Batman Begins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Begins Reviews

½ February 5, 2016
In my opinion this is by far the best origin story to a superhero ever put on film. Very fun, smart, dark and a overall great film. If you are a fan of Batman you will not be disappointed!
January 31, 2016
Fun, although it's a setup for Dark Knight.
January 27, 2016
Batman Begins might be the most enjoable Batman movie there is. It is griddy, intriguing, has a great story, and manages to make you interested in a origin story, which is always very difficult.
April 30, 2011
A great set-up to the definitive Batman series.
January 17, 2016
fuck this ... free movie redeem code... yea,, to download something which needs a credit card.....
June 17, 2007
Easily the most damage that was done to this movie was from all the terribly cheesy lines thrown in throughout. Probably David S. Goyers fault, it's a good thing they remedied that in the sequel. Another good change in the sequel was the absence of Katie Holmes. She bugs me.
This is a great re imagining though. I don't know if it's as eye popping and effective as Tim Burton's Batman's, but it's different and goes places no other Batman story before it had gone before. Plus the visuals when people are effected by the fear toxin are freakin' awesome.
It does feel like by the time Christian Bale gets to rockin the cowl, the movies almost over, but, again, that kind of thing is what makes this a true franchise original. Which is good because another Batman along the lines of those Schumacher fiasco's and I may have given up on movie Batman altogether!

10th Anniversary review:

People always say this, but it's hard to believe Batman Begins is ten years old already. I feel like just yesterday I was holding its little celluloid feet in my hands, in awe at the miracle of cinematic birth. Wondering how such a complete, fully realized baby Batman movie come from such a tiny little egg of inspiration from Christopher Nolan's intellectual loins?
But it is ten. And even as its faults are more apparent than when it was an infant. And even as it's talking back and breaking my stuff, I still have a soft spot for the little bastard.

It's hard to believe it now, what with his cinematic carte blanche and apple basket full of truly original and often mind boggling mega movies, but before the Dark Knight trilogy, Nolan was just a sharp minded film dude with a couple of cool, smaller scale flicks under his belt. Upon hearing that Warner Bros., who he had just worked with on Insomnia, were looking to reboot the Bat, Nolan approached them with his vision: a more realistic, down to the earth origin story. One that focused on corruption and faded ideals, rather than sewer dwelling bird men, or cartoonish jokesters. A darker Batman movie. Far darker, literally and figuratively, than even Tim Burton's oil black Batman from 1989 and his even blacker Batman Returns sequel. Most importantly, he wanted to create a film that would wash the soured taste of the ludicrous Joel Schumacher films from the mouths of Bat fans the world over (is there a worse movie in the history of crap film than Batman & Robin?)
I'm sure the studio was initially sceptical, but they handed over the reins and set Nolan loose on what would become one of the biggest (in terms of dollars spent, dollars earned, ideas and acclaim) movie trilogy's of all time.

The biggest hurdle that Batman Begins must face today is the power and quality of its successors. I would say it's more or less unanimous that The Dark Knight is considered the crowning jewel of the trilogy. And while it has its detractors, I think Rises is also a better movie. So is it possible to consider Begins on its own merit? Can you watch this film without wishing for the Joker's twisted visage? Or for the pure enormity of Rises and all it tries to accomplish in its two and a half hours? No, you can't. If you've just crawled out from under a rock and have never seen the other two, than Begins will be a better movie to you than it will to me, or to the many of us who have seen the series get better and better.

Which isn't to say the other movies were perfect. The Dark Knight is still a bloated affair. Overfilled with two faced bad guys and political plot lines that tangle and detract from the more interesting Joker narrative. And Rises' biggest fault may lie in its central antagonist. I love Tom Hardy and I love his performance in the film, but his voice is too damned loud and his dialogue is too damned silly. Also, if the ending of that film in regards to Batman's fate is to be taken literally, it is a sad, gutless cop out on Nolan's part to appease the studio and those in the audience who like their movies by the numbers. The fact that there's just enough doubt and a possible smoke and mirrors show going on, redeems this though. Even if the smoke and mirrors were optimistically placed there by those of us who refuse to accept rainbow smiles at the end of a dark and troubling three film narrative.

I do, however, remember that I didn't enjoy Batman Begins as much as its consensus of reviews claimed I should. For one thing, it takes too long to get to the man of the hour. The caped crusader doesn't show his cowl for a full hour. That's almost half the film devoted to his backstory, his training and his finding his self. All of which are important precursors and indeed I would fault the film omitting any of them from its narrative. But the amount of time spent on them could easily have been cut by a good twenty minutes.
Once Batman does finally show up, however, the movie kicks into high gear and stays there for its remainder. Actually, if you know the backstory and are more interested in the bat kicking ass than where he came from, you can start watching the film from that first bat scene on the docks and have a great, fast paced hour and twenty minute Batman movie in front of you.
Begins also suffers from what all the movies in the trilogy suffer from, which is characters in excess. Nolan and his writing partners are always trying to shove too many people into the story. I get that the Batman universe is a large one, filled with interesting characters and villains. But a more minimalistic approach to the roster would've served all three films much better than a dash of Two-Face here, a pinch of Victor Zsasz there. If for no other reason than that there's not enough time to give these characters a proper story arc and many of them feel underwritten.

Begins is still a damn good movie though and its pluses definitely outweigh its negatives. If you are a sucker for a detailed account of Bruce Wayne's pains and gains before Bat life, you'll love the first hour. I love the scenes between Bruce and his father and the special bond they shared. It helps give that punch in the gut when his parents are gunned down in front of him that extra bit of oomph. I also love the Applied Sciences wing of Wayne Enterprises and the explanation (finally) of where the hell Batman gets all those wonderful toys.
With the exception of Katie Holmes, who I wasn't sad to see replaced for the sequels, the acting in the Dark Knight trilogy is roundly brilliant. I still have a soft spot in my bat heart for Michael Keaton as Batman, but Christian Bale brings an intensity and commitment to the role it needed for this trilogy, silly deep bat voice or no.
And that goes for Cillian Murphy as well. His performance, and his character, are overshadowed by the awe inspiring turn from Health Ledger as the joker and the larger than life intimidation of Tom Hardy's Bane. But he's fantastic as the mad doctor who likes to terrorize his patients with a sack over his head as Scarecrow.
And visually, this movie is amazing. The Gotham of Begins is a more cartoonish one than in the sequels. And while some of the architecture is neat and fun to look at, I prefer the more real world feel of Knight and Rises. The Narrows, however, a low income slum near Arkham Asylum, is an inspired piece of set design and serves well the film's most visually inspired set pieces.

The best thing that can be said of Batman Begins ten years later, is that it doesn't feel dated. This film could come out today and no one would bat an eye (bat puns also never get old). I can say with confidence that that will be the case on its twentieth anniversary as well. Nolan is a filmmaker who shoots organically (without CGI) whenever humanly possible and this protects the aesthetic of his films from premature ageing.

I can't say that Batman Begins is the best comic book origin story ever. Because it isn't. And I must retain that it is the least of the Dark Knight films. Because it is. But it is a damn good movie. Even if, because there were two better behaved children that came after it, it will never be as good as it was before it had siblings.
September 14, 2012
The start of Christopher Nolan's fantastic trilogy is one of the best origin stories for a character ever told on screen. This movie is well done in every sense: the acting is great, the writing is great, the cinematography is fantastic, and the story it tells is utterly brilliant. Bale owns it as Bruce Wayne/Batman, portraying the damaged character with a calm energy that makes you really sympathize for him. Oldman, Caine, and Freeman also make you care by pulling off great performances, and Katie Holmes does her best as well. The standouts are the villains portrayed by Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy, who steal every scene they're in. The story is heartwrenching and amazingly paced and directed. The editing is a bit quick-cut at times, and can make certain scenes a bit hard to follow.The music also is fantastic, making scenes even more intense. The editing and some slow scenes make up the only flaws of the movie. The rest is intense, filled with amazing action, and features an awesome ending. This movie starts off the Dark Knight Trilogy in fantastic fashion, and some people wondered how Nolan could top this. 9.5/10
½ January 13, 2016
One of the best comic book movies up to date.
January 4, 2016
I have to admit, I was not fully familiar with Batman before this film, but I still think it's an excellent movie. It has a nice dark tone and spends an equal amount of time on both the hero's orgins as well as the villain and his plotline. A lot better than the 1989 movie I think.
November 12, 2015
10 years old and still the best Superhero reboot of all time. Nolan understood what he was working with and he really gets the cast perfectly. Christian Bale is by far the best Batman live action wise and for the first time ever live action we see how Bruce Wayne becomes Batman and there's not a signal scene that's boring or dumb.
December 19, 2015
Though the first half of the film is used for heavy amounts of setup, the second half of the film demonstrates a flourish into an intelligently plotted and action packed superhero film. Overall, "Batman Begins" is a superhero that works by delving deep into the characterization of its protagonist and offering moments of thrills and suspense.
December 17, 2015
BATMAN resurrects in the hand of Christopher Nolan
December 13, 2015
'batman begins' has an introverted, miasmal spirit which is invigorating for the genre. it's a smart and highly perspicacious inquiry into the batman legend. but it's almost too sedate and soporific for its own good. nolan and bale are intense, consummate artists. but the former is hardly an exciting filmmaker here. he's uncomfortable with action scenes, so the film lacks delectableness.
½ July 24, 2011
A dashingly dark and emotionally deep portrait of the famous super hero that provides depth and mortality to a legendary character.
½ May 1, 2011
Director Christopher Nolan done his usual art of masterful perfection to give the black crusader a strong, deserving, very well-defined and finely-performed film that stands on solid ground above the others before it. (A)

(Full review coming soon)
March 27, 2012
Nolan makes Batman Begins a incredible introduction for the series, with a great cast and a great scrip. And for me, Christian Bale gives us the best Bruce Wayne ever.
June 7, 2015
A Great batman movie.
½ December 3, 2015
Originally finding out that Batman was going to be rebooted once again I was really skeptical. After Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, the franchise was not just dead, but destroyed. The last two batman movies before this were so terrible that I didn't even want to think of seeing another movie about this superhero ever again. Batman Begins introduces the world to Christian Bale. Although known, he was still an unknown as to how good of an actor he was. And although knows as well, Christopher Nolan was yet to be put on the map as one of the best directors ever. Yes, people knew him from Memento which was loved by most, but how could anyone really bring this franchise back to life ? Not only does Nolan bring the character and franchise back to life, he makes the first of three of the best movies ever made, period. The fact that this trilogy is mentioned in the same breath as classics like The Godfather and Jaws is incredible, after all its Batman. I was absolutely blown away seeing Batman Begins. We get the origin story of the character more clear than it has ever been done before. How did it all get started and why ? Nolan answers all those questions. Most of the movie is literally the beginning of batman as the title suggests. He doesn't just do a quick story about Bruce Wayne's parents being murdered and then the next thing you know he's batman, no this goes way more in depth than that thankfully. Once the action starts it gets even more thrilling and exciting. The way Nolan made these movies was to humanize batman, making it more realistic and relatable to the common person. A batman movie has never been so gritty and raw. The best part about this trilogy beginning with this movie is that it was not made as a kids or family fun summer blockbuster movie. This is Batman for adults, making it way more relatable and real. Do yourself and favorite and start watching this trilogy starting with Batman Begins.
½ November 30, 2015
Christopher Nolan takes an interesting take on an iconic character, and the performances by Bale and Freeman are worthy of Oscars.