The Ballad of Jack and Rose Reviews

½ September 21, 2007
April 24, 2014
wow ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that daniel day lewis, camilla belle, catherine keener, beau bridges, jason lee (from the brilliant tv series my name is earl), play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch it has got a really sad ending for this movie......i think that catherine keener was great throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really sad movie 2 watch........its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that camila belle was brilliant throughout this movie as rose throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is a really sad movie 2 watch but its got such a good cast throughout this movie......i think that jason lee was brilliant thorughout this movie.....i think that daniel day lewis was superb throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch but it is such a superb movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.......
½ February 9, 2014
Here's proof positive, Daniel Day-Lewis is the finest actor alive today. This movie is utterly sad, slow, dull, and filled with people you'd never want to meet. Yet somehow his performance is still top notch, and the only thing that kept me from turning it off. How he raised a child like Rose makes you wonder just how out of it Jack is...Avoid this unless you want to see PEI and Candian Tire on the big screen.
December 28, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
cigaretteburns
January 4, 2007
this fucking movie totally weirded me out! like when you look up and see a spider crawling around on the ceiling.. that's exactly how I feel about this movie. I need to take a shower.
½ May 21, 2013
Daniel Day-Lewis joue à perfection ce rôle de 68ard écolo et hippie, perdu dans le monde américain des années 80. Camilla Belle, qui joue le rôle de sa fille, est magnifique et plein d'innocence. Mais comme il est dit dans le film, ce sont parfois les personnes innocentes qui s'avèrent les plus dangereuses... La relation père-fille est très forte, parfois même trop, mais on se laisse envouter par ces personnages rêveurs...
½ May 4, 2013
The Ballad of Jack and Rose is decent film. It is about a father and daughter isolated on an island off the East Coast and living on a once thriving commune grapple with the limits of family and sexuality. Daniel Day-Lewis and Camilla Belle give good performances. The script is okay but a little slow in places. Rebecca Miller did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
March 20, 2013
Fine acting from Lewis and Belle but the Ballad of Jack and Rose is a movie that only fans of independent or coming of age movies will enjoy. Rebecca Miller writes and directs this film about a young sheltered girl coming to age while her father is facing impending death. Lewis is brilliant (as he always is) but the script is limited and the story is at times so absurd that it become almost unbelievable. The audience tries to have sympathy for the young Slavin (Belle) but the poorly thought out script makes Belle extremely selfish and unlikable thus losing any emotional pull the audience may feel for her. Good effort but falls short of being a movie that people will talk about.
March 7, 2013
Camilla Bell is the greatest actress ever!
January 29, 2013
Unsettling drama with an intriguing premise and lasting performances from the two leads.
January 24, 2013
This movie is a disappointment. There are a lot of talented actors in the cast and they do a good job here. The story of the movie is uninspired. The script is weak and it makes the film not enjoyable to watch. The characters actions do not make sense some of the time. Definitely avoid this movie and watch some better ones made by these fine actors.
December 28, 2007
I wasn't sure if I hated or liked this the first time I saw it, but the more I thought about it the more I thought about it the more I thought about it and then I kept on thinking about it... now I'm pretty sure I do like it. Maybe not. This is a strange review.
December 30, 2012
Tackles some taboo topics that may seem often ridiculous but that doesn't change the fact that Day Lewis and Belle command your attention. The director does what she can to build mood but basically we're only here for the performances.
December 7, 2012
The Ballad of Jack and Rose
Synopsis: A single father tries to come to terms with his 16-year-old daughter Rose's coming-of-age. When the father's new love, Kathleen and her two teenage boys come to live with them, Rose undergoes a sexual awakening with both liberating and devastating co...
Starring: Beau Bridges, Camilla Belle, Catherine Keener, Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Jason Lee, Jena Malone
Directed by: Rebecca Miller
March 2, 2008
The whole point of a commune is to gather a group of people who want to make a difference in the future. They are tired of the way society's heading and want to turn it into a different direction. But what happens to the people who believed in these types of things even after they failed? What kind of lives do they lead? Jack was left by his wife before the film starts, and my guess is because she knew the world wasn't going to change with them. It was time to adapt and move on just like everyone else in the commune. But Jack stayed with his daughter Rose. They live without electricity and separate their garbage. They still live naturally, just no one else is there to do it with them. So what happens when the guy who has lived so passionately and desired a different life meets his end? Rebecca Miller tries to explore this but fails. She gets great performances out of already great actors, then can't save Camilla Belle's horrible acting. Perhaps that's a little harsh. The character seems all over the place. Not all over the place in the way where she's innocent and doesn't know how to react to things, but she starts crying and jumping on things before they actually come up. Nothing felt genuine and her lines were all shallow. The problem lies within the first act. No real buildup. We know these two are close and living on an abandoned commune together, but that's pretty much it. So when Kathleen shows up with her two boys we don't really care too much about the problems that are obviously about to arise. And when the problems do come about they are all something that a person would have thought of instantly if they imagined this idea first. There's no subtle building up to things, it just happens. For example, Rodney decides to cut Rose's hair instead of having sex with her and then literally directly after she looks at herself in the mirror she grabs a rifle and is prepared to shoot Kathleen. Really? There is not one second where I thought Rose was a killer, or that Kathleen had driven her to such madness. You could argue that this is because Rose doesn't know how to interact with people, but I believe she was just pulled out of school 4 years before this. I believe she's 15 and we hear Jack say she stopped going when she was 11. No, she's not that socially inept. The way she acts is as if she had never spoken to another person other than her father before. We understand she has an Elektra complex but I still think it goes too far. After a while I started feeling like the movie was about what crazy antics Rose was going to do to drive away Kathleen instead of the emotional difficulties of a girl who just wants to be alone with her father before he dies. The problem lies within the lack of emotional buildup. Miller gives us interesting characters and situations, but fails to deliver on almost every level. It's a shame, really. I liked the idea. Jack touched me at times, and I really liked Rodney's character. And Kathleen had a good complexity to her. I just don't think anything ever reaches its potential.
July 2, 2012
That was a strange little movie. Just loved the shinanigans that happened when the boys moved in. I can't beleive he was serious about the whole idea. It was doomed from the very beginning. I enjoyed the movie, but it doesn't sell to me the self sufficient lifestyle
June 16, 2012
zzzzzzzzz...is it over yet...Yup pretty much sums up my feelings
June 16, 2012
Wow what a slow paced, meandering piece of soapy drivel.
½ June 17, 2007
This film was great. Enough Said.
½ February 8, 2012