spend their weekend up at a cabin to hopefully develop a script and make a movie. The group includes two guys and two girls. One guy is more successful with women. One girl doesn't show the feelings for the other guy who desires her. Basically, there's a handsome guy, a funny guy, a slutty girl, and the cute girl.

Some mystery ensues when a mysterious figure keeps appearing outside the cabin with a bag over their head. Whether its one of the four or someone else completely is the source of a mystery that begins to run throughout.

The movie is shot with a digital camera and makes no attempt at having clever visual tricks, its about what its about, and I thought it worked.

Chad: Goodnight, movie girlfriend.
Michelle: Goodnight.
½ February 26, 2009
Worth its weight in gold as a curiosity - kind of a mumblecore Bubble, if Bubble wasn't mumblecore as it is. As a movie about movies, it feels incessantly "filmed," and the viewer never forgets what they're watching. This approach may seem intrusive, but considering that this is a movie about intrusion on many different levels, the filming is a positive influence more than a detraction. The amateur actors are charmingly shitty, which sort of endears them to you all the more, and the characters they put forth are distinct and unabridged. The plot itself isn't terribly original but the execution is what to watch here - the Duplass brothers do an admirable job spinning a compelling tale from a simple foundation and without spending too much money.

Nothing here will blow your mind, but it functions adeptly as a lo-fi genre meld, and at only 70 minutes it's not a huge waste of time even if you don't find something worth championing. An inspiring tidbit of indie cinema.
January 4, 2009
Ultra low budget horror comedy about four actors who are terrorized by a mysterious man in the woods while trying to write a screenplay that will make them all stars. Film's reliance on an apparently improvised script and non-professional actors seems unfocused and sloppy at times. However this unique film manages to incorporate a tale of personal relationships, independent filmmaking and horror, in a most unusual way.
½ January 4, 2009
A comedy about low budget horror filmmaking. And relationships. Some nice moments and competently done by all, but nothing terribly compelling or new. It would be helpful if one of the four lead characters was likable.
January 1, 2009
Fun for a while. Good job of making realistic awkward conversations.
August 6, 2008
While pleasantly surprised by the performances, there really isn't much to say about this film. It is kinda funny, kinda scary, kinda good. It's very "meta"...and if I could put "meta" in more quotes, it would look like this """M-E-T-A""". Nuff said.
½ April 13, 2009
Not a bad little job if not terribly memorable....kind of like the Puffy Chair. I wonder if more resources would aid the Duplass Brothers or simply throw open their limitations.
April 14, 2008
A most curious psychological dramedy; call it "mumblecor-ror".
½ May 5, 2010
Welcome to Amateur Hour: filmed for about $137.89 (cabin rental for a day), this relationship drama masquerading as a horror movie starkly shows the difference between a poorly executed cheapie and 'The Blair Witch Project.' Manages to generate two scares, the rest of the time wasted lingering over the characters' shallow connections to each other. Writer/actor Matt and aspiring starlet Michelle (whose delivery resembles the next Darryl Hannah) have some screen charisma, but the other pair of this foursome are plain lousy. Hangdog Chad we're told by Matt is "the funniest guy I know" but never once tells a joke and is supposed to generate sympathy for his unrequited love for Michelle, but is such a meek douchebag that he doesn't really deserve any. Material for a 40-minute short stretched (barely) to a feature-length 75, including a tortuous 10-minute denouement before you can finally do something you'd rather be doing. Like weed the garden, take out the garbage, or care for your cousin's incontinent cats.
½ January 19, 2009
Here's an interesting movie about a group of friends wanting to make a successful movie. They decide to go out to a friend's Big Bear getaway when interests start to conflict when an idea becomes more than real. Worth seeing.
½ September 25, 2008
it was pretty good. I didn't laugh all that much but the suspense scenes were really effective. The movie was really short and the last scene felt like it dragged on forever but other than that it was an enjoyable flick.
½ May 23, 2012
While Im not normally a fan of mumblecore, this one is an exception as it actually has a plot and realistic characters, I was surprised how much I liked this, its my fave duplass brothers film, its both funny and scary, keeps you guessing as you never know whats staged and whats real, and also provides a realistic look at relationships, and people having crushes on other people and how it hardly works out, also pokes fun at real pretentious art film types, good stuff i say
July 25, 2010
This movie was very instering. It wasn't a good movie and it wasn't bad either it was some where in the middle. The acting could have been a lot better and the camera shots got kind of annoying after awhile. It's a good movie to watch if you are bored and there is nothing better on.
½ July 22, 2010
So, I am a big fan of horror, though I am not as big a fan of D.I.Y. crappy horror which is a majority of what's out there. This film is very self-aware in its parody of such filmmaking, but it delivers it with the annoying "mumblecore" genre and the forever annoying use of the crappy-out-of-focus-constantly-moving-cheap-ass-camera. ENOUGH! Set the damn thing down already! Could have rated higher, but it was just as annoying as those movies of which it tries to poke fun.
½ November 22, 2009
A mumblecore snoozefest, with the most uninteresting nothing to ever be put to film. The acting is ok, as everyone is playing versions of themselves (this is mumblecore), but that doesn't make them relatable or interesting, and bouts of nothing just happen, until a guy with a bag over his head shows up, and then disappears for awhile.
½ July 22, 2009
Four struggling actor friends seek shelter in a woodland cabin for the weekend to brain storm a movie. One girl dreams of a man with a bag over his head, and they decide to go with that idea. But, the man shows up to terrorize them...
I am all for B Rates and Thrillers. I like to scream as well as the next person. There was just one problem, this movie was neither scary or entertaining. I could see how this would be good story, but it was just all over the place. Shot very shaky with people who need to go back to acting school. Besides, I saw that twist coming ten miles away, a red haring or something a little less predictable would have been better. At least The Blair Witch Project had people fooled for a little while.
I did like the DVD cover, kind of a throw back to Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. Also, for the guys there was one boob shot. But, that hardly redeems this painful mess.
A note to Jay and Mark Duplass who wrote and directed this movie. Next time you get another brilliant idea and want to make it into a movie...Don't.
½ April 3, 2009
Not bad for an independent film. It's fairly scary at times. However, I was able to predict everything that happened.
March 7, 2009
After being at the top of the list at Rotten tomatoes, and being a huge fan of indie movies, I had to see it. Nothing to original, its like a cross between blair witch project and the strangers. If it was supposed to be scary then I totally missed that because I was to busy laughing. Its creatively funny with a twist. The acting was pretty bad but it kind of goes with the movie.