Bats

Bats Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 20, 2012
Bats is a cliched, overdone genre film about deadly bats. The concept is old, tired and ultimately boring. The films plot is derivative of every other nature gone wild horror flick.Bats could have been something good, but it ultimately failed in delivering anything good to the screen. The film in originality, not providing us with interesting characters or story line. This film could have been good, instead it took liberties from other genre films, and it just became a big cliche riddled film. The payoff of the film is weak, and overall this is a lazy effort. The acting is sloppy, and is complemented by a very poor script. Bats is an example of a film that has had the misfortune of being in a genre of horror film that really is not interesting anymore. I mean, the nature gone wild genre has covered so much ground in the last three decades. Starting with Jaws, to Grizzlyu with Piranha, Alligator and Arachnophobia and culminating with Lake Placid. There has been other killer creature films since, but what separates this film from the newer films are that these films such as Rogue used cliched ideas in a refreshing way and had a good, well constructed script that used suspense and terror effectively well to tell its story However Bats doesn't do that. Bats uses cliches with a bad script, and it doesn't work. Stick with Jaws, Grizzly and the more recent Rogue. Bats just doesn't cut it, and it suffers from being a bad B movie that is more hilariously bad than scary. As a bad film, this one works, as a horror flick, it doesn't.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I wanted to see "Bats" as soon as I saw the previews over a year ago and I finally got to see it awhile ago. It wasn't anything like what I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be a good horror movie with great special effects. "Bats" turned out to be the worst horror movie I've seen in a long time.
A new breed of bat that was created by a man is terrorizing a small town in Texas. The bats kill everybody they see, so it's up to a wildlife zoologist (Dina Meyer) and a sheriff (Lou Diamond Phillips) to try and get rid of the bats before it's too late.

"Bats" might have had better success a few years ago, but with the great horror movies that have been made lately, "Bats" just can't stand up to them. Sometimes the camera in the movie just goes in circles to where you can't see anything. There's not much plot to the movie other than to get rid of the bats. Finally, "Bats" was made in 1999. It's pretty bad when a movie made in the late 90's doesn't even have good special effects. The only thing that I did like about the movie was that the bats looked pretty cool.

Some people might like "Bats," but for me, it just wasn't what I was expecting it to be. Therefore, unless you really really want to see it, I wouldn't recommend watching it. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Bigtime disappointment movie for me.
deano
deano

August 20, 2007
Amazing non-stop high-flying, action-packed scream ride, so frightfully good fun.
Cindy I

May 21, 2007
A cheesy horror flick that harkens back to the days of bad '60's sci-fi. Hard to believe they could make something this rotten in this day and age. A good film for groups of people to watch together... and make fun of. Too bad MST3K isn't still around. They'd have a field day with this.
boxman
boxman

February 23, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]It's almost reassuring to see a film like 'Bats' arrive at your multiplex. It means that in an industry fueled by big names and big effects that a cheesy B-movie can still make it through production like the legions that spooked so many naive baby boomers. But let's not get ahead of ourselves now. It is, after all, a B-movie.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'Bats' tries to be the winged mammal version of 'The Brids' except not nerely as good. The "story" is of a mad scientist who genetically creates a race of super bats. Why? Well maybe the real question you should ask yourself is - why not? Unfortunately the bats get released into a small sleepy town in Texas. The officials catch on, the populas refuses to believe, then... oh what the hell does it matter?! You'll be able to predict the rest faster than you can tie your shoelaces. Create a plot in your head to fill the void of this one. In my version of 'Bats' space aliens came down and there was an intergalactic civil war between bat-people and humanity's only source of hope in a band of four teenage girls each with amazing powers. This is what happens when you have to fend for yourself for entertainment.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]What should be the most interesting part of 'Bats' turns out to be the absolute lamest: the bats themselves. Were they created in some lab or did they just hibernate out of Fraggle Rock with a thirst for blood? They resemble small dogs with wings in all the amounts of quick-cut closeup shots to hide the fact that they didn't have the budget to film more than six bats at one time. I don't know if they're supposed to come off as frighteneing or not, but mass hysteria from muppets just doesn't seem too overwheliming to me.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]If 'Bats' were played for camp value it might be a moderately redeemable sense of dumb fun like 'Deep Blue Sea' was earlier this year. Instead the bat wranglers try playing it for scares and askewed laughs, but the scales sure don't come out even upon viewing. The flick really is laugh-out-loud bad like when one of the characters actually sells out humanity to help the bats, or the distraught and reckless teenagers getting their comupance for staying out after curfew like in so many other bad B-monster movies. This movie won't be appearing on anyone's resume list in the near future. I think even the Key Grips were ashamed to have had any hand in this. You can't help but feel 'Bats' missed it's window of oppurtunity for success around the time film went to color. The only screaming you'll be hearing anywhere in the viscinity of 'Bats' is from people just realizing they spent seven dollars on this thing.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: D[/color][/font]
Beefy
Beefy

December 5, 2005
Perhaps my favorite bad movie.
Steven V

March 27, 2007
Good movie. Action-packed scream ride, so frightfully good fun.
Sylvester K

June 26, 2013
Bats that suddenly started killing people in packs. That's pretty much all the film has to offer.
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

August 15, 2009
A great time for anyone that enjoys cheesy monster movies. It really feels like a movie that was meant to be made in the 50's or 60's, and to be enjoyed at the drive in. There's no way to take the material seriously. Genetically engineered bats escape from a government lab, infect other bats outside a small Texas town, and proceed to kill everyone in sight. Of course the government recruits one scientist who is "the best in the field" to find a solution to the problem. The movie is filled with bats that look as real as the shark in Jaws. Whether they are animatronic, or computer generated, they rarely look real. But when they swarm, it's a cool sight to see. Director Louis Morneau makes great use of the beautiful landscape, and the quaintness of a small town to give the movie a great atmosphere. The characters are all stereotypical, especially Leon's ultra hip, token black character. But the actors are solid, and keep you interested. Lou Diamond Phillips can't sell a Texas accent to save his life, but he's heroic enough as the sherriff. Dina Meyer...ah me, Dina Meyer. Not only is she one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood, she's also a solid actress, and makes her character tough, and is FAR more credible as a scientist than her Starship Troopers co-star Denise Richards was as a nuclear scientist in The World Is Not Enough. Did I also mention she's has one of the most perfect faces I've ever seen? The movie though, loses a great deal of steam in the third act. When the heroes enter the central nest of the bats at the end, it draws out way too long, and begins to become boring, with a finale that doesn't quite fit with the feel of the rest of the movie. But, if you like drive-in movies, cheesy monster flicks, or need nothing more than to stare at the beautiful Dina Meyer for 90 minutes (that would be me) then this movie is for you. In fact, I'm so taken with her beauty, that I'm going to give the movie an extra half star just for that.
Marcus W

June 20, 2008
Getting over the fact that bats are wonderful, gorgeous, unique and amazing - and therefore not scary in the slightest, we come to this clone of every "killer animal on the loose that if left will continue to breed and DESTROY THE WORLD movie" (or just the US in this case). Anyway, unlike Jaws it doesn't take itself seriously enough and unlike Eight-Legged Freaks it takes itself too seriously leaving it floundering in "too silly to be scary and too serious to be funny" territory. Chuck in a token black man for comic relief, Bob Gunton playing a bastard (I've never seen him do anything else) rubbishy rubber bats and there you have it.
juliantoepfer
October 3, 2011
Simple formula: Rubber bats + Lou Diamond Phillips = Win. Well, so you would think... One of those movies where you can't tell if its supposed to be funny or serious.

The bats are... horrible. I think they probably bought them at a Party City a few minutes before filming. So many plot holes and just cheap gimmicks to go along with horrible script and worse acting (although Dina Meyer is pretty damn hot).

Kind of a throwback to the 'nature attacks' genre of the 60's and 70's, but has none of the charm. Its in that weird area where its a B movie with high production value, and that makes it sub-par as it pertains to both serious film, and B movie film.
M9z8759483
February 7, 2010
bats is a great horror b-movie about of course killer infected bats that go around town and pretty much of course kil people bats also has great gore effects and great acting.
June 15, 2009
Dina Meyer...hmmm, oops sorry, I was just thinking out loud. This is a definite "B" movie...I feel bad for Lou, who now seems to be a permanent resident of B hell
zOMBie3184
August 10, 2008
This film is one of those cheesy small town under attack kind of films that you watch knowing it's not going to be that great but it works.
HorrorMovieCinema
July 26, 2008
When you name your movie "Bats" everyone has a general idea what the monster is, though they might not imagine something which looks like a winged Pug. You heard me, those ugly little dogs which appear to have run muzzle first into a wall, with wings. Oh, and they're mean, real mean.

Despite an interesting beginning the movie quickly degrades into frontal lobotomy territory, not the least of which is a patented military response. First off they're determined to eradicate the bats through bombs and antitank missiles, then an attempt to destroy the roost at night gets them all killed, since most recruits have at least high school diplomas these days I'd say our public education system is worthless. Not that it would matter, the creatures at hand are nigh invulnerable, only serious firepower can harm them. Bats (Even mutated ones.) are fairly light, this facilitates the miracle of flight, a female ballet dancer rolling over one would do some damage. Except to this variety, it just gets them mad.

By the way, Sheriff Kimsey is the best shot I've seen in my life, any guy who can score perfect shooting at flitting targets with a pistol is a God.

After losing half the town's population to an attack everyone is evacuated, except the civilian researchers who barricade themselves into the school. Why they stayed in town I have no idea, but it gave McCabe a chance to degenerate into mad scientist mode just prior to his death.

With an air strike scheduled to bomb the bat's cave (Huh?) it's up to Sheila and Kimsey, they must carry out the original plan: Turn on a huge refrigeration unit and freeze the creatures to death. Too bad for the bats, they're only highly intelligent when the script requires... ...such as destroying a member of the swarm when it has been captured and fitted with a tracking device, the idea to change caves after being discovered never dawns on them.
August 26, 2007
I first seen it scraed the living Jesus out of me very much horror and action Fast fluttering bats hits screens
August 9, 2007
Of course this movie was going to be a spin cycle of dumb, but the least they could have done was play effectively on everyone's fear of things with fangs flying in your face. Instead, the bat attack sequences are messy, loud, and inexplicably boring when they should be frightening (or at least comical).
gehenna
March 30, 2007
Held my personal record for world's worst movie until it was finally usurped by MANSQUITO. Do NOT watch this movie.
March 18, 2007
Good actinjg, bad movie. The story is straight outta a 40s B-Monster movie, and is really terrible. No surprises with who lives and dies here. It takes some turns that don't make any sense at all and are only there so somebody can die. Some very annoying camera shots that served no purpose, and really dumb characters. Who shoots at a swarm of bats with nothing but a pistol? Twice! Bad effects on top of all that should make anyone who sits through this movie batty.
February 19, 2007
Bats turned vicious killers by an experimental virus spread the disease and join forces to attack a small Texas town.
Unimpressive effects and dialog plague this unremarkable film.