—— Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Battle Beyond the Stars Reviews

Phil H

August 13, 2012
Hot on the heels of a small sci-fi production called 'Star Wars' came this remake of 'The Magnificent Seven' and 'Seven Samurai'. If you haven't guessed the difference was the story has now been set in space.

A Roger Corman production so you might think it would be space trash, but at the time this was quite a big release as sci-fi was popular again. The people involved with this film is actually quite impressive, for one James Cameron was in charge of the effects (mainly models) so this explains why they look so detailed, imaginative and quite good.

The cast for the film is also impressive for the time, looking back they are all your typical B-movie players really. Classic character actor Richard Thomas is the young hero, the legend Robert Vaughn plays a space merc, John Saxon is the evil space villain and George Peppard is the 'Space Cowboy'. Yep he has no name other than that, cos he's coooool. All are legends in their own right (accept Thomas maybe) but you can't deny all have popped up in some glorious B-movie fluff in their time, film and TV.

The film on the whole is a brave effort and bold with certain ideas. The start of the film seems quite sensible with its 'Star Trek' like score playing accompanying slow camera pans of various spaceships...all very 'Star Trek-ish'. The costumes aren't too bad either, this isn't a 'Flash Gordon' type affair, well not too much. Of course you can see many similarities to other films in both costumes and various ideas but that is pretty inevitable seeing as 'Star Wars' came out in 78.

As the film progresses it does become a tad dull really, the whole time is spent with the hero looking for mercs to save his home planet. This is where the film tends to rollercoaster as some people he meets are pretty good in design, others are not. Take Peppard as the Space Cowboy, his ship's interior looks good, its well designed and has a nice 'Millennium Falcon' feel about it, the character himself is cliched but Peppard makes the role work nicely.

Some ships looks good while others look terrible, laser effects are poor and not helped by the quite ridiculous sound effects used. The names used for some of these alien races, planets etc...tend to be rather daft too. Sets vary from scene to scene with the odd one looking nice but most looking rather plastic with merely lots of flashing lights everywhere.

Speaking of the 'Millennium Falcon', Robert Vaughn's character is a complete 'Han Solo' rip off in my opinion, right down to his boots. Other characters like the 'Nestor' and 'Valkyrie warriors' are just your typical B-movie crap frankly. They look like they were designed in the 50's, bad makeup, tacky fake plastic looking costumes and completely childish, real cheap sci-fi. From time to time there are some nice ideas though, the character of 'Cayman' is a nice addition with a reasonable looking reptilian mask.

Oh I forgot...the 'Valkyrie warriors' are stunning women with tight outfits that easily reveal their enormous breasts. Just like it would be in space, what? are you saying there aren't alien races like that?.

The film does get sillier and sillier as it goes on, the ham builds with performances and effects. I loved the evil laughter sequences by Saxon and his mutant henchmen...classic stuff. A little bit of evil dialog then pause for some evil laughter with your henchmen. The makeup design for 'Sador' actually looks a bit like Ed Wood's 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' with the single face mark, the mark of the baddie.

The film kicks into gear towards the end as we see the final battle between 'Sador' and good guys. Lots of laser gun fights, dodgy space battles with the same model sequences being reused over and over and some great cheesy acting from all.

Its clear to see many influences in this film from classic sci-fi such as 'Star Trek', 'Lost in Space', 'Westworld', 'Forbidden Planet', 'Star Wars' and many films from the 70's. But you have to hand it to Corman and director Murakami as they too have influenced many sci-fi films with this. The whole concept of a 'space cowboy' may well have originated here, if you overlook 'Han Solo'.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 26, 2012
I went into Battle Beyond the Stars hoping to discover some unseen craptastic sci-fi epic in the vein of Starcrash or The Last Starfighter (the latter actually being a pretty well-made film). What I got instead was a pretty boring cheesefest. This isn't to say that the movie is totally free of any entertainment value, but being under the assumption that it was a fun crap movie, I was disappointed. There were only two things that I knew about the movie going into it. I knew that it was a Roger Corman production and I knew that the Skotak brothers as well as James Cameron worked on the special effects, and that's about it. Really that's about all there is to say about it. Well, there's also John Saxon, and Sybil Danning, so I guess that might warrant another star. It's not a great movie, and not even in an enjoyable way. Not even because the main ship looks like a pair of breasts. It doesn't matter, it's just very bland and boring. See it for the design work, John Saxon's over-the-top performance and Sybil Danning's body. That's it.
Luke B

July 8, 2010
Seven Samurai is my favorite film of all time. It's perfection. The Magnificent Seven is also a fantastic movie. In 1980, Roger Corman brought us this slice of budget sci-fi. Taking the classic story and reworking it to slide nicely into the Star Wars excitement, Battle Beyond the Stars is a mishmash tapestry of cheapness, but some genuinely great bits. The recruitment scenes go on far too long, with Thomas having to travel through space, rather than just one city. The warriors themselves are boiled down to pretty darn simple emotions/motives. Obviously, Seven Samurai had the benefit of a 220 Minute running time, but they could have tried a bit harder. Thomas is a great hero, the simple, gentle man thrown into a world of war. His progression is well charted and works a treat. Some of the practical effects are nice, and some are even too cheap for my taste. A space setting is a great way to update the classic tale, but unfortunately this film wrote checks that it was unable to cash.
Anthony L

September 21, 2009
Battle Beyond the Stars, you could say, is the final part in the Seven trilogy. Based on the Seven Samurai, which was later remade into The magnificent Seven, it seems fitting to bring the story into the future somewhat. It's not nearly as good as the two previous films but it's certainly spectacular. The seven are basically a bizarre and brilliant mix of aliens battling against one big nasty alien. Brilliant! Sure, it's a little dated but I?m extremely fond of it. It's a Roger Corman classic for fuck sake! I'd watch this over Star Wars any day (and as a child, I did!)
thefog1331
thefog1331

January 24, 2008
The ship has boobs, what more do ya want from a Roger Corman production?
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
An oatmeal-flavored science fiction epic with Richard Thomas (John-Boy Walton) gathering allies from all over the galaxy to defend his planet from a sick-twisted dark lord. It's an innocent story which has a nice selection of aliens and characters. Highlights are Robert Vaughn's space criminal, George Peppard's space cowboy, the white aliens who are mentally connected, the Valkerie-like warrior woman and her pet, the Android-maker and his daughter, plus some little guys. It's a whole lot of cheesy fun, and not too cheaply made in the wake of Star-Wars-imitators. Fun to watch with pals.
garyX
garyX

May 9, 2007
Cheap and cheerful remake of The Magnificent Seven (Robert Vaughn even reprises his role) in space. Cheesy effects and straight to video stars, but it's amusingly kitsch. And the valkyrie certainly made an impression on this particular pubescent boy...
Anthony V

June 30, 2008
Sci-fi Seven Samurai is fun.
March 22, 2008
Not sure if my favorite part of the movie is the spaceship with breasts or the space cowboy rocking a rebel flag on his spaceship.
Pure 80's cheeeeez
September 4, 2012
One of the more famous Star Wars rip-offs that I've always heard of but had never gotten around to seeing, so I'm happy to finally cross off the To-Watch Pile.

The special effects are charming for a low budget affair, and this one is worth a look if you know what you're getting into.

Rental?
February 26, 2012
I recall seeing this as a kid in the theaters when it was released. After watching it again, I have to say this is one really horrible film. The plot/story is a rip off another story. That acting is awful. The characters have no personality. the language is crude, the special effects are sooooo bad. It is one of the many tacky cliche sci fi films that popped up like weeds in the 80's . This also reminded me of Space Pirates another awful flick.
saltersheppard
February 29, 2008
If it were one star it might have been so bad it was good. It's not. Darlene Fluegel is fun to watch. Very pretty. This is just a bad, non funny movie. Don't bother.
captainmorgan4
July 10, 2007
This has to be one of the worse movies I've ever seen. Richard Thomas (I guess trying to shed his John-boy Walton image) is hilariously miscast as a space hero. George Peppard is really bad as a country & western space rogue. Only Robert Vaughn and John Saxon gave good performances, but the rest of the movie was a cesspool of bad writing, bad acting, bad effects and bad everything else.
May 4, 2007
A classic science fiction B-movie. I remember seeing this back when it came out in 1980, a movie that has interesting plot and story. Richard Thomas, George Peppard, Darlanne Fluegel, and B-movie queen Sybil Danning are awesome in this cult classic.
May 13, 2014
Pure schlock, but I guess it's entertaining enough.
April 12, 2014
It's fairly apparent a Star Wars knock-off, but the creativity, ambitious cast and cheap production value are all entertaining.
March 23, 2014
An imaginatively fun cast of intergalactic species team up to save one planet's people from genocide at the hands of a war-mongering spacelord in this Roger Corman classic. Sci-fi fans will love the Star Wars/Trek archetypes that have been assembled but, must concede the story boldly goes nowhere.
June 21, 2013
Such an awesome Star Wars clone. It's cheese but t's good cheese.
May 29, 2013
a Roger Corman classic
February 25, 2013
A cute campy sci-fi although effects are now outdated.