—— Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Batman Returns Reviews

July 19, 2007
Good sequel. A little too dark though. Did the Penguin have to be that grotesque?
Miles K.
July 20, 2014
A very strange and offbeat action film. Better and badder than the first.
September 15, 2012
Burton is given free rein, and makes the darkest Batman film to date. its entertaining beyond belief, and while somethings make literally zero sense (even for a superhero film) Batman Returns is a massive improvement over the good but over disappointing original. now if only Burton was allowed to direct Batman 3.....
sufitx
July 13, 2014
I have yet to see a better interpretation of Catwoman than the one we see in this movie. Michelle Pfeiffer is brilliant. Danny DeVito was a little too over the top, but his performance in no way detracted from the movie as a whole. Say what you will about Tim Burton, but he sure gave the Batman an interesting twist.
February 20, 2013
Michael Keaton does a great job in this role and the Penguin was such a character. Lots of action, great entertainment.
July 12, 2014
My opinion changed a few times with this movie, I first loved it as a kid, then suddenly hated it, then after watching it again after many years, I liked it again, I know right, it keeps changing. Anyway "Batman Returns" is a good movie, with even more great performances, spectacular action, and more beautiful gothic imagery! Though it's not perfect, it's a good time!
May 24, 2014
Batman Returns darkens the mood even more than its predecessor and delves even deeper into the psyche of Bruce Wayne/Batman and his villains.
July 8, 2014
I can't watch this it's really gross and not a batman movie it's a tim burton movie staring batman
July 8, 2014
Here is my reaction to this movie: WHAT THE SERIOUS FUCK? The Penguin is weird and not at all like the comics, and what's more, he (get this) MIND CONTROLS PENGUINS TO TAKE OVER THE CITY. Apart from that complete weirdness, the acting is great, the design is great, the story is great, and overall, though not nearly as good as the first, Tim Burton and Michael Keaton succeed in creating an excellent sequel to an absolute masterpiece. Sadly, it all goes downhill from here...
April 8, 2013
What the hell was that? I can now understand why it got all the complaints it did. The violence always manages to take it a step too far and just becomes gross, they clearly didn't do their research with The Penguin and Catwoman's origin here was just dumb. Too far. Batman 89 got a good balance where this one just utterly failed at finding the right balance. There are some good bits and great casting and terrific performances from Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer.
April 27, 2014
Tim Burton maintains its great aesthetic, it's great! Michael Keaton is still great. And Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer give us strange, disturbing but great performances.
June 14, 2007
Where is batman? Sadly this is a penguin and catwomen movie instead. It is not really that either. Both characters are the complete opposite of their comic counterparts. Unless you want to see the Batman (tv series) story of the penguin running for mayor adapted in a Tim Burton way, or love the idea of villains using penguins with bombs on them this movie is not for you.
DanOMovieguy
November 16, 2013
Batman Returns is fun with some good casting choices, but never takes itself seriously.
Kareem A.
June 23, 2014
Tim Burtons second batman movie improves in characters and plots. (7.5/10)
June 22, 2014
Originally, I was put off by this film's dark violence. Then, who am I kidding, I love the dark. The problem is that Batman is probably the least interesting thing about the movie. I still left the film wanting more Batman and a stronger Bruce Wayne, which we eventually got with the Nolan Batmans. Today, it is remembered better than the 1989 film, which is interesting. I still wouldn't take a child younger than ten to see this, but it does have greatness in it.
May 30, 2012
Dark than 1989's Batman, Batman Returns has that sequel feel in that everything seems bittersweet as the film is more about the title character. Michelle Pheiffer's Catwoman as a sort of wild card character is interesting. Max Shreck, played by Christopher Walken steals the show, rather than Danny DeVito as the grotesque Penguin.
Eric B.
August 12, 2012
Very weird and disappointing movie. Michael Keaton was still great as Batman but the Penguin character was WAY off. Although the actor played him well with what he was given, his character was written way wrong since he is not supposed to be a monster living in the sewer but instead an evil business man that is corrupt. Also Batman killed way too many people in this movie, which goes against his biggest rule of no killing.

Only good thing is Batman/Keaton and Catwoman they were great.
June 12, 2014
It might be one of my personal favorite Batman movies. It's one of the darkest installments of the franchise, and it gives both of the villains interesting back-stories and even more interesting personalities. The movie's unpleasant at times, but this allows for a viewer to step inside the minds of its characters more thoroughly.
Steven G.
June 9, 2014
A Step Up in every way. Danny Devito, Micheal Pfeiffer and Micheal Keaton steal the show. One of my all time favorite movies
Drew B.
June 8, 2014
With Tim Burton's dark atmospheric view, Batman Returns is creepy, but still has a deeper political message to it