Battle of the Year (2013)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: With a hopelessly hokey plot and unintentionally hilarious dialogue, Battle of the Year is flimsy even by the standards of the dance movie genre.

Movie Info

Battle of the Year is an international dance crew tournament that attracts all the best teams from around the world, but the Americans haven't won in fifteen years. Los Angeles Hip Hop mogul Dante (Alonso) wants to put the country that started the Sport back on top. He enlists his hard-luck friend Blake (Holloway), who was a championship basketball coach, to coach his team. Armed with the theory that the right coach can make any team champions, they assemble a Dream Team of all the best dancers … More

Rating: PG-13 (for language and some rude behavior)
Genre: Drama, Musical & Performing Arts, Special Interest
Runtime:
Sony Pictures - Official Site

News & Interviews for Battle of the Year

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for Battle of the Year

All Critics (49) | Top Critics (20)

its dramatization of a U.S. dream team's journey to the international showcase is leaden with predictable character types and storytelling clichés, neither of which its well-executed but oddly infrequent dance sequences are able to overcome.

Full Review… | September 23, 2013
TheWrap
Top Critic

The actual dancing scenes are occasionally electrifying, if far too sparse, but other than that and the welcome sight of co-star Chris Brown getting clocked in the face, the film barely gets off the ground, much less sticks the landing.

Entertainment Weekly
Top Critic

A dead-in-the-soul cash grab of a movie set in the competitive world of B-boy dancing that thinks clichés, phony melodrama and product placement can substitute for real storytelling and actual characters.

MSN Movies
Top Critic

Battle of the Year clearly features lots of brilliant dancers, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching them move. But you wish there were more dancing here.

New York Magazine/Vulture
Top Critic

Despite the reasonable dancing scenes and passable acting by singer Chris Brown, Battle Of The Year is a string of clichés, stock characters and unbearable melodrama.

Full Review… | January 28, 2015
FILMINK (Australia)

Even when a dance movie is following the formula as closely as Battle of the Year does, occasionally something you won't get to see anywhere else slips through.

Full Review… | February 14, 2014
The Vine

Audience Reviews for Battle of the Year

½

If you'd have told me I'd spend a Friday night watching a poorly-made breakdancing/hip hop/whatever movie, never in my life would I have believed it. Until about 8-11 years ago. I'll never get these two hours of my life back.

If you like the dance movies, you will like this one. It's okay, not really the same drama that goes on in the dance movies normally, but it was still okay.

½

The people who went to see this movie probably went to see it for Chris Brown. I, however, went to see it for Josh Holloway. Yes, it's true. I went to see a movie because I liked the actor. Call me a hypocrite, but to be perfectly honest, he is probably the only reason the movie turned out okay in my opinion. It started out good. I was interested in seeing how the team came together to compete. I loved the positive outlook the movie had. It was kind of sweet! I wish more movies had such kindness. That is one thing this movie has that I really appreciate and love. However, I felt like the movie dragged. I was sitting in the theater thinking, "is it over yet?" The ending was predictable. It had some parts that were so laughable but not in a good way. I felt like the woman who played the dance instructor was not necessary in this film. In the beginning, you might like what you see. I did. But once you get a little more into it, you might fall asleep. All in all, it was an okay movie.

elas914
Lisa SaurusRex

Battle of the Year Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Battle of the Year on our Movie forum!