Beauty Is Embarrassing Reviews

August 30, 2012
Although this documentary wouldn't look out of place as an episode of Sundance's Iconoclast series, this look at Wayne White, the warped mind behind the look of PEE-WEE'S PLAYHOUSE, has so much heart that I'm not mad about seeing it in a theater. A simultaneous celebration of individualism and family, the film looks at the lifelong journey of a singular artist who is forever in pursuit of his own voice. From his distinctive Southern roots to his boho NYC existence to his accidentally falling into puppeteering, Wayne White is the best kind of outcast - a man who takes "found art" to new levels, who finds beauty in sticks, cardboard, and assorted junk. He finds joy in the simplest things, and like a true artist, he is forever in discovery mode. The father in a family of artists, we experience the loveliness of a wife who is strong support yet is on her own artistic adventure. His two children, also artists, help complete the perfect colony. You can't help but root for this thrilling team.

The film is oddball, almost impressionistic - much like its subject. It becomes deeply moving, however, when he journeys back to his hometown to start a project with a lifelong friend who experienced a much-different artistic life. They work on a project together which almost feels like the statement of their lives. They engage an entire school's art department to build a larger-than-life puppet and prance it around town. To see the looks on the eyes of the children as they gape at this creation is to truly know how much art can mean to people in their lives. It is pure magic and so is this film.
September 27, 2012
A wonderful documentary on the creative genius that is Wayne White. I would have loved to have heard more about the Pee Wee's Playhouse era but to do so would have harmed us in learning more about Wayne. An amusing tale.
½ August 2, 2014
White seems like he'd be an interesting guy to hang around for any arbitrary amount of time (anywhere between 1 second to perhaps over 400 minutes, give or take.)
½ January 27, 2013
A fantastic doc on a visionary artist that dabbles in a variety of mediums such as puppetry, animation, painting. I would love to see more footage from the puppet show that they did while doing the Playhouse.
July 20, 2013
Great movie, really optimistic without being corny. I adore Wayne White so honestly there's no way this could have been bad for me though.
October 19, 2014
highly inspirational shit
½ July 25, 2014
Solid documentary. If you're in the mood to watch a documentary this would be one of the better choices that you could make. When comedy and art meet.
February 5, 2013
This is a simplistic and inspiring little documentary.
½ March 26, 2014
Inside the artist's brain. Wonderful.
½ October 28, 2013
I have seen several art docs and this is the first one where i really liked the artist and his work. You have to be impressed by guys like this you are just hopelessly compelled to create. one of the reasons most people (myself included) are turned off by pop art is the seriousness around it, a barrier wayne white is breaking down.
August 31, 2013
Wayne White is the funniest and most creative artist that I have seen and heard. Neil Berkeley did a great job of capturing Wayne White's creativity and comedic genius.
½ July 25, 2013
A terrific documentary on Wayne White who's done work on Pee Wee's Playhouse and a bunch of other smaller things like his art. He brings in a great view on how some people treat art and the smugness that comes with it. Also he talks about his art style and how fun and enjoyment is what makes his art so special. Overall, it's a must see.
July 19, 2013
Well....I just LOVE Wayne White.....:) He made me smile most of this movie. Love to see people following their dream.
July 2, 2013
fucking awesome! this guy, via his sheer talent and vision, found hollywood success with pee-wee's playhouse and the 'tonight tonight' smashing pumpkins video and loads of other cool eccentric designs. after getting fed up with all the nonsense and political bullshit that comes with working within a business construct (with all the sharks and vampires), he threw it all away to start over, following nothing but his creative muse. and that's when he found his most satisfying successes and joys ever. if you are any kind of artist, creator, or anxious ball of neuroses who is desperate to communicate and connect with the world via expression .. by hurtling yourself all up in and on and around the canvas of life, well, my god, welcome to paradise .. wayne's got the golden key and he's delighted to share. screw you f scott fitzgerald! whew baby!
January 29, 2013
An incredibly entertaining celebration of Wayne White's brilliant artwork, with more than its quota of fantastic real-life characters and thoughtful introspection that make this documentary much more than meets the eye.
September 22, 2012
This touched my artistic heart ;(
March 31, 2013
Good stuff. Wayne White is a genius and it's great to find out more about him.
September 20, 2012
Inspiring movie about an artist who just does what he does. Very much worth seeing.
½ October 14, 2012
Wonderful. Will make everyone who watches it want to explore their creative side