Batman Gotham Knight Reviews

December 18, 2012
wanna get close to him, watch this movie.
Samuel Riley
September 4, 2012
Dark, gritty and clever. Featuring a disturbing atmosphere that fans of the games, films and comics will easily recognise. With some nice art designs and action, this also gets top with Kevin Conroy reprise his voice role as the caped crusader.
½ August 6, 2012
Story-wise Batman Gotham knight starts off a little badly but soon gets better - much better. The Amnie style animation works really well and brings something new and a little different to the mix which is refreshing but still entertaining. As always, Conroy voices Batman so fans can relax.
MANUGINO
January 7, 2010
Get Ready....To Rage Against Evil.

Good movie. I really like the animation style and stories. Batman truly is one of my favorite superheroes.

In this 6-story anthology collection, Batman faces new villains and old ones in a time-line after Batman Begins. In "Have I Got A Story For You", 3 kids tell wildly different stories about Batman during a fight through Gotham. "Crossfire" focuses on two policemen who end up getting in the middle of a crime battle. "Field Test" has Lucius Fox creating a new technology for Batman, but is it too powerful? "In Darkness Dwells" features Killer Croc and Scarecrow, who have kidnapped a priest. "Working Through Pain" goes through flashbacks of Bruce Wayne's training while Batman finds his way through the sewers. Finally, "Deadshot" focuses on the titular sniper, who has a new target in Gotham.
Movie Monster
August 15, 2010
In the style of The Animatrix, Batman Gotham Knight is six different anime segments that take place before the events in The Dark Knight.

All six segments are well-animated, well-told, and contain so much animated blood. The animated blood is a good thing because that proves that Batman can be pretty gritty.

Batman Gotham Knight is a must-see for fans of the Caped Crusader. Even the younger fans should give it a try. What?! My 6-year-old cousin saw it and loved it.

"I'm just doing my job."
November 19, 2009
A great anthology of Batman stories, set in the tone of Christopher Nolan's universe. While some of the animation was not my taste at all, it was not horrible. There were a lot of great segments and Kevin Conroy still plays an amazing Batman.
deano
July 14, 2008
This is a collection of 6 animated Batman stories (in Anime style) aimed to fill the gap between Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Each story is directed by different people but unlike Animatrix (WB's first animated filler compilation, done for the Matrix series), the look and feel of every episode is too similar to actually distinguish. The mood is more dark, violent and brooding than any other screen Batman interpretations. The first episode starts of relatively lightweight and is the most humorous. The stories then get edgier and darker.
But for me, the real joy of watching Gotham Knights is listening to the definitive Batman/Bruce Wayne voice that is Kevin Conroy, who has been the voice of Batman in every animated films and TV series.
July 2, 2008
Subway Bum: Hey Bats, when your flying around above the city, whats it look like?
Batman: It looks dirty.

Similar to the Animatrix, this DVD is comprised of six animated shorts, written and directed by a different people. The overall connection of these shorts serves as a bridge between Nolan's Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Besides serving as a good way to quell my waiting for The Dark Knight to come out, in terms of story, some are better than others, but the overall animation and music on each is wonderful. Its also nice that Kevin Conroy again stars as the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne, seeing as how he's been doing it in animation form for nearly 20 years.

The first short is Have I Got a Story For You. (3.5 stars) It involves a group of kids each telling a story about their encounter with the Batman. All the kids have their own perspective on what the Bat looks like as well.

Crossfire is next (4 stars). This story involves two cops arguing over the effectiveness of a vigilante in the city during a drive back from Arkham, when they suddenly are in the middle of a mob shootout. Batman arrives in time to show how effective he is.

Next is Field Test (3 stars). This story shows Batman testing out his hi-tech gadgets. While effective, Batman decides to only go to certain lengths after a side effect of a device causes problems.

Bruce Wayne: I'm willing to put my life on the line to do what I have to. But it has to be mine, no one else's.

In Darkness Dwells another one of the best shorts (4.5 stars). This story involves Batman's search for a deformed criminal known as Killer Croc and the Scarecrow who still roams under the city and uses his fear toxin. He works with Lt. Gordon this time around as well.

The next story is Working Through the Pain (4 stars). This is a dual story involving Batman's struggle with an injury to get out from under the city and flashbacks involving an early part of Bruce Wayne's life where he works with a spiritual women in search of finding out how to conquer pain.

Alfred: Give me your hand sir
[Batman standing in a sewer with handful of guns, further understanding the harsh reality he is apart of]
Batman: I can't

The last short is Deadshot (4.5). This story involves Batman facing of against a deadly assassin targeting not only cops but Batman as well.

As mentioned, all of the shorts are very well animated and scored wonderfully, which makes this whole thing worthwhile. Nicely done.

Lt. James Gordon: [Batman's been bitten by Croc] Are you in pain?
Batman: I work through pain.
July 20, 2008
Looking excellent and with top notch animation these Batman shorts are good. The first couple are abit odd and kinda surreal, I didnt enjoy them that much, but as the stories continue they get better and more like the Batman we know.
The stories envolving Killer Croc and Dead Shot are the best and show what could come in future movies.
December 15, 2008
Batman Gotham Knight is an anthology of six short cartoons with each one being very different from one another. Some are way too anime like and some look like an animated comic book. The stories are hit and miss, but most of the hits are very good and most of the misses are...
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ November 16, 2008
"Get Ready....To Rage Against Evil"

The producers of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight team with some of the most respected anime artists in Japan to explore Bruce Wayne's transition from tormented crime fighter to heroic icon of a crumbling metropolis. Separated into six distinct chapters but intended to be viewed as a whole, this stylized look at immortal DC Comics superhero is the result of a collaboration between Shojiro Nishimi (Tekkonkinkreet), Yasuhiro Aoki (Steamboy), Futoshi Higashide (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack), Toshiyuki Kubooka (The Secret of Blue Water), and Hiroshi Morioka (Chronicle of the Wings).

Review
Gotham Knight is both entertaining & beautiful to watch. Told in separate stories, through different perspectives, Gotham Knight isn't so much a straight-up tie-in to Christopher Nolan's brilliant franchise, but a companion piece. You don't need it but it's certainly worth the watch. While it does serve as a companion piece to the uber-realism of the Nolan franchise, Gotham Knight is very different in the fact it dwells on fantasy & the bizarre, for example Batman battles Croc, a deformed & gigantic monster in the sewers beneath Gotham. In this case however it is very fun to watch all of these different writers and animators take new and exciting twists on Batman's character, but keeping in tone with his morals. So while not necessary to see, I still recommend Gotham Knight highly to anyone who is a fan of any and all incarnations of the Batman.
CloudStrife84
½ August 24, 2008
As if The Dark Knight wasn't enough to put me in a Batman craze, along came this film as the icing on the cake. For those who are familiar to or have seen The Animatrix, I can inform that this one is built on the same exact concept, meaning it's not a full-length movie per definition, but a series of short animated films made by various artists and directors. Most of them were good both story- and animation-wise, while others (altough thankfully in a minority here) didn't really interest me at all. In that sense, this is in many ways a mixed bag, altough one that, as a whole, can only be described as very cool and visually impressive.
skactopus
½ September 11, 2008
Batman: Gotham Knight is an animated film surrounding the Batman character and arriving around the same time as The Dark Knight, it fits into Christopher Nolan's Batman universe.Story wise, this 70 minute animation is choppy. This is because the film is broken into 6 chapters or segments. Yes, there is some continuity throughout, but each segment can stand on its own since certain villains show up in certain segments. Sorry, there is no one major villain in this film. One segment even takes the time to focus on Bruce Wayne's training in the earlier days.Visually, this animation is alright, but not great. It falls in between the typical cartoon like Teen Titans and a Japanese anime like Cowboy Bebop. If you think about it, it is pretty close to something like The Boondocks. The atmosphere is dark, which is nice, and the violence is bloody. This is PG-13 and I think that is the right rating, but it is close to an R rating as well.The voice work isn't too bad. The characters with the foreign accents, like Cassandra and Ramirez, are good while most of the other characters, including James Gordon, Alfred, and Lucius Fox, are simply OK. This animation is a step up from a bunch of other animations, but there is still room for improvement. In the end, it is a good watch for Batman fanatics.
½ August 13, 2008
A cool smattering of different anime styles that is visually entertaining, but the plots aren't exactly Spawn material, even though they are a bit more mature than the many Saturday morning Batman shows.
Definitely worth a watch for Batman fans, but not unique enough as an anime compilation for me to recommend it as a top animated movie. In other words, this ain't no "Animatrix" and this DEFINITELY ain't no "Memories", but it's a cool pastiche, though shittily written.
thefog1331
½ August 8, 2008
Six half-baked stories about Batman by various animators with talents that range from fantastic to godawful (the first story in particular).
Rated PG-13 but it constantly flirts with R rated territory due to several gory scenes and alot of swearing.
½ July 18, 2008
Beautiful animation brings to life this cash-in on the imminent release of The Dark Knight. All the stories are great as short films but none of them have enough chance to really get going. I would have preferred a single story possibly based on The Scarecrow or Bruceā??s time in India. It brings forth mention of some of the new characters and gives us a feel for life after Carmine Falcone in Gotham city. Kevin Conroy is back as Batman and is of course amazing as he ever was. Though this does rather make me miss The Animated Series.
FilmFanatik
½ July 16, 2008
Although the first couple of stories feel like they were rushed for release, the last 3 stories were very entertaining. Although it doesn't take much from the films, it's enjoyable none-the-less, although, a more streamlined narrative story that appropriately works between films 1 and 2 would have been really cool.
Beefy
July 16, 2008
A not bad Animatrix-type lead in to The Dark Knight. Six stories, somewhat connected, bringing the viewer up to speed with the state of Gotham and Batman following the events of Batman Begins. The animation doesn't always fit the vocal work (or vice versa), but it was never boring. At the very least, it's something different to quench our thirst as we wait for July 18th to arrive.
½ July 12, 2008
Beautiful animation and great Batman stories voiced by Kevin Conroy. As for this bridging the two Nolan Batman films I firmly disagree. These stories work better as a great stand a lone and not incorporated into the movie Batman Universe.
½ June 27, 2008
Batman: Gotham Knight consists of 6 short Anime films that somehow tie Batman Begins and The Dark Knight together. The Batmanimatrix, basically. Some were really cool (Deadshot, In Darkness Dwells), some just okay (Field Test, Crossfire) and some were pretty much pointless (Have I Got a Story For You, Working Through Pain.) I'm told these are just episode excerpts from the Japanese Batman show redubbed and repackaged so Warner Bros can strike while the iron is hot with Batman being so big right now. Gotham Knight starts off pretty weak but eventually picks up to an great ending. If I didn't get the 2-disc edition (with a Bob Kane documentary and 4 Batman the Animated Series episodes) this might have been a total waste. Ultimately this is just something to watch when you're in a Batman kind of mood and you're burned out on everything else...