Box Office Guru Wrapup: Battle: Los Angeles Fights To The Top

Rango and Red Riding Hood round out the top three.

This weekend Sony ruled the North American box office with its fourth number one opening of the year as the alien invasion thriller Battle: Los Angeles debuted on top attracting a sizable action crowd. The stylish fairy tale pic Red Riding Hood bowed in third grossing less than expected while the animated adventure Mars Needs Moms struggled to find families with a poor launch in fifth place. The overall marketplace continued to fall behind year-ago levels as the entire weekend box office for all films in release fell below the top ten from last year.

Male action fans, missing in action for so long, turned up for the military actioner Battle: Los Angeles which topped the charts with an estimated $36M marking the year's second biggest opening behind last weekend's $38.1M for Rango. The PG-13 alien attack flick averaged a strong $10,536 from 3,417 locations and performed much like Sony's 2009 hit District 9 which bowed to $37.4M. That film opened in the summer and earned much better reviews, but also carried an R rating and boasted no starpower. Battle received weak marks from critics but featured recognizable cast members like Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez, and singer-actor Ne-Yo.

The studio's marketing efforts worked wonders making the disaster film seem like an exciting action vehicle that could also play to sci-fi fans. Males made up 68% of the crowd according to studio research while 55% were over 25. With two cartoons and little red riding hood in the top five, this audience had little else to rally behind. Filmed in Louisiana and produced for $70M after tax rebates, the global destruction pic topped the box office in many overseas territories too. The film grossed an estimated $16.7M from 33 markets including top spot bows in Russia, Korea, the U.K., India, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Columbia. The worldwide opening weekend stood at $52.7M.

Johnny Depp's animated comedy Rango dropped from first place to the runner-up spot this weekend but held up well grossing an estimated $23.1M. Off just 40%, the PG-rated toon boosted its ten-day tally to an impressive $68.7M and is performing much like another March toon anchored by a big celebrity name -- 2005's Robots. That Robin Williams-led pic debuted this very weekend six years ago to $36M (close to Rango's $38.1M bow) and slipped 42% in its sophomore frame to $21M and a $66.1M gross in ten days on its way to a $128.2M final. Rango should make it past the $120M mark as well.

Young women didn't show up in the expected numbers for the period thriller Red Riding Hood which opened in third with an estimated $14.1M from 3,030 theaters. Averaging a mediocre $4,665, the PG-13 pic starring Amanda Seyfried in a stylish reworking of the classic fairy tale got butchered by film critics and also failed to satisfy opening day patrons as its CinemaScore grade was a disappointing B-. There was not much direct competition for young females so Warner Bros. had that demographic to itself. But having a slick look, a teen love triangle, a star that's popular with the target demo, and the Twilight director wasn't enough.

Matt Damon's latest offering The Adjustment Bureau dropped a moderate 46% in its second weekend taking in an estimated $11.5M. Universal has collected $38.5M in ten days and should find itself with roughly $65M by the end of the domestic run. Overseas activity has not been too spectacular with an estimated $8.9M collected this weekend from 31 territories for an international cume of $24M.

The 3D animated adventure comedy Mars Needs Moms from producer Robert Zemeckis was shunned by family audiences and debuted to only $6.8M, according to estimates. Averaging a sluggish $2,182 from 3,117 theaters, including a very aggressive 211 IMAX screens, the Disney release earned the best reviews of the frame's new wide releases but failed to spark any excitement with its intended audience. Plus with rival toons Rango and Gnomeo & Juliet in the top ten collecting $26M in combined ticket sales, Mars struggled to stand out as a must-see pic. Produced for a reported $150M, the PG-rated film is a pricey misfire for Zemeckis' ImageMovers which was recently shut down. Its previous film, A Christmas Carol starring Jim Carrey, grossed $325M worldwide but was also a very expensive project with a budget near the $200M mark making profitability on motion-capture CGI films difficult.

Two films tied for sixth place with $5.1M each, according to estimates. The Farrelly brothers comedy Hall Pass enjoyed another good hold slipping just 42% for a mild 17-day total of $34.9M. CBS Films saw a 48% drop for its teen romance Beastly which has banked $17M in ten days on its way to $26-28M overall.

Adam Sandler's Just Go With It followed with an estimated $4M, down 38%, raising the cume to $94M making it the second highest-grossing 2011 release after the $97.5M of The Green Hornet. Both are Sony titles. With its Oscar glow fading, The King's Speech fell 42% to an estimated $3.6M for The Weinstein Co. for a $129.1M total. The hit 3D toon Gnomeo & Juliet suffered the worst decline in the top ten thanks to another toon entering the marketplace and tumbled 51% to an estimated $3.5M. With $89M to date, the sleeper comedy ranks as the year's third highest grosser.

Focus enjoyed a scorching debut for its period drama Jane Eyre which platformed in New York and Los Angeles in a pair of theaters in each city ringing up an estimated $182,000 for a sensational $45,579 average. Headlined by Mia Wasikowska who had a banner year in 2010 playing the title character in the megahit Alice in Wonderland and starring in the Oscar-nominated The Kids Are All Right, the PG-13 film attracted solid reviews and expands to eight additional markets next weekend before going much wider on March 25. Also in limited release, the mob thriller Kill the Irishman had a strong start debuting to an estimated $156,000 from five locations for a sturdy $31,100 average for Anchor Bay.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $112.8M which was down 13% from last year when Alice in Wonderland stayed in the top spot with $62.7M; but up 34% from 2009 when Race to Witch Mountain debuted at number one with $24.4M.

Author: Gitesh Pandya, Box Office Guru!

Comments

King Crunk

King Crunk

Glad to see Red Riding bomb. Hope the same thing happens to all the other movies that are trying to ride the Twilight train.

Mar 13 - 08:09 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

$42 million budget for Red Riding Hood with a 14 million opening hardly constitutes a bomb. Disappointment maybe, but bomb? Hardly. Mars Needs Moms is what you can refer to as a bomb

Mar 13 - 10:54 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

No it bombed. Movies need to double their production budget usually given the costs of ditribution, promotion, advertising, etc.

Mar 13 - 11:32 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Saw it this weekend and honestly, it wasn't bad. Gary Oldman and Julie Christie and to a lesser extent Billy Burke and Virginia Madsen were everything you'd expect and similarities to Twilight were limited to what you'd expect considering they were directed by the same person. The "Love Triangle" that a lot of critics complained about was virtually non-existent and there was no question about her being in love knowingly with a supernatural creature which was the main crux of Twilight. They were treated as completely seperate issues. It's not a horror epic, but it was alright and downright good compared to everything else we've been offered so far this year with the exception of Rango.

Mar 14 - 04:53 AM

Not L.

Not Likely

You sir have just contributed to creation of garbage

If there's nothing good to see, don't go to see anything.. that is the rule

Mar 14 - 11:43 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sorry Mr. I am da rules **said in fake Judge Dredd voice **. I like this kind of movie and enjoyed this one. Since you obviously haven't seen it i'll continue to trust my opinion. Talk to you in 8 months when this comes on tv.

Mar 14 - 02:39 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

I'm somewhat glad that Battle LA did good. I've heard good things from friends and despite the bad reviews it looks interesting. Glad Red Riding Hood did horrible, though it deserved even less than it got. At least the crappy Twilight director won't be doing much else after the series, or so it seems. I'm not surprised Mars Needs Moms didn't do great, but I didn't expect it to absolutely bomb. 6.8M for a movie that cost 150M to produce is pathetic. This could very well be the beginning of the end for Robert Zemeckis, a shame if you ask me. I enjoyed The Polar Express.

Mar 13 - 08:22 PM

Cody Fairless-Lee

Cody Fairless-Lee

I agree! I was hoping that MARS NEEDS MOMS would at least reach #2! Heck, I asked Sony to either postpone their movie or convince Disney to postpone theirs....but nobody listens!

Mar 14 - 08:21 AM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

There's obviously a reason for that. Even though I did not see MARS NEEDS MOMS! this week (I saw Rango. Quite excellent.) and I could tell that very few had even a remote intrest in the film. Though I myself adored The Polar Express and I liked the animation style, it just wasn't clicking this time. My 2 simple reasons for why MNM! is epicly bombing.
1. The story looked dull, outrageous, and stupid from the trailers.
2. That is some of the most OFF-PUTTING character design I've ever seen. The ALIENS scared the s*** outta me. (At least if "Rango" had weird/ugly character designs, It looked unique and more "natural"/ pleasing to watch. MNM! makes me want to gauge my own eyes out after a 10 sec. preview.)

Mar 14 - 03:21 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

Battle LA was disappointing. The story was okay and I didn't mind the weak characters. What killed it for me was the shaky-cam. The freaking screen wouldn't stop moving for a second, and I almost left it. I toughed it out to the end, but I will never watch that movie again. At least not in a theater. I give it 1.5 stars out of 4. It would be higher if they just could have controlled that dang camera!

Mar 13 - 08:39 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I was planning on seeing it at a matinee or something until I saw some clips and absolutely hated how shakey the camera was and how choppy and incomprehensible the action was edited.

Mar 13 - 09:07 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Sounds like I avoided some serious motion sickness this weekend.

Mar 14 - 09:56 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

I saw Battle LA today. It had heart. But it was definitely weak.

Mar 14 - 04:46 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Mar 13 - 09:07 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Glad Battle: Los Angeles did well man. Really happy that Rango held well, I thought it was going to drop so much since it got a C+ from audiences man. Maybe now they won't let Catherine Hardwick direct any more movies, since Red Riding Hood disappointed. Wow, I didn't think Mars Needs Moms would bomb this bad. They should have gave it a better title and a lot better everything man. I hope Robert Zemeckis' Yellow Submarine remake does better. I like Zemeckis, mainly because I loved Forrest Gump, Cast Away. I also enjoyed A Christmas Story, didn't really like The Polar Express. Next week, Paul hits theaters man!

Mar 13 - 10:16 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You meant A Christmas Carol I believe. Bob Clark made a Christmas Story.

Mar 13 - 10:24 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

I'm not really sure why everyone's so excited about Paul. With a good cast, bad special effects, terrible name, and a terrible preview, I think it will bomb in the box office. That's just my opinion, tho. Also, what's up with the R-rating?

Mar 13 - 10:33 PM

The Watcher

Yeah, I'm not holding much hope for Paul, either. It looks pretty bad and it kills me that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are in it. At least it's not directed by Edgar Wright, that would have been a travesty.

Mar 13 - 11:13 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Yeah Paul looks dreadful, despite the Hot Fuzz team back together again. If you watch the trailer, the entire thing looks full of anal probe jokes. These two deserve better material than this, its gonna bomb.

Mar 14 - 08:56 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Not to mention. Seth Rogen has a very annoying voice.

Mar 15 - 02:19 AM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Oh, thanks for the correction. I enjoyed both movies.

Mar 13 - 10:41 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You meant A Christmas Carol I believe. Bob Clark made a Christmas Story.

Mar 13 - 10:24 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

Mar 13 - 10:33 PM

Mar 13 - 11:13 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Mar 14 - 08:56 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Not to mention. Seth Rogen has a very annoying voice.

Mar 15 - 02:19 AM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Oh, thanks for the correction. I enjoyed both movies.

Mar 13 - 10:41 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

Mar 13 - 10:33 PM

Mar 13 - 11:13 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Mar 14 - 08:56 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Not to mention. Seth Rogen has a very annoying voice.

Mar 15 - 02:19 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

Rango was amazing. The graphics are spectacular, wouldn't expect anything less from ILM. The humor was terrific, you appreciate it more the more you like Westerns. The story was a little uneven and could have been tighter, so it probably won't be a strong contender for an Oscar. But definitely the first great movie of the year.

Going to see Battle: LA with a friend for his birthday. I like ID4. I like Call of Duty. So hopefully I'll enjoy it on some level.

Mar 13 - 10:35 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Rango was great, but I'm a bit skeptical about Battle LA. Hope you don't end up hating it when you see it. I might.

Mar 13 - 10:57 PM

The Watcher

Good luck ART, I thought BLA was nothing like ID4 or CoD. More like a very, very poor Private Ryan imitation from the sweatshops of China.

Mar 13 - 11:11 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Oh, thanks for the correction. I enjoyed both movies.

Mar 13 - 10:41 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

I liked Battle: L.A. for turn-off-your-brain action and fun it did the trick, and I'm glad to see it do well. What struck me is this shaky-cam everyone was talking about didn't bother me, and it almost seemed to not be there, the movie was in focus, whih many said it wasn't. So I really didn't notice the shaky cam, which I usually don't anyway. I'm surprised 'Moms flopped so badly, while Rango held up incredibly well. Considering the low Cinegrade of C+ I thought it would tank this week, however glad to see it hold up well. Mars looked like a disaster from the get-go, I mean the title alone is enough of a warning thats it will most likely be terrible. Perhaps parents are getting smarter in which movies to choose

Mar 13 - 10:52 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Rango was a great movie, Battle LA doesn't seem like it's worth the 8 bucks to go and see, and Red Riding Hood was trash from the beginning. Well, at least this month was better than the last two. Right?

Mar 13 - 10:53 PM

The Watcher

Was it? Sure, Rango and Bureau were quite solid but it's sad when a month is considered successful because 2 of the 10 or so movies weren't shit. Summer can't come soon enough, although considering how awful Green Lantern, Captain America, Thor and Transformers look I don't think there's much to be excited about, anyway.

Mar 13 - 11:09 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

This whole year doesn't seem good at all. I'm just basing my decisions oh how many good movies are being released each month. I hope more good movies get made in the future. Here's hoping for Super 8, Cowboys and Aliens, an even that tin tin movie. If anyone can make my moviegoing experience better its Spielberg.

Mar 13 - 11:45 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

So you liked Indy 4 and AI did you?

Mar 14 - 06:30 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

I loved A.I. Indy 4 not so much. Do NOT dis Mr. Spielberg.

Mar 14 - 08:29 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yes, Senor Spielbergo's position is unassailable.

Mar 14 - 08:46 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

AI is a masterpiece. Indy 4... eh, not as bad as some believe.

Mar 14 - 09:59 AM

The Watcher

Indy 4 was a welcome trip through nostalgia, even if it doesn't hold a candle to the earlier movies (except Temple of Doom - I hate that one more than Skulls), it's still better than if we didn't get another Indy at all.

Mar 14 - 03:08 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Indi 4 was not a bad movie, but I will admit it isn't in the same sphere as the previous films. AI was actually really good. You have to admit Clint that it is hard not to like Spielberg, and I would be lying if I didn't say that Spielberg was one of the greatest film directors of all time (or at least I think so).

Mar 14 - 11:29 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Spielberg has definitely lost a step or two, A.I. and War of the Worlds were decent, but nothing I'd wanna watch multiple times. Indy 4 was really close to being horrible. As for Tin Tin, I hope the movie is better than its name. It sounds like something only a 5 year old might be interested in.

Mar 14 - 09:03 AM

DBrock

David E-Brock

Maybe you should check out the books then...it's just plain great adventure stories.(speilbergs forte!) I know the name is funny but he is French so what do you expect

Mar 14 - 11:26 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Since when do Cap, Thor and even Transformers look bad. The worst movie year ever crowd is getting annoying. Now you're claiming worst year in mid-march? Get real guys maybe you don't like a lot of movies because you go into the theater looking to pick them apart or expecting them to be bad.

Mar 14 - 02:46 PM

Ah...since the trailers?
LOL, if you don't think TF3 will suck you should get your head checked - even if we discard such pieces of shit as Bad Boys/2, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and Island, and just go off of TF/2, then we still come to the conclusion that TF3 will have no redeeming qualities. Cap, Thor, GL all look terrible because they really don't feel like the comics at all - the humor is low-brow and stupid and the action looks uninteresting, so there's your answer.
BTW, I never said worst year ever!, I said there's not much to be excited about, and there isn't.

Mar 14 - 03:13 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Transformers could, probably will be bad, but Transformers the initial was good and there's nothing wrong with the new trailer. Cap, also looks fantastic, as good as anyone but the most cynical could hope for. Thor is iffy, but not a blatant disaster. I'll give you GL. It doesn't look good IMO. To your last point if you love movies, there's ALWAYS SOMETHING to be excited about unless you're a total cynic. There are still approximately 200 releases still to come out this year. If you can't find SOMETHING to get excited about you're not trying very hard or maybe you just need to give upp films entirely.

Mar 14 - 04:48 PM

The Watcher

No no, I was referring to the big tentpole movies, I know there will be tens of smaller films that I will love to death which will come out this year, but it doesn't look too good for blockbusters. Just watched all the trailers again - OK, I'll consent that Cap looks decent, maybe, but as for all the others, I'm not so optimistic. BLA's trailer was awesome and the movie still sucked, so what does it say about the movie if even the trailer is shit?

Lets just hope they are some shitty trailers. Super 8 looks awesome, though.

Mar 14 - 05:08 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sorry, shouldn't have assumed. That I can see, I still have hope for Thor too if for nothing else because Kenneth Branaugh is directing. Also looking forward to Cowboys and Aliens because Ford has been showing signs of shaking off the funk he's been in since Air Force One and Harry Potter finale has the potential to be epic. I hated Gambons Dumbledore, he's gone for the most part. Early episodes were held back by the kids performances. They've grown in the roles. Tons of action, and the potential to finally pay off all Alan Rickman's good work.

Mar 14 - 06:04 PM

The Watcher

Oh yeah, Cowboys slipped my mind, I'm holding hope for that one, too, mainly cos I like the comic and Jon proved that he can handle action with Iron Man, the sequel wasn't good but I blame the studio for forcing too many characters into it - that's the reason Favreau declined to return for part 3, too much studio interference.

Mar 14 - 07:49 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Mar 13 - 10:54 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

Mar 13 - 11:32 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Mar 13 - 10:57 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Also got to see Cedar Rapids this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised by that film. I found it absolutely hilarious, great film, and wayyyy better than its terrible trailer suggested it would be

Mar 13 - 10:59 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Man, I can't believe Cedar Rapids didn't get a wide release. Even here on Rottentomatoes where we're all a bunch of movie geeks, nobody has talked much about it. It's a shame since it was hilarious. John C. Reilly can do no wrong in my book. Most slept on movie of the year so far.

Mar 13 - 11:05 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

John C. Reilly is definitely an acquired taste, personally I don't find him funny for the most part.

Mar 14 - 09:06 AM

DBrock

David E-Brock

His dramatic work is much more impressive. Check out any movie by the magnolia guy(blanking on his name)... Magnolia,Boogie Nights, and especially Hard Eight, which also features a rarity in gwenyth Paltrow also acting extremely well.

Mar 14 - 11:32 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

The aliens in Battle: Los Angeles reminded me of McDonald's Mayor McCheese.

Mar 13 - 11:00 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

lol.

Mar 14 - 10:00 AM

The Watcher

Super glad that Mars bombed and Red fell well below expectations. Maybe this will signal the end of the Twilight/Stop Motion phases, respectively, as both are horrible, the former with those dead eyes and awkward movements and the latter with the horrible everything.

I think BLA will tumble next week, at least I hope it will because the movie sucks ass. I saw it for free and still was disappointed - I nearly fell asleep while watching it, literally. I must say that the "shaky-cam" didn't bother me, though, but then it never has - I actually like it, or, at least, I don't view it as a negative aspect.

Mar 13 - 11:04 PM

Sean Y.

Sean Y.

Stop motion? Are you perhaps referring to motion capture?

Mar 13 - 11:58 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

I do believe you mean motion capture not stop-motion. The last stop-motion film was The Fantastic Mr. Fox, a film which I LOVED. And I really couldn't believe it when they said Mars was motion capture, the trailer alone showed how poor the animation is on that basis

Mar 14 - 12:11 AM

The Watcher

Haha, yes I do mean Motion Capture - funny thing is I was specifically telling myself to write "Motion Cap" and not "Stop Motion", but I guess my neural processors went haywire, so to speak.

I love Stop Motion films, a-la Mr. Fox, Corpse Bride, Panic!, Nightmare B4 Christmas etc... Sorry for the brain-freeze.

Mar 14 - 12:20 AM

Goatmeal

Goatmeal Go

Well with due respect to motion capture, the upcoming TinTin movie seems to have some promise.

Mar 15 - 12:27 PM

Mar 13 - 11:09 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Mar 13 - 11:45 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

So you liked Indy 4 and AI did you?

Mar 14 - 06:30 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

I loved A.I. Indy 4 not so much. Do NOT dis Mr. Spielberg.

Mar 14 - 08:29 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yes, Senor Spielbergo's position is unassailable.

Mar 14 - 08:46 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

AI is a masterpiece. Indy 4... eh, not as bad as some believe.

Mar 14 - 09:59 AM

Ah...since the trailers?

Mar 14 - 03:13 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Mar 14 - 04:48 PM

The Watcher

Lets just hope they are some shitty trailers. Super 8 looks awesome, though.

Mar 14 - 05:08 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Mar 14 - 06:04 PM

Mar 14 - 07:49 PM

Mar 13 - 11:11 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday