• Batman

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Batman: The Movie Reviews

Phil H

March 13, 2008
So after the television series exploded into American homes with a gusto back in 66 it was decided that the movie would go ahead in the same year. Originally the film was suppose to come first and promote the TV series but it was deemed risky money wise. This was the very first movie based on DC's Batman and it was big...big on everything! I love the artistic and quite noir-esque opening credits sequence I might add, really sharp imaginative sequence.

Considering the film is pretty much a kids flick and just like the TV show with goofy camp comedy, the plot is actually quite convoluted. I remembering watching this over and over as a kid but always found the story confusing...maybe I was just thick. Basically the villainous super team of The Penguin, The Joker, Catwoman and The Riddler kidnap this old sailor fellow for his new invention which can dehydrate people into dust. The team intend to dehydrate all the important people in the United Nations Security Council for ransom I think. The whole film only seems to consist of various attempts by Batman and Robin to capture the villains but getting foiled by various dastardly traps. Wash rinse and repeat this formula over and over in different locations with different villains and weapons.

Now I know I shouldn't really moan about this film as I'm sure everyone knows what to expect here, heck the film and TV show were made like this deliberately. We all know this franchise was basically a spoof-like tongue-in-cheek parody, larger than life with bright bold colours, insane over acting, truly ridiculous gadgets toys and vehicles for merchandise purposes and extreme levels of camp. So that is a given and we're all fine with that.

'Holy Captain Nemo!'

But that still doesn't quite make up for the bizarre plot frankly because it makes no real sense, am I expecting too much here? I was never really quite sure what that dehydration thing was really for, why on earth would you need a thing like that? what was 'Commodore Schmidlapp' gonna do with it?! Then there is the question of why the villains went to so much trouble to kidnap the Commodore just for the invention...just so they could dehydrate the UN folk and kidnap them? Wouldn't it have been easier to just kidnap them? I guess with them all turned into piles of dust makes it more convenient heist wise.

Everything is so elaborate in this film, the villains go to such crazy lengths to try and kill off or trap the dynamic duo its hilarious. The Penguin seems to have this surreal assortment of exploding sea creatures at his disposal, they just sit and wait in the ocean for Batman or Robin to drop in. The Riddler appears to be the most unhinged and merely displays his riddles everywhere (sometimes via massive nuclear missiles!) whilst wearing his pink girdle, Catwoman slinks around purring seductively (quite enjoyed that) and the Joker is merely a lackey for the Penguin. But seriously what the hell would anyone need an exploding octopus for?? The Penguin runs the show really whilst the others just take orders but its amazing to have them all together, more would have been even better. Their henchmen are also a fun colourful bunch of pirates wearing lovely hooped shirts and with some great names like 'Bluebeard' and 'Quetch'. Oh you've got that brilliant tilted camera angle every time the villains are on screen too...classic.

Need I mention the cast? the line up is like an all star team from the past. Could Meredith go any further overboard with his Penguin laugh and waddling? or Romero with his cackling Joker? These guys are so good in their roles its scary, they clearly loved doing it and that comes across whilst watching making it such a joy. Yeah Gorshin looks kinda cool yet also kinda foolish in his green spandex and that pink girdle (love that question mark design though, how iconic is that now!). Its hilarious how Romero refused to shave his moustache so the Joker always has that dirty mark above his lip (never could work out what that was when I was a kid, it looked like they hadn't done his makeup right). Meriwether is dangerously hot in her catsuit (very risque for young boys that), so amusing how she throws her black cat about, like what for?! But she's even hotter doing her Russian accent phew! I preferred her over Newmar I think, just sexier. End of the day we know all the cast and they are all brilliant hamming it up in their roles, flawless performances from everybody.

Of course the other fun aspect of this film and the franchise as a whole is the insanely daft Bat gadgets that enable the dynamic duo to escape virtually every flippin' scenario they encounter. Its almost boring really because you know these two simply can't die or ever get hurt, sure they get captured here and there but that's it. The fun bit is seeing what ludicrous instrument they produce to evade the clutches of the bad guys...and they just keep coming in this film. The Batcave a treasure trove of Bat equipment that comes in handy for every situation but overall I just fudging loved the shark repellent Bat-spray! its so utterly absurd and funny you just gotta go with it. Dig deep enough though and there are some nuggets like the Bat-spectrograph Criminal Analyzer, Batanalyst, Lunar Scanning Screen, Film Developer Tank, Drinking Water Dispenser, Terrestrial Scanner, Anti Crime Computer etc...and its all labelled in big bold letters just in case (I guess even the dynamic duo get confused with all their similar looking dull grey coloured crime fighting equipment).

I also love the ingenious devices the dynamic duo use (well Batman) for other situations like when they're magnetised to an ocean buoy. At that moment Batman just happens to have a Super-Energy Reverse Polarisor to stop the incoming torpedoes from Penguin's submarine. Its also brilliant how the bad guys know Batman is using his Super-Energy Reverse Polarisor...like its a common weapon in the fight against crime. I tell ya, if it wasn't for Batman...Robin would be toast half the time. All he ever does is whip out quickfire holy tags...of which there are loads in this film I can tell you. Oh and the Super Molecular Dust Separator...certainly super alright, damn you're good Batman.

I mean honesty, is there anything funnier than seeing both West and Ward doing that running sequence against that horrendous bluescreen city background as the dynamic duo leg it to the UN headquarters. And that dialog! 'luckily we're in tip top condition, it'll be faster if we run'. Cue the pair looking like complete idiots in their outfits running through the streets of a bustling New York before we cut to the side splitting bluescreen effect.

The film is preposterous, even more so than the TV show, they ramp this movie up big time and just go for broke with everything. Due to the success of the first TV season they could do this without much worry, Batman was huge. There are more Bat-vehicles, lots more set detail, more locations, a lovely penguin themed submarine set (and model) along with bigger stunts and action set pieces. Its the TV show but through the roof with cheesy zany comicbook tomfoolery that really does look like a classic comicbook with each scene representing each hand drawn panel. This really is a joy to watch and a bit of history, we won't really see a film like this again, even Schumacher's 'Batman and Robin' can't come close mainly because that was meant to be a serious blockbuster. This fantastic movie simply does everything right, what you know love and expect, plus its a perfect family film. Best to brief the kids beforehand though as this isn't the Dark Knight they know of, no moulded plastic here...pure West.

'If Robin and I were to remove our masks, the secret of our true identities will be revealed!'
Christopher H

July 10, 2012
A nice piece of camp cinema that tends to be pushed under the rug by fans of the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy. Deliberately cheesy and filled with hilarious dialogue. I mean, where else can you find a movie with lines like, "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.". Plus the endearing chemistry between the dynamic duo of Adam West and Burt Ward keep things going even through some of the slow sections of the film. Not nearly as good as the later live-action entries but worth a viewing nonetheless.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
1966! This started it all! The most awesome part is when someone is hit, an onomatopoeia shows up. I loved this OG Batman.
Alexander D

July 20, 2011
Meh; pretty cheesy--more corny humor than action in this superhero movie. I guess it's worth watching, but BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT are much more worth it.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 8, 2009
He's Here Big As Life In A Real Bat-Epic.

Remarkable! You have to appreciate this movie if you're a Batman fan, this movie had it all. Sure it's old but it has so many good things going on you can't help but to enjoy it. BAM, SPLAAT, URKKK, BLURP there's a bunch of this phrases thrown around, love em! Nothing like a classic Batman movie.

This campy Batman movie based on the 60's hit series, is full of all your favorite main villains. The villains team up on a plot to destroy all the worlds leaders from a peace summit. Batman and Robin are entangled and nearly destroyed. Bruce Wayne's alter ego falls in love with a lady, who is purrrfectly sweet. But if looks could kill.....

The mayhem begins when the Dynamic Duo sail into the ocean on the Batboat to the yacht of Commodore Schmidlap, a yacht that proves to be a holographic hoax that leaves Batman caught by a shark filled with explosive that must be defeated with a handy can of Shark Repellent Batspray.

The four villains - The Penguin, The Riddler, The Joker, and Catwoman - use the ocean buoy that projected the hoax to lure Batman and Robin into a magnetic torpedo trap, but a powerful reverse polarizer by Batman saves the day for the moment, only to see the batteries run dry - until a school of noble dolphins rescues The Dynamic Duo from The Penguin's underwater missiles.

The Fearsome Foursome set another trap by kidnapping billionaire Bruce Wayne, a trap that goes awry and leads to a hectic dash by Batman to dispose of a bomb with innocent people all around and Batman left to mutter about how getting rid of a bomb can't be done on certain days, which leads to yet another supercriminal trap involving The Penguin himself infiltrating the Batcave with dehydrated thugs - whose rehydration goes wrong and leaves Batman to trick the Penguin into leading them back to his criminal cohorts' scheme at the United World building, where the supercriminal scheme takes place and a final confrontation on The Penguin's war-surplus submarine ensues.

Find out the outcome of this confrontation in this exciting feature length film. Same Bat-time same Bat-channel.
michael e.
michael e.

February 24, 2011
A great movie tie in of the original TV show
AJ V

September 5, 2010
The most hilarious Batman movie ever made! If you like Batman you need to see this movie, even if you haven't seen the show. I love West as Bruce, he's awesome. The story brilliantly combines four Batman villains too! So, go down to your local Bat Video Store and rent this Bat movie.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
3 stars
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Say what you want about this, or the series it's based off of, but I like this. I like the darker and edgier Batman a lot more, but this is a fun and campy guilty pleasure that I can't help but enjoy. It may be silly and goofy, but it's better than what Schumacher did (although admittedly, I do like Batman Forever- it's kinda good). At least here, peple didn't expect it to be too serious, which is partly why it works.

Maybe it's just my enjoyment of kitsch that causes me to like this. Not that all kitsch is created equal or good, but c'mon, do we have to be serious all the time? I'm amazed that they found a way to have som many characters in this and actually have it all work. Why couldn't Sam Raimi have taken lessons from this and applied them to "Spider-Man 3"?

The performances are good, the humor is good, I like the music, and, despite the obvious shortcomings with the fight choreography, it's hard not to like those fights, either.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 3, 2009
Not even in my Nightmares I thought there is a Movie like this out there. lol
Conner R

November 19, 2009
It's a campy adaption of the most beloved comic book character of all time. It is laughable at best, having little relation to the original storytelling, aside from some of the costuming. I have no idea what was trying to be attempted here, but it certainly wasn't Batman.
TheGame90
TheGame90

November 11, 2009
Hey....he's a bat. how is that not funny?
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 28, 2007
"you just cant get rid of a bomb some days." this is definitely the kind of flick that is soooo bad that its good, but this film was obviously intended to be bad. from exploding sharks, to suicidal dolphins, to the pentagon selling a nuclear sub to a guy with no address, nothing in this film is supposed to be taken seriously. having said all of that, the batman fan in me has fun watching this flick. sometimes i just pop it in for some campy and light hearted fun.
Michael G

October 6, 2006
I'd be completely oblivious if I failed to mention how ridiculous this movie (I'm talking Ed Wood ridiculous) is but at the same time it's so much damn fun. At the same time if the whole series came out on DVD tomorrow I'd grab it in a heartbeat. West and Ward's delivery is nonsensically fun ("Support your police! That's our message!") and Lee Meriwether was smoking hot. Say what you want about this incarnation of Batman, but it beats the shit out of Schumacher's take...
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

March 20, 2008
This movie is moronic, random and full of nonsense. It ain't an action movie. It's a comedy.
Coxxie M

June 5, 2009
the rubber shark was the funniest thing ive ever seen that was supposed to make you go "whoa"
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 24, 2007
I can quote this movie verbatim. Love it!
Screeny
Screeny

October 13, 2008
#4 BATMAN movie ever
Cassandra M

July 23, 2008
OK, it might not be the greatest movie, but it is one of the awesomest movies ever. Only in 'Batman' could intelligent writers come up with some of the most illogical situations and cheesiest dialog committed to screen.

A Yacht disappears in Gotham Harbour ("How can a yacht simply disappear... unless, it was never really there!"). On board was a 'superdehydrator', a machine that can extract the moisture from any living being, and in of the most logical displays of logic ever, Batman and friends logically come to the (correct) conclusion that the culprits are the combined forces of Penguin, Joker, the Riddler and Catwoman, apparently intent on world domination.

'Batman is scene-after-scene of pure brilliance - great situations, and the greatest dialog ever. 'Batman' is very funny, but only if you appreciate and enjoy the style, otherwise you will hate it. But only those who lack a sense of awesomeness would not like it, and who is really so un-awesome, that they can't even find the captioned fights just that little bit amusing?

Awesome, simply awesome