• PG-13, 1 hr. 41 min.

Be Kind Rewind Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 26, 2014
Now, I'll be honest, I find Jack Black to be a so-so actor. At time she can be pretty funny, other times he can be annoying. With Be Kind Rewind, he is very enjoyable, and gives one of his better performances. This is a very good film that is highly entertaining from start to finish, and in many ways, this is a tribute to the love of cinema. The film boasts a fun storyline, and this film is a lot of fun and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. With a good blend of comedy and feel good charm, this is a must see that boasts several film references. In terms of sheer originality, Be Kind Rewind is a standout feature that will satisfy any film lover. Jack Black is very good here, and the chemistry between him and Mos Def is terrific. The rest of the cast are great too, and each actor being something to really make this a must see comedy. I loved this film, and the script was well thought out, original and above all refreshing. There is plenty to enjoy here, and director Michel Gondry has made a film that is well worth your time. This film has plenty of heart, and memorable scenes to really make it a unique film experience. The film has a few weak moments, but overall, there are plenty of strengths here that overshadows the few weak aspects. Be Kind Rewind is a good comedy with plenty of good performances, a great story, and plenty of humor to make it a film that can exceed your expectations. I was surprised with this film, and I think I would enjoy it as much as I did, but I walked away from it, not only enjoying it, but feeling that this among Jack Black's best performances.
Eugene B

July 27, 2013
Jack Black and Mos Def make a good comedy and entertainment duo in Michael Gondry's heartwarming film, Be Kind Rewind. The film is clever and though has its hiccups, can't be overlooked, especially from the amount of charm and originality it provides. 4/5
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 7, 2012
This is Michel Gondry's delightful ode to handmade DIY craftsmanship at it's finest. The story concerns a bumbling goofball named Jerry who, after becoming magnetized in an unlikely way accidentally erases all the VHS tapes at a declining video store where his friend Mike works. To fix the situation, the two decide to make remakes of all the movies, using themselves and makeshift special effects in a fashion they call "Sweding".

Surprisingly, their no-budget remakes become a hit and actually start to help bring the store out of decline. There are some other issues being dealt with in the film though, and that's both positive and negative. This film tries to do a lot of things, perhaps too many. Not only is it about Sweding, but it also tackles the economic decline of Passaic, New Jersey, and its multicultural population. It also deals with an original film about Fats Waller that Mike and Jerry and the neighborhood residents are forced to make due to legal issues.

You can't fault Gondry for trying to be ambitious, but I think the film is a little overstuffed and a bit undercooked in places as a result. The remake scenes actually aren't really the focus, despite what the marketing campaign would have you believe. Those sequences are some of the best in the film though, especially the single take montage wherein a half dozen films get Sweded.

The film does have his usual, whimsical, quirky touches, and you can really tell this is a film that was designed to strike a chord with anyone who ever tried to make a film regardless of talent, money, or various other factors. This is all about making do with what you have, and that's really why this film works so well. It's just too damn charming not to enjoy.

Jack Black gets manic, but his performance here is closer to High Fidelity than his usual shtick. Def, despite being somewhat unintelligible at times, is also pretty good, and I really like seeing him work as an actor, even though his music career is his real strength. Danny Glover and Mia Farrow give some really fun supporting roles, as does Melonie Diaz. Of course, a little Sigourney Weaver cameo doesn't hurt either.

All in all, a good, but choppy little piece of work. Despite its shortcomings, I really do dig this, and definitely give it a solid recommendation.
Phil H

February 24, 2008
Strange film this, most probably will become a cult. The plot is straight forward but kinda odd and really daft, not much talent on offer with the cast apart from Black, Def is one of the worst actors around and virtually unable to understand when talking.
The whole thing is disappointing and not as funny as I thought it would be. Its a case of the trailer being much better than the actual film haha the best parts are in my opinion, the remake of 'Ghostbusters' and that's it, after that its just not really funny, kinda stupid, the ending is also very flat, misfire for Black methinks.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

December 31, 2011
Silly, but pretty cute!
Matt G

January 22, 2011
Harmless comedy that has it's moments!
Drake T

June 13, 2011
The film focuses too much on the idea of preserving an obsolete art-form that has an "acquired taste" when instead it should have concentrated more so on the relationship between the characters making the films, bonding and uniting the community.

Conceptually the idea is sound, but the momentum of the film's message lost it's spark after the first half of the film. What followed was a dreary, contrive attempt at emotional impact.
Jens S

February 18, 2008
Not exactly your typical Jack Black comedy, and it's showing in the reactions and the expectations people had with this film. However, it is your typical Michel Gondry film, with unbelievably smart and fun imageries and camera tricks plus a very special sense of humor. The highlights of the film are of course the low budget film versions Black and the excellent Mos Def are shooting once every VHS tape in their rental store is destroyed. Sometimes you wished that the whole film consisted of those, especially when you wonder how the jazz legend flashbacks fit into the story. But in the end it all fits so perfectly and has so much more to offer. After all, the film is a love declaration to cinema and offers such a heart-warming and pleasing solution that you wished Jack Black would only shoot films like this from now on. Lovely and quirky! As if the Royal Tennenbaums decided to shoot their own film.
michael e.
michael e.

June 6, 2011
very funny. The film starts out kind of slow and boring, but when they start sweding the films it gets really funny and entertaining. Plus the choice of music for the film was great and very well picked. And the ending is very touching and as said the music is great and they use the piano (My favorite instrument) for the scene
KJ P

September 11, 2010
Be Kind Rewind shows the spirit of doing things for the hell of it. If you do something wrong, there usually is a way out of it, but it's normally logical. In this case, it's very dumb, but it works so well! I love Be Kind Rewind, the characters are enjoyable, the story is interestingly hilarious, and the movie overall is great. It was a little dull at moments, but other than that fact, it was very, very good!
Dean !

May 13, 2008
An ok comedy film. The funniest parts are the re-makes of the films scenes. Especially Ghostbusters, and I like the home made Robocop suit. Overall not quite as funny as I had hoped for. Good idea though and great cast!
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 31, 2008
A guy is looking after a video store when the tapes are returned because they are blank. He and his friend set out to recreate the movies as they figure the people don't know the movie storylines. They make eg ghostbusters and rush hour 2, lion king and robocop on a budget. Funny movie.
Richard C

June 24, 2010
it's good but not great. B-
Conner R

December 21, 2009
I really never appreciated this the first time I saw it, but ever since then I've been able to love it and admire it a lot more. The basic plot alone is worth it: two idiots trying to remake movies with a vhs camcorder in the span of 40min. Then there's the overlaying theme of history and preservation of art that really sink in to the very contemporary issue of outdated technology and how it is being destroyed and unrecognized. I love the characters, Jack Black working at a microwave power plant and wearing a metal hat is just too original and priceless to see executed. I think anyone who's ever tried to make a movie should watch this, just to see the trouble you've probably gone through.
Lafe F

October 18, 2009
The story is really about a tribute to legendary musician Fats Waller than about a couple of video store dudes re-making low-budget versions of famous movies (which only comprises about 20 minutes of the film).
Stuart B

October 8, 2009
Its ok but not great. Get back on track Jack Black
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
Good film but I was a little disappointed as I'd hoped for a little more. This movie is really 3 films in one, it?s also got a very clichéd underline story that we've all seen before. The remakes are the best bits. It?s a film about doing remakes that feels like a remake with a biography thrown in. It?s confusing and a little schmaltzy in places but Gondry's signature visuals are present and impressive and Glover and Def are good. Black is Black but not too annoying. All in all I liked it!
Lewis C

March 11, 2008
I had sky-high hopes for Be Kind Rewind after seeing its trailer. It looked just like the kind of quirky, offbeat kind of movie that can be a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately, the actual film didn't live up to the previews.

The movie was quirky, but it was so forced that it was difficult to enjoy. The characters weren't particularly memorable or endearing, and some of them were so unbelievable that it just hurt the overall atmosphere. And it's definitely a bit on the slow side. Once Mos Def and Jack Black finally start making the movies, things pick up a little...but that's not enough to redeem this mild disappointment. I don't really care if I ever see this again.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 27, 2008
i was really disappointed in this movie the storyline was crap and the laughs were few and far betweeen i probably wouldnt waste my time watching this movie!! such a let down