• R, 2 hr. 5 min.

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Beautiful Country Reviews

February 22, 2013
The Beautiful Country is a very touching film about the hardship of a half American boy in Vietnam and his lonely existence as an outsider everywhere, both in his own country and culture, which reject him, and as a foreigner in America. The terribly difficult trip to America and suffering along the way remind us what our own ancestors went through--the immigrant experience and the lack of acceptance, the grief of the passing of those who die on the journey,and the hard work here that is much the same as the hard work back home. It is a beautiful film that follows Binh's pilgrimage to find acceptance and a home, and well worth seeing.
December 25, 2012
Damien Nguyen does a really fantastic job in the main role.
December 18, 2012
An amazing story that's told well. Binh's journey is tragic and emotional. This movie has a bittersweet ending. I can only watch this movie every couple years as it really shakes me up and makes me appreciate how easy my life is.
Elaine Zhang
September 9, 2012
Damien Nguyen does a really fantastic job in the main role.
May 13, 2012
February 8, 2012
Post Vietnam war - A mixed-race young man travels to find his father in America after being discriminated against in his own country for not being full Vietnamese. The harshness of his life feels painfully real - this one is for adults.
thatuglybetty
January 31, 2012
first i wanted to know if the Vietnamese countryside was really that beautiful, then i wanted to know if the rich ppl in Saigon really behave that way toward their servants in 1990, then i started to doubt if the Malaysian refugee camps were really as depicted (detainees could move about freely, men & women were bunked next to one another), then i really question if a transpacific cargo ship would provide their "slaves" with the privacy & luxury to personal hygiene... then i found out that the min wage in Taxes was $3.80 per hour in 1990, when our protagonist was hired as a ranch hand at $2/hr, "not a cent more"...

But if you can overlook these & the abrupt corny ending, it is a tale rich in drama. Make no mistake that i liked the movie. It was a good try -- it shed light on the "bui doi" (a derogatory term that refers to a Vietnamese-born child fathered by an American soldier during the Vietnam War).
Cynthia S

January 24, 2012
Slow paced, yet intriguing. I should take away 1/2 a star for the unsatisfying ending, but I just couldn't make myself do it. This was very well done, very moving, and very well casted. No Disney ending here, but nice enough to not get me too mad...
December 10, 2011
Excellent ensemble piece about hope, perseverance, belonging. Highly Recommended.
majikhandzz
May 31, 2011
April 25, 2011
I had to see it for a Literature class. very nice movie.
April 6, 2011
Great story of a Vietnamese boy trying to find is American Father.
sasysasu
December 8, 2010
Wunderschöner, emotionaler Film.
December 8, 2009
This movie was supposed to be an emotional journey, but I really never got into it. Bad stuff happens but I didn't develop the attachment to the characters like you are supposed to.
spaulsson
spaulsson

June 26, 2009
Turns into a very gripping movie after a slow beginning. A few unexpected twists adds to the suspense. We get to see both misery and hope when the characters is searching for the American dream. Great acting and photography.
April 1, 2009
stark, harsh, darkly written and mostly sad. A very harsh tale of hardship, misery and human suffering. OH, add some malice by random , sporatic characters and there it is.
WrellikW
June 30, 2008
A very good movie! Quality film, great sets, great scenery, good acting, good story, just a good movie all around. About a man from Vietnam, trying to find who his father is, an American, and traveling around the world to find him. I really liked this movie and highly recommend it!
CallahanCity