70% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Bat People (It Lives By Night) (It's Alive) Reviews

May 25, 2014
The Bat People (Jerry Jameson, 1974)

In the days before direct-to-video, you'd be surprised at the things that found their way to movie screens. If you were born after about 1984, when the VHS player explosion happened and DTV started becoming standard for low- and no-budget movies, it's possible you may not have any concept of this sort of thing. Hell, I was there and I find myself still surprised on a regular basis by some of what found its way onto the big screen between the formation of the MPAA and the proliferation of the VHS player. There are few examples of this that will provide you as much evidence for the lack of judgment of film distribution companies as The Bat People, Jerry Jameson's 1974 cheesefest about werebats. That's right, werebats.

Dr. John Beck (Raise the Titanic's Stewart Moss) and his wife Cathy (Hello, Dolly!'s Marianne McAndrew) are on vacation in the American southwest. Everything is going along swimmingly until, while caving, John is bitten by a bat. Much to his wife's chagrin, he starts experiencing bat-like qualities. Can she and a local doctor (Blood: The Last Vampire's Paul Carr) find a way to reverse the process before it's too late?

Everything you would expect from the lowest no-budget fifties Z-movie crapfest is here. Problem is, the movie was made in 1974. This is not to say the Z-grade creature feature had entirely died out by the early seventies, but the genre had at least gotten a little cachet when George Romero proved you could take a minuscule budget and non-actors and come up with a movie like Night of the Living Dead. Problem is, not everyone was George Romero. Sometimes even George Romero wasn't George Romero. (Between Night of the Living Dead and 1974, Romero would release his two greatest commercial failures, 1971's There's Always Vanilla and 1972's Jack's Wife.) Jerry Jameson? He wasn't even in the same zip code. As of this writing, Jameson has not attempted to direct another horror film. This was, I believe, a very good decision. *
April 28, 2012
It Lives By Night (AKA The Bat People, AKA It's Alive) is one of those bad movies that you struggle to stay awake and get through. I am definitely one of those people as I didn't make it the first time through. Thank goodness for the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew to liven things up a bit, and even then, it's still difficult to get through. I just wanted to smack the leading man who spent most of the movie in a state of whining. He looked like he needed someone to give him his bottle and lay him down for his nap. He's transforming into a bat, sure, but did he have to be so annoying? In any other case, the movie is horribly slow and uneven as hell. The lack of talent in the cast is just the rotten icing on an otherwise rotten cake.
March 4, 2013
Stupid, not scary, and pointless.
March 11, 2012
Excellent film to watch on MST3K, otherwise it's boring. The story isn't so great, and the monster is ok, but the effects were nice and was Stan Winston's first film to use his effects.
January 28, 2012
Actually, it wasnt horrible. However, I kinda wish it was worse. It would have been more fun if it watch if it was a train wreck. Its just a mediocre, poorly filmed, poorly written film.
AJ V

March 11, 2011
This is an okay monster/scientist movie, it's actually pretty good most of the time, and I liked the end, but it could have done a lot more with the story than it did, and it could have have better actors and script. Overall, it's pretty good, though.
dan9fromouterspace
February 1, 2010
A couple on a ski vacation go out of bounds at a batcave tourist trap, the husband gets bitten by a bat and turns into a werebat that looks bit like Michael Jackson in the thriller video. B-movie material if ever there was.
donibscott
September 27, 2009
This movie is NOT one of the best even in the B line. If you are looking for excitement or horror , do not look here.
soonergirl72
August 15, 2009
this is an old movie but its good
kms5079
March 3, 2009
Hilarious... I might actually watch it again... but not really.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 29, 2008
I expected this movie to be in Black & White with a title like that. But to my disappointment it was not. Can't give this one more then 2 Stars. I guess this was made for the Drive-In or maybe TV. My Copy came in a MGM Midnite Movie Double Feature. Starts of with Dr John beck and his Wife Cathy Exploring the Caverns of New Mexico in the desert, Well the honeymoon has just begun and Cathy gets a case of the horny?s and wants to go do the wild thing off away from the group tour, wham she slips down a shaft and rather then hubby standing at the top of the shaft and maybe get a rope, he joins her, then he is bitten by a bat and his nightmares begin. He runs around in his pajamas killing women as he turns into a Batman (Not the Bruce Wayne Type). He smashes up a beautiful Cadillac Ambulance. It takes a hour and 20 minutes to see what he look like when he changes. The top 3 actors went on to play many TV Series. Dr John Beck Played by Stewart Moss played in Baa Baa Black Sheep, Six Million Dollar man, Barnaby Jones, And Arcie Bunkers Place. Cathy Beck was played by Marrianne McAndrew who went on to play Quincy ME, Murder She Wrote, and Cannon,. And the all knowing sheriff who knew the bad guy from the start, played by Michael Pataki played in Rocky IV, Air wolf, and Star Trek, All 3 actors played in a lot more just wanted to give you an idea of there talent, but this movie didn?t take much. The sheriff ran around with a cigarette holder in his mouth most of the movie, guess that was cool in 74. I?d pass this one up if you have anything better to do, like wash the dishes.
October 31, 2008
stan winston early effects on this little gem
December 15, 2007
I'm honestly speechless at how dull this film is. It's like you didn't think it could get any more boring, then they throw in a boring car chase. Yikes. Poor Stan Winston and poor Matthew Leonetti.
Dr Blood

August 19, 2007
Another total bomb. It's slow, the script is dull, and the creature that the doctor turns into is ridiculous. Having a big beard does not make you into a bat-creature!
It's sort of like a werewolf film but with bats instead of lycanthropes. That's about as close to a plot as it gets and the characterisation is pretty much non-existent too. It isn't gory, sexy or horrific in any way.