Beatles Anthology Reviews

Cameron W. Johnson
July 1, 2013
It is the single most thoroughly exhaustive, deeply intimate and all around informative documentarian study upon the Beatles ever... for 1995, back when George Harrison was still alive, and Ringo Starr's career with it. Hey, the Beatles themselves said that "tomorrow never knows", so the people behind this series should have been prepared for this story's expanding over the years, but hey, "ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, brah", and I'm kind of glad that this series showed up when it did, because it's long enough without having an extra couple of years to pick up material, and plus, the people behind this "Beatles Anthology" project had to go ahead and release this series, a three-volume album featuring rarity recordings by the Beatles, and one enormous book so that they could go ahead and collect their money while there was still enough of a resemblance of taste in the music industry for people to remember the Beatles. No, people, the Beatles shall never be forgotten, or at least not by me after seeing this documentary series, because if I'm going to spend about eleven hours or so on something, I and massive cluster of people who don't even know me better remember it. Jeez, I've heard of "Long, Long, Long", "Strawberry Fields Forever" and, of course, "It's All Too Much", but "hey, bulldog", it will take more than "a day in the life" and "a hard day's night" to experience this "long and winding road", or rather, "magical mystery tour" through "every little thing" behind "the continuing story of" "day trippers" who are more than "nowhere men", and "come together" while they're not yet "sixty-four" to "help" "give you your money's" worth, and let me tell you, "dizzy Miss Lizzy", I can "dig it" as surely as I can "dig a pony", "because" (Oh, that stretched more than a "rubber soul") they "work it out" in "the end"... "goo-goo-g'joob!" I sense that you have "no reply" to that, but "hey, Jude", after over ten hours of Beatles music, you'd be probably also be cracking some puns. Yeah, I know the Beatles were big, but I reckon that this series kind of "carries that weight"-I mean, gets carried away, though I'll run with it, because this is still some mighty good television. Still, while this series is quite a long time fairly well-spent, it would have been stronger were it not for its problems, of which there are, well, only so many.

I'm certainly not asking that this series be exceptionally unique as a stylish documentary or whatever, but little in the way of unique stylistic flavor is infused into the presentation of this series' formulaic interview-footage storytelling, and such a lack of flare throughout this sprawling saga, while not too detrimental to momentum, leaves things to feel repetitious before too long, while keeping certain aspects of the final product from standing out as refreshing. ...Yeah, I should probably go ahead and tell you that most of what flaws I will be discussing in this paragraph are really reached for in order to round out this section of the review and reinforce my opinion of the final product, but make no mistake, issues still stand, whether they be as mild as the aforementioned lack of style that leaves things to feel repetitious and somewhat formulaic, or as relatively considerable as the conventional formula's simply being kind of overblown. Whether you see it in the abridged, six-part form it debuted in, or in the eight-part, eleven-and-a-half-hour form that contemporary audiences most recognize, this documentary is just too blasted long, taking a long time to flesh out the story of the Beatles about as much as it possibly can, and sure, on the whole, the lengthiness feels reasonably organic, but it ends up hurting a sense of progression to the narrative of this documentary, which aimlessly wanders along, meditating upon whatever it can to run out the clock, with only so much attention to rises and falls in storytelling. The aimlessness that results from the lengthiness is, like the lack of flavorful style, a relatively quite light issue, but to some extent or another, it exacerbates the repetition, and that would be more forgivable if there weren't certain areas in the wandering storytelling that feel genuinely forced, for although most every piece of information delivered in this immense study on the eventful of some of the biggest icons in the history of the entertainment industry is intriguing, there is, of course, plenty of fat around the edges in the form of excess material and filler that pads things out and often run together to further reinforce some sense of repetition and aimlessness. Like I said earlier, I was expecting to really reach out there to find notable issues, and sure enough, there's not a whole lot that is necessarily wrong with this generally organically structured and thoroughly entertaining, if overblown and stylistically limited documentary series, but there are some problems, particularly in pacing, and they leave you to further meditate upon the final product's absolute biggest, mac-daddy, overpowering shortcomings: natural ones. Yeah, there's just not all that much to this documentary, and that's fine and all, because the consequential shortcomings are hardly great enough to prevent the final product from being the genuinely rewarding, yet I can easily see those who sat down to the first couple of episodes when it debuted not really having all that much trouble if they happened to fall out the series after a while, because you can draw only so much compellingness out of subject matter of this type. That being said, in spite of the fair deal of natural shortcomings and generally relatively moderate, but no less present consequential shortcomings, you'd be pressed to not be thoroughly intrigued by this sprawling documentary series, which rewards as both an insightful study on life and times of the Beatles, and a showcase of what made the Beatles the legendary musical juggernauts they are.

Seeing as we are dealing with an exhaustive meditation upon music legends, there are only so many moments in which this series is without the Beatles' classic tunes, and while most every one of those tunes was a hit, they themselves did not always hit, or at least not for me, for although I have great respect for the Beatles, - especially during their golden post-Beatlemania years - a lot of their songs - particularly the ones of the Beatlemania era - run together, and plenty of them aren't even all that great, so it's not like this series' soundtrack is ceaselessly killer, yet as far as entertainment value is concerned, this series' soundtrack keeps consistent, and whether you're being presented the occasional musical piece that influenced or was influenced by the Beatles, or presented a legendary piece by the Beatles themselves, there are plenty of enjoyable, if not strong tunes to liven up entertainment value and color up insight into this subject matter on a musical level whose effectiveness goes matched, if not topped only by the more visual aspects of this documentary. With all of my talk of repetition, and how it is often intensified by archived filler footage's running together, the actually great deal of dynamicity to this effort would be nothing without the immense wealth of archived footage, whose careful placement into the context of the documentary supplements what sense of progression there is to the story being told in this often aimless documentary, and whose simply being so in-depth, dynamic for the most part, and all around colorful provides both compliments to a sense of intimacy within this human study, and a sense of range that helps in gracing this epic-length saga with something of a sense of sweep. The series all but carries the pretense of being a so-called "epic documentary", and I must admit, in spite of the pacing issues and natural shortcomings, this series lives up to its promise more often than not with a richly hefty collection of classic visual material to join the collection of classic musical material in gracing the final product with a certain range that establishes a certain sense of scope that slowly, but surely, grows greater and greater as the series progresses, immersing you more and more into the weight of the subject matter that is made immersive enough by the Beatles' telling their story, not just in the archived footage, but within contemporary material. I'd be lying if I said that it's not offputting not seeing new footage of the tragically late, considerably great John Lennon, whose untimely death obviously left him incapable of contributing to this series in a way that would have given you more of a connection with his depths, yet as things stand, the then-surviving components to the legendary Beatles - from the band's associates to the band members themselves - give you enough of a sense of intimacy with everything to stand as great components to the compellingness of the final product, with the band members, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the now-late, also great George Harrison, being especially captivating, delivering on delightful charisma and heart that both charms thoroughly and immerses you into their lives and relationships with each other. It's a deeply enjoyable experience seeing bona fide legends bring themselves down to earth and tell their story with a humble genuineness that only those who led the classic tales being told can provide, and while the effectiveness within the interviews of those who lived to see the creation of this documentary really reflects just how much is being missed out on because of Lennon's tragic demise, the leaders of this interview-driven documentary add a great deal to the final product's compellingness. The presentation of this series' very important subject matter isn't especially upstanding, but it's strong on plenty of occasions, and rarely, if ever less that rewarding, and that's pretty impressive when you consider the many opportunities this sprawling saga has to mess up, though it's not too surprising, because the subject matter itself is nothing if not compelling, because even though the final product leaves a bit too much fat around certain edges, whether it be mere colorful filler or an important piece of information, most every piece of material pertaining to the Beatles covered in this epic-length saga is fascinating, and that's about all you can ask for out of a documentary. Okay, perhaps this effort could have had more flavor to it, because if the natural shortcomings were more obscured by strong tweaks in the subject matter's presentation, I at least would find myself facing a very strong documentary and a somehow even more forcibly padded out paragraph preceding this one, yet as the final product stands, it's an essential for big Beatles fans, and a rewardingly fascinating and entertaining documentary on a general level.

In the end, the love that you take is equal to the love you make... whatever that means, and this effort ends up too dragged down by repetition - supplemented by a lack of an especially unique storytelling style, and possession of an overwhelmingly immense, perhaps even gratuitous runtime that often gets to be excessive and detrimental to an actual sense of progression in storytelling - and natural shortcomings to be especially outstanding, but through a thoroughly entertaining and consistently present soundtrack that is filled with classic tunes, a wealth of nifty archived footage that compliments of sense of sometimes grand range to a sense of sweep to storytelling, down-to-earth and heartfelt interviews - especially by the surviving band members - that charismatically carry storytelling, and subject matter that is simply deeply fascinating and extensively well-explored, "The Beatles Anthology" stands as a consistently compelling and ultimately rewarding exploration and celebration of the life and times of one of the most recognizable and influential forces in modern music history.

3/5 - Good
½ September 12, 2011
Over 10 hours long, this is the most comprehensive documentary that will probably ever exist on the subject of one of the world's most popular, successful, and talented musical groups. I'm a big fan of the band, but I was introduced to their work through this wonderful documentary back when it first aired on ABC in 1995, and I've since watched it several times when I get into a Beatles kick. What really makes it work is that it is narrated primarily by the Beatles themselves (as well as a select few who worked closely with them back in the day), with Lennon being heard through archived interviews. Fantastic piece of work, and the fact that it introduced me to my favorite musical group, it holds a special place in my heart.
Cameron W. Johnson
July 1, 2013

3/5 - Good
March 17, 2013
A must see for every Beatles fan.
October 28, 2012
Best 10 hours of Beatles concerts/interviews/clips ever pieced together.
November 28, 2010
Even though it runs at over ten hours they'll go by in a flash
February 2, 2012
I've only been listening to the beatles for about 8 months and already i've got all their albums on my ipod. This collection is a great series of movies.
November 25, 2011
Most in depth Documentary I've seen without falling asleep.
August 18, 2009
One of the finest story's ever told.
January 18, 2011
best rock band doc ever!