Barbershop 2: Back in Business - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barbershop 2: Back in Business Reviews

½ May 20, 2007
Not as good as the others but this is far better.
July 24, 2013
It may not be as hearty as the first but the film is still good regardless. Barbershop 2: Back in Business brings even more humor and melodrama to keep audiences entertained and happy about their experience. 4/5
½
Not nearly as good as the first one.
kpn666
December 13, 2006
A sequel as good as the first. The Barbershop movies are instant classics - and the second installment is just as fast and funny as the first - throwing in Queen Latifah with added good measure. ENJOY!
March 25, 2007
As funny as the first one. A must see... Ice Cube is proving himself as a director. Tackling issues community issues. An interesting ensemble of actors that are not going anywhere...Barbershop 3 in the works yet? LOL!
April 2, 2009
Not as good as the original, but I still loved it. Plus my girl Queen Latifah got to put Cedric Entertainer in his place! "Wadin' in the water!" LOL
½ May 25, 2016
2002's Barbershop didn't necessarily reinvent the wheel of comedy, but it's something quite unique. Hearkening back to Ice Cube's 1995 hit, Friday, the film tries to make use of the non-story. Instead, thriving on its characters and slow plot exposition.

In Barbershop 2, they try to duplicate the first one, but doesn't quite work as well--albeit almost. Whereas the writers, in the first Barbershop, seem to be on their own level, making their own rules, Barbershop 2 seems to channel a little too much Tyler Perry. It's a slightly more predictable and silly and transparent, and tries to please the audience too much.

An exception is the return of Cedric the Entertainer as the old man barber, Eddie, who never cuts hair, but will tell you every last thing that's on his mind. He's still got the edgy dialogue that would make today's PC crowd shiver in their organic Uggs.

In Barbershop 2, Calvin (Ice Cube) learns of a Supercuts-esque barbershop opening up across the street. The word around town is buzzing because this place is supposed to be like the country club of barbershops. Eventually, he finds out that the whole community is getting a facelift, which forces out all of the businesses who have worked hard establishing themselves as mainstays for the neighborhood.

The pacing is about the same, but feels much slower--mostly due to the reduction of sub-stories and B-plots. There are so many different characters, but each one's significance is lessened in order to better focus on the premise.

Both films are about integrity and doing the right thing, but this one just says it a bit differently.

It's funny, because as the film tries so hard to be deeper, the characters become less so. They're all just as likable, but the dynamics just aren't as strong.

As a stand alone film, Barbershop 2 isn't bad at all. In fact, it's quite enjoyable. The jokes won't really leave you rolling in the aisles, but there is plenty of smile-worthy dialogue. The content means well and provides us with the similar warmth that the first one gives us. A little less cool, Barbershop 2 can pride itself on at least giving us another taste of what made the first one so special without tarnishing anything.

Twizard Rating: 74
July 25, 2015
Very good movie. While it's not as laugh-out-loud funny and its jokes aren't quite as sharp as the first, its warm-hearted and more dramatic tone give the film a more matured feeling, and has great performances from its cast, especially Cube and Cedric.
½ June 28, 2015
I had a cockroach in my house so big, I thought it was Shaq.

Calvin's neighborhood has recently been flocked with investors trying to modernize the area. A rival barbershop is scheduled to move across the street that sounds amazing. Calvin and his workers will try to do as much customer appreciation events to prevent his customers from leavings; but as the store get closer to opening, it appears Calvin will go out of business.

"It's better to cut once and measure ten times then measure once and cut ten times."

Kevin Rodney Sullivan, director of Guess Who, Conviction, Father Lefty, America's Dream, and Moe's World, delivers Barbershop 2. The storyline for this picture is just okay and fairly straightforward but has some funny lines here and there. The acting is mediocre and the cast includes Ice Cube, Michael Ealy, Cedric the Entertainer, and Eve.

"The money isn't bad plus the money isn't bad."

I came across this on Netflix and decided to finally see it. This was okay and likely as good as Beauty Shop but a step down from the first Barbershop. I recommend seeing this if you liked the first one but with lower expectations.

"The last woman you slept with was battery operated."

Grade: C
½ May 3, 2012
Very funny movie! Nearly as good as the first Barbershop. I thought it was just as funny as the original, but I was not quite as into the plot line of Barbershop 2. Still a good movie. Recommended if you loved the original Barbershop. =)
½ September 27, 2010
Hot. Hilarious and a Happy Ending :) what more can you want? Even though it is a sequel, it doesn't let us down with the production, story and having the same cast is a bonus PLUS Queen Latifah?! = perfect. My absolute favorite part is Eve and bright blue eyes in the backroom, then in the car. It's cute and softcore raw.
½ December 28, 2009
Not to much has changed from the first installment. Barbershop 2: Back in Business offers up the same old boring characters and a plot that is even worse than the original had to offer.
December 7, 2009
Good sequel to Barbershop. Good cast, very entertaining. Most sequels aren't as close to the spirit of the original, but this one is. fine score, good pacing.
½ July 11, 2008
The inspired but ultimately lacking sequel to the hit wisecracking black American barber comedy flick starts off with promise, but soon fizzles into a madcap mess of a contest between the cast members to dare each other to break into the new shop being built next door. It more celebrates the stereotypes than mocks them. Queen Latifa (Chicago) is horribly miscast in the sequel.
June 6, 2008
The first one was better, but this is still good. Worth watching. The funniest thing is that the "rich, half-black bad guy" who is trying to ruin the neighborhood reminds me of Obama!
April 26, 2008
A far cry from the original, yet still has a couple of good moments. Most indelling contribution (I can't brlieve I'm saying this) is giving way to Beauty Shop, which is a better film.
½ April 21, 2007
I liked it perhaps a bit better than the original. Same kind of predictable standard plot, but warm and mellow enough to make up for it.
February 2, 2008
nowhere near the first. the plot relied too much on cedric the entertainer, who took it over the top.
December 23, 2007
For a sequel, this movie had big shoes to fill. That this movie did...stuck to the same formula that made the first one a hit. A wonderful family movie.
December 13, 2007
While the first one was a surprise hit...and I thought it was pretty funny...as is typical for sequels, they run some of the jokes from the first movie into the ground. Worth watching.