Basic

Basic Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 3, 2009
"Basic was a good movie with a lot of twists. Everytime I thought I had it figured out it changed on me again. It was surprising right down to the ending credits.
The movie is about the murder of Sgt. Nathan and most of his squad. The suspects are the rest of his squad that came back alive. Agent Tom Hardy is called in to investigate the murder with the help of Captain Juila Osborne. They don't really hit it off since Capt. Osborne believes she is more than capable of doing the investigation on her own. The story continues to change as the mystery of what happened to Sgt. West is unraveled.
The film has a pretty decent cast with a great performance from Travolta. I would see this one again."
Lady D

August 4, 2006
Full of twists and turns, but none of them particularly exciting, it's almost a film that tries too hard, the filming, I felt was a little too dark, visually speaking. Watchable, but easily forgettable.
familiar s

February 11, 2011
The movie was alright, but I wish they'd not pulled out the oldest story from the book for the ending. As if this weren't enough, its predictable twist is followed by several unpredictable twists. Now, this might be a positive point for some, but it turned me off. Besides being totally unnecessary, these twists were utterly nonsensical and ruin the ending of the movie. I'd have rather liked the movie as a thriller than as a suspense. Had it ended right before that predictable twist, I guess I'd have liked the movie more.
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
After dishing out twist after twist, many of which are predictable, this film saves the best till last! Very engrossing and unpredictable (as it turns out), this is a top thriller!
Al S

December 11, 2006
An intense and hard-boiled thriller. An edge of your seat ride with suspense and surprises that you will never see coming. You'll be guessing right till the very end. A gripping, electrifying, sensational, pulse-pounding and action-packed mystery. John Travolta gives an awsome and explosive performance.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 22, 2008
This is a great film, John Travolta played an awesome part. Alone with the rest of the crew. The interrogation parts were to real. The Mission parts real. Prior Military will enjoy, those who have never even looked at a uniform let alone put one on, most likely will not enjoy and give a bad review, my question, why did you even rent it. In my opinion a must see movie.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 24, 2007
sucked.
Luke B

April 17, 2007
A spin on Rashomon. Bringing it to modern day with a group of soldiers. This film also saw John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson reunited after Pulp Fiction. Only problem is they are hardly on screen together. Although the film is perfectly respectable, it sometimes fumbles about with the complex narrative and as the viewer I became as irritated as the lead investigator. Enjoyable but missable.
Dann M

August 21, 2012
Basic is a suspense thriller from director John McTiernan that's overly complicated and takes a few too many turns. The story follows an investigation into a training accident in which 4 officers have gone missing and are presumed dead. John Travolta, Connie Nielsen, Samuel L. Jackson, and Giovanni Ribisi lead the cast and deliver some really good performances. And the story is well told, and effectively builds the suspense and mystery...until the last act. It tries to be a bit too clever and it ends up backfiring. Plot failings aside, Basic still manages to deliver and intense and suspense drama with a captivating mystery.
Christopher H

July 23, 2012
Relying heavily on John Travolta's skills in front of the camera, Basic is held down mostly by its debilitating sets (basically just an office and a hospital bed) while completely keeping the audience in the dark with contradicting stories of what actually happened during the routine training gone bad, until, at one point, nothing makes much sense. Saved by an unforgettable twist ending, however, Basic is still able to reach a level of mediocrity worthy of at least being called an average thriller.
a b

February 15, 2008
Perhaps too many plot twists? Is that possible? But I was pleasantly surprised.
divinetrash
divinetrash

December 18, 2007
The movie thinks it's so smart because it keeps throwing twist after twist, when in reality what it is doing is change all the information all the time.
alanjayh
alanjayh

May 17, 2010
Remember the movie "The Usual Suspects??" If you enjoyed that one, run to see this movie! The acting by Travolta is a joy to watch, and the storytelling will hold your interest...the plot twists are like riding a rollercoaster and will keep your mind spinning. The ending is a stunner you won't see coming, trust me.
Lee K

March 10, 2008
meh...
Nikki M

April 6, 2007
The twist in this movie is subtle which makes it that much better in the end!!!
kylemydude
kylemydude

November 6, 2007
This movie keeps you guessing right until the very end, right when you think you know the truth, it switches on you into a whole different direction.
Chosen 7

June 28, 2007
Great film, superb performances and a good twist.
DrLappos
DrLappos

May 18, 2007
Very good story with a twist.
April 3, 2012
Basic is you basic twist and turn surprise ending flick. While nothing is great Basic is done well enough that it keeps you interested and even though it felt like one twist to many it had a pretty fun ending. Travolta is at his best and gives a great performance while Jackson lags a bit behind. The two together in Pulp Fiction was perfection here they share the screen for a few seconds but the magic is not there. Basic is good and will entertain but isn't a classic.
rodjeckrich
January 1, 2013
Basic is directed by John McTiernan, who has made some action classics like Die Hard and Predator. While this isn't an entirely action movie it is more of a thriller and it surprisingly works to a degree. It's entertaining, John Travolta is good and charming here, Samuel L is decent, it's got twists ala Rashomon and Usual Suspects throughout. Sometimes the music is cliched and weak and some actors have questionable accents. Probably the worst thing in this is Giovanni Ribisi and his scenes in the hospital. Travolta is an actor that I like a lot and get burned because he is in a lot of crap. Can you blame him though? Here is 20 million dollars to make a crappy movie..ok. Here he is a character that knows how to roll with the twists and turns of the plot. One of the things I liked about Basic was how it keeps you guessing, which some people will find contrived but I was entertained by.