Baran Reviews

½ June 13, 2015
In a world of poverty, pain, and confusion, something unspeakably beautiful happens. The imagery sticks with you a long time.
October 1, 2014
A beautiful love-story told through chilling rainstorms, rising steam, and harrowing self-sacrifice. Majidi uses the medium of cinema to tell you a love-poem. Rich and beautiful, even amidst the grit of its street fights, cement, and poverty.
½ May 17, 2014
Yet another masterpiece by Majid Majidi. The best way to enjoy this movie is don't read any reviews, synopsis or watch the trailer. Just indulge yourself in this most humorous; yet touching movie from award winning director.
½ July 14, 2013
INCREDIBLE STORY ! so lovin' iranian movies
½ March 10, 2014
Once again the great Iranian storyteller Majid Majidi touches our hearts with a look at the beauty of his country and life among its working poor. And once again he teaches a lesson about an unfamiliar culture using poignant personal stories and liberal lacings of humor. This time, however, his tale is especially timely, focusing on the plight of displaced illegal Afghani workers in Iran. (The movie was made before 9/11/01, so, presumably, the Afghanis' plight is even worse now.)If you've not yet discovered Majidi's movies on DVD, I recommend the three I've seen--this one, along with "Children of Heaven" and "The Color of Paradise."
December 19, 2013
I have seen a couple of movies from there and both were very good, as was this one. It has characters your heart just bleeds for.
½ May 21, 2011
Romantic movie redefined.
August 28, 2013
A magnificent movie on humaneness of a young boy.
February 17, 2013
Simple Yet Beautiful......!
½ January 5, 2013
Beautiful and poignant!
December 16, 2012
another well-crafted one from iran.
realized i've watched this before fifteen minutes into it.
October 5, 2012
so much touchy...can feel the love of Lateef...
May 14, 2012
Very Enjoyable Yet Sad Iranian Film and Can Definitely Relate.
May 8, 2012
Great movie! Takes place in Iran where Afghan refugees have escaped their warn torn country. The government of Iran forbids employing the refugees and this movie follows a story line loosely associated with that legislation. I really liked it.
March 3, 2012
An honest love story with political overtones.....amazingly well shot, it uses natural colors to make even the most barren and isolated of places look beautiful!
March 19, 2012
Monday, March 19, 2012

(2001) Baran
(In Iranian with English subtitles)

Small story stretched into a well made hour and a half film! Excellent 1st act, okay second act and 3/4 of the story is conventional with a great 4th act! Similar to other border crossing movies between Mexico and the United States centering on immigrants looking for work, in this case illegal Afganies illegally entering into Iranian soil to make a dollar. Movie stars Hossein Abedini as Lateef whose assigned to the most easiest job of this construction site as tea server and he cuts corners by doing the least amount of work as much as possible to get more for his dollar. Upon coming to work, an injury happens injuring one of the workers, and on the very next day, an old man shows up along with his son claiming that he's working on behalf of the injured person in question! All was okay until this new person accidently spills plaster on another worker below and then Lateef making fun of him at the same time making the boss to pull Lateef out of his easy going job and then giving it to the young boy making him to work with the other workers. Lateef gets upset about this and threatens to get even with the little boy until he suddenly dumping wet plaster on him, who also got the old man he was walking with. The irony was that the supposedly young boy is really a young lady who appears to be almost the same age as the leading character changing his whole attitude toward her who has the opportunity to sqeal on her. This is just on the first thirty minutes by the way, meaing that the reason I'm describing this is that despite what people see on television and on the news about Iranians and about the people of Afganistan, some of the films coming out of there are civilized and non-violent which don't involve any political turmoil at all, with at the same time showcasing females labelled as second class citizens over coming their secondary class roles which is similar to what happened everywhere else no matter where you live. This film is originally a 75% but that one scene near the beginning when Lateef finds out who this boy really is, is powerful as they come.

3 out of 4
January 5, 2012
My only criticism is that the beginning was a bit slow and didn't really know where this film was going (I knew nothing about this film). Aside from that, this was a really simple yet touching movie.
October 23, 2011
The excellent movie which makes me to smile, laugh, cry and un-sleep...etc
July 12, 2011
Movie Gem of the Week: I loved it...nothing more to say.
July 6, 2011
I don't get the story completely but I can find the strength of this movie very fascinating.. The boy would sacrifice everything for a girl he didn't really know of.. He gives money, and all just for the sake of the family~ Amazing!