"Bat" Bits: Two Face AND The Riddler?

You know how superhero sequels often try to get a lot more villains into the mix? Well, recent word indicates that we'll be seeing the arrival of several colorful newcomers in "The Dark Knight."

Remember when we told you that Anthony Michael Hall was hired to play a role in the "Batman Begins" sequel? Well, one source indicates that he'll be playing a very well-known character -- while a second source states right out: Hall is playing Edward Nygma. Fans of the Batman comic book, TV series, or (ugh) "Batman Forever" will remember that Edward Nygma is the alter ego of ... The Riddler.

Also, early reports indicated that Aaron Eckhart would be playing District Attorney Harvey Dent, but that his Two-Face side wouldn't show up until future sequels. Or maybe he will, says Film Ick. Apparently the Two-Face make-up will be required on the "Dark Knight" set.

Lastly, fans of Maggie Gyllenhaal will be pleased to learn that her input has been very welcome where the Rachel Dawes character is concerned. Apparently she expected to be just another small cog in a very big machine, but after replacing Katie Holmes as Bat's love interest, she's been very "hands-on" with the character. (Plus she's a better actress.)

"The Dark Knight" hits theaters next summer ... as if you didn't know that already.

Source: IGN Movies, Film Ick, Batman On Film

Comments

oldnoakes

Tristan Green

uh oh...

riddler + two face + joker = trouble...

I sounded great so far. Got to keep my hopes up!

Jul 9 - 12:06 PM

kloo2

Kevin Kloosterman

It appears that there will be a more "real" continuity of villains. You will see a longer stretch of how they became villainous--it will be over 2 movies rather than just popping up in one. I don't foresee that the Riddler and even Two-Face will be prominent in the upcoming movie. They will reach their apex in the third.

Jul 14 - 11:46 AM

Sam jacobs

Maybe they'll be taking what we originally thought would be the "Two-Face" route and have the alter ego but not the actual characer until later.

But damn, I can't wait for this movie!

Jul 9 - 12:11 PM

Thundaar

Paul Fairbrother

Anthony Michael Hall? Not the actor I had in mind ... Still I am hoping for the best. So there will be Joker, Riddler, Two-face and Scarecrow in the sequel? Ok, still hoping for the best.

Jul 9 - 12:12 PM

Sam jacobs

Maybe Two-Face will have a small part in this movie but a larger part in the third film.

Jul 9 - 12:13 PM

WarSucksLetsParty

Fernando Barajas

thats what I was hoping

Jul 9 - 12:26 PM

Jul 9 - 12:13 PM

WarSucksLetsParty

Fernando Barajas

thats what I was hoping

Jul 9 - 12:26 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I'm not totally sure, but I think Two-Face is created at the end of the movie. And I doubt Nygma will be the Riddler in this movie at all. Wait until 3 for that one.

Jul 9 - 12:24 PM

WarSucksLetsParty

Fernando Barajas

thats what I was hoping

Jul 9 - 12:26 PM

originalsince84

Tim Toy

I would expect to see Harvey Dent be Harvey Dent and not "Two Face" for this entire movie. The majority of this movie will probably revolve around the Joker and whichever mob boss is in it. Dent, Gordon and Batman will probably spend the entire time trying to bring the crime lord down while Batman has his first confrontations with the Joker.

I'm hoping that Edward Nygma is being developed slowly and in the background, much like Dr. Conners is in the Spiderman movies. This entire movie should be spent on Batman vs. Joker, Dent vs. the Mob and then Dent vs. himself.

I think the degeneration of Harvey Dent into Two-Face is one of the best in Batman folklore. It would have been awesome if this franchise was developed enough to go for a full-length, Long Halloween.

Jul 9 - 12:36 PM

Sam jacobs

I really agree with your Harvey Dent being Harvey Dent statement. One of the things I loved (well, when I learned about it) about Tim Burton's first Batman movie was that only Harvey Dent was in it. It realized that there's more to a comic book character/ hero than his mask. (or, in Harvey Dent's case, a brutally scarred face)

Jul 9 - 12:39 PM

Jul 9 - 12:39 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I am looking forward to this sequel. It will rule 2008.

Jul 9 - 12:44 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

If 2008 was a normal year for movies I would agree, but I think that when the dust settles next year, Indy will rule the box office.

Jul 9 - 05:15 PM

Ultimale069

David Baril

[b]As IF![/b]
Indy had his time to shine back in the eighties. Unless the trailers blow people away, Batman shall rule. Indy isn't like Star Wars in the way people never forgot about those movies, they were still fresh in the mindsets of everyone, espcially with the rerelease they did a few years back- I suspect INdy will fare a little better than the new Die Hard, but not much.

Jul 9 - 05:30 PM

Devoted95

Faizan Laghari

[b]Indy can RULE!!![/b]
Well statistically speaking, the films/cartoons/TV series from 80's have proven to be one of the biggest box-office smashes of all time (hint: Recent "Transformers"). Yes Indy was the best in the 80's. But you have to remember, with changing times and technology, people wanna see new stuff. So, It'll be no suprise that the trailer will blow everyone away because the new film will feature splendid special effects, far better than that of the 80's. And with Harrison Ford/Spielberg/Lucas back at the helm, it's gotta be more than just an average scoring box-office flick.

Also, dont forget Bond 22.

Jul 10 - 02:16 AM

dolby70mm

Dan Last

Spielburg mentioned that there will be minimal CGI in this episode of Indiana Jones.

Jul 14 - 07:24 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I'm hoping they just give all these various villains a light cameo and keep the main flow focused on the Joker, cause honestly how many superhero movies have been clearly better for having multiple villains? Batman Returns is the only one that comes to mind for me and even that paled in comparison to the original.

Jul 9 - 01:25 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

The news keeps getting better and better for this film. I predict best comic book movie ever. Certainly the best of '08.

Jul 9 - 01:25 PM

Sam jacobs

Absolutley. Batman Begins was borderline unquestionably the best Batman movie, and the sequel, thus far, seems to be following the same route that made Batman Begins successful.

Jul 9 - 01:30 PM

Legit

Jordan Macky

Don't forget about Ironman, I still have high hopes for that.

Jul 9 - 02:08 PM

Jul 9 - 01:30 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

Is it still over a year until this comes out??

Jul 9 - 01:33 PM

Sam jacobs

Yep, but not to much over a year. Only 373 days, 7 hours, and 21 minutes (it's 4:39, and yes, I'm a math nerd :D )

Jul 9 - 01:39 PM

tankedsuperman

Marcus Kennedy

could you figure the time for the man of steel for me? these next 2 years will be amazing. batman, iron man, superman...oh my.

Jul 9 - 02:17 PM

Sam jacobs

Do you have the release date?

Jul 9 - 02:29 PM

Jul 9 - 01:39 PM

tankedsuperman

Marcus Kennedy

Jul 9 - 02:17 PM

Sam jacobs

Do you have the release date?

Jul 9 - 02:29 PM

Legit

Jordan Macky

Don't forget about Ironman, I still have high hopes for that.

Jul 9 - 02:08 PM

tankedsuperman

Marcus Kennedy

Jul 9 - 02:17 PM

Sam jacobs

Do you have the release date?

Jul 9 - 02:29 PM

uhhuhnads

Joey Kindergan

I don't like the idea of anthony michael hall as the riddler, I just can't see him for the part. Plus I can't see them making a non-retarded costume for him. But I know somehow they'll amaze us.

Jul 9 - 02:20 PM

TheDon1010

Donnie Williams

This is starting to sound like deja vu to me..........

Spider man 3 = critically acclaimed predecessor, high hopes, increasing number of villians and known actors
Dark night = critically acclaimed predecessor, high hopes, increasing number of villians and known actors

Nevertheless, I have a lot more faith in Nolan than Raimi. Dark Night should be great..........should be.

Jul 9 - 02:25 PM

Sam jacobs

Do you have the release date?

Jul 9 - 02:29 PM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

I really hope that this is just rumor mill crap.

First, I don't like Hall as the Riddler. Please no, too old. Secondly, and more important, first scarecrow returns, now both two-face and Riddler in there? Jesus, might as well throw robin, vikki vale and clayface in there. Keep it simple Nolan. Doing too much at once, you're either going pull the focus off of Bruce/Batman or not do these villians justice.

I'm a little worried.

Jul 9 - 02:38 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

"Plus, weren't we told that there were getting a few villians in The Dark Night that haven't been put to screen before. What happened to that?"

Most likely, this means the mob bosses (Maroni, etc.). What I think Nolan is trying to do is weave a complex web of corruption and crime, just as Gotham is supposed to be like. Think about it more on terms of The Godfather. It's almost impossible to name all the characters in those movies, yet it works very well (as long as Nolan doesn't cast his daughter).

Jul 9 - 03:11 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships