Bat 21 Reviews

½ March 18, 2007
An ok film about a man trapped behind enemy lines in the vietnam war with a good cast.
garyX
May 13, 2007
Bog standard militaristic flagwaving from Hollywood, as the two stars run around behind enemy lines while spouting golf terms through a walkie talkie. Hackman keeps it bearable; the only poignant moment is when he actually sees the results of his orders in human cost on the ground. But that's of course quickly glossed over to get back to the gung ho action. Brainless.
deano
½ October 16, 2006
Incredible true war story of the backroom bigwig in uniform shot down behind enemy lines, and the black pilot trying to get him out.
½ April 10, 2007
I saw this when a friend let me watch some burnt dvd's he had. I noticed it said "Gene Hackman" and "Danny Glover", so I put "Bat 21" in my DVD player.
I was in for a major suprise. An unheard of Movie Special!
This film is so AMAZING. I have underestimated myself, and have learned to give some unheard of movies a try. This film is sheer Moviegoing-Bliss. Pure Action-War Entertainment.
DrLappos
June 27, 2007
Danny Glover is a great actor...Hackman is his usual best.
May 27, 2007
i liek this movie alot..though dealing with serious issue..still was nice to see what some soliders did and never got credit for.
½ March 17, 2007
better than you would expect, given it's lack of fanfare. I enjoyed it thoroughly - from a pure action / adventure standpoint. As long as you are willing to overlook some some unrelalistic stuff
½ February 26, 2007
Two solid performances from to great actors bring this film together and show the bond that only war can create.
December 30, 2006
½ April 15, 2015
The little war pic that could....good story with one great performance(Hackman0.
½ January 17, 2015
I apologize, but I do not understand how they managed to take a very intense and one of a kind Vietnam War story, star Gene Hackman and Danny Glover and turn it in to a (I apologize, but there is no other way around it) pile of steaming crap. This movie has no value whatsoever. I can not imagine who at their right mind at any point thought about this movie and figured that "wow, this was a cool, well made, action movie - awesome script, awesome story, awesome screenplay". Damn it, I have no polite words for it. It is just something that is there, there on your screen and it will be there for 1 hour and 40 minutes and when it ends it seems like all it was was some colors flashing on your screen and occasional face of Glover/Hackman/Reed. It was there and it actually wasn't. Dear lord, I am just speechless.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS MOVIE, THIS IS NOT EVEN CRAP ENOUGH TO BE FUNNY.
½ June 6, 2014
Friday, June 6, 2014

(1988) Bat 21
WAR

Story based from an actual person by the name of William C. Anderson from his own book of the very same name, who not only provided the screenplay but was also credited as a consultant. Takes place during the Vietnam War, with 'weapons countermeasures expert' Lieutenant Colonel Iceal "Ham" Hambleton(Gene Hackman) becoming stranded in the jungle after the plane he was in was shot down who appears to be the only survivor equipped with him is a walkie-talkie. And it is up to Captain Bartholomew Clark (Danny Glover) flying a "Cessma 337 Skylander" to keep him from either getting captured for a possible information leak or killed. And to keep each of their actual identities a secret, they each have to communicate with each other by using codenames- "Bat 21" as the movie is called is Hambleton's code name with Clark's code name is called "Bird dog". The scenes between Hackman and Glover are genuinely worth watching since both are veteran actors, but the rhythm in terms of the story structure itself by producers and anybody else who also wanted their two-cents in is convoluted since viewers never find out how the Vietnamese army ever find out that "Bat 21" is really a 'weapons countermeasures expert'! And the other thing that was very troubling was near the end when the movie was trying to convince viewers that the village was isolated, and it wasn't. That entire scene was dumb and was obviously there because producers wanted it to be there to liven the experience since they didn't think that to have two great actors correspond to one another was entertaining enough.

2 out of 4 stars
½ February 14, 2014
A well made, well paced and highly entertaining Vietnam war film. This is a good film for some Saturday afternoon entertainment with your dad.
½ October 21, 2012
Exciting and well told story
½ September 21, 2012
Great dialogue and performances by the leads.
½ July 20, 2010
Good movie of its time. Check it out if you like a good war movie.
June 26, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

Well-acted.
½ March 2, 2008
Bat 21 is based on the memoirs of Lt. Col. Iceal Hambleton who was shot down during the Vietnam war while mapping SAM sites for the US Air Force.

The real Iceal Hambleton spent 12 days evading the NVA and lost 45 pounds surviving on only four ears of corn before being rescued by Navy Seal Tom Norris. Both were awarded the Medal of Honor.

Although Bat 21 is a bit touchy feely or anti war in some scenes, it is a great story about personal triumph and courage in the face of insurmountable odds.

The chemistry that develops between Glover and Hackman draws you into the intense circumstances and despair of war through the eyes of a Lt Colonel who never was involved in war up close and personal.

This movie deserves to be in your DVD collection. This is the ticket for those rainy weekends when a story about courage, bravery, and is just what the doctor ordered. Bat 21 provides the inspiration in spades.
½ October 12, 2005