Because of Winn-Dixie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Because of Winn-Dixie Reviews

erika250
½ September 2, 2010
I read the book and the film is as good as the good. The film really follows the book's plot.
Also the film has some really good acting in it.this is one of the best dog films ever made.
½ September 14, 2009
Rather surprising, didn't think I'd like it much, but had to watch it since it has 'Winn-Dixie' in the title, and that's my favorite grocery store.
August 26, 2007
Good family-movie, worth watching.
½ October 17, 2006
Pretty darn cute little film.
Bradley T. Johnson
February 9, 2010
The lead girl is great at keeping the story interesting and letting everything flow. This movie fills me with happiness even though it features much melancholy. Everyone in the movie is amazing. It is a heartwarming movie. Overall Rating:76
½ December 20, 2011
it's a good dog movie with obviously it's flaws, but i read the book and when i watched the movie, it was actually pretty decent, it's funny and harmless. B-
½ June 11, 2011
Tries too hard to be a light-hearted combo of Old Yeller and Air Bud, yet comforts with typical southern hospitality.
½ September 18, 2007
Cute movie about a little girl that befriends a dog that form a unique friendshipt that is hilarious and touching. Simple but nice to watch and enjoyable for the kids. :)
February 15, 2014
A kind of family film that provides the perfect ingredients on following the usual format to make this really enjoyable by its good-hearted warmth. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
June 30, 2014
Because of Winn Dixie is a run-of-the-mill, cutesy little Disney-like adaptation with likable characters, a been-there-done-that plot, and whimsy, overly sentimental messages. It never really moves past average because of the lack of inspiration from the source material in the filmmaking process.
July 1, 2012
A bland adaptation of an almost bland novel. This is a movie that would play during ABC Family's Sunday movie special, and be shut off immediately if anyone with a sense of creativity was holding the remote.
½ August 25, 2013
It was a funny and enjoyable family comedy-drama movie. It had great cinematography, cast, characters, comedy, drama, music and a good storyline. It's one of the best family films ever made. I would recommend this movie to both children and adults.
September 10, 2012
A charming if deviated take on the novel with Anna-Sopha Robb shining in her first and starring role!
November 5, 2012
I saw this movie back when I was a kid and it was ok. But, rewatching it now, it is kinda bland. It's not horrible, but it could have been done better.
½ October 20, 2012
"Because of Winn-Dixie" is a sweet family film that doesn't do much new, but everything it does is done well. It's charming and funny, and it has a really good heart.
½ June 16, 2012
A cute, and enjoyable family movie with a message I thought was very interesting. That's all I have to say.
½ April 21, 2012
Though predictable and bland, Winn Dixie does have some genuinely sweet moments and some likeable charcters (though it doe nothing with them).
April 20, 2012
One of those movies that improves upon multiple viewings. The first time I watched it, my reaction was less than impressed; it struck me as a little odd. The second time around though I appreciated it for its genuinely good mix of emotion. The film has depth, something rare in most of the films that have a child star. Anna Sophia Robb brings excellent character and expression to the character of Opal, and the story is pulled off without being hokey. Some great thoughts and feelings about human nature seen through the eyes of a child.
April 15, 2012
A surprisingly complex story present innocently in the guise of a fanily film Cicely Tyson was brilliant as Gloria and Annasophia Robb shines as Opal. The story of pain and loss affecting everyone is a beautifully told. Its really not justa kids film and its definitely not about the dog. really awesome.
½ June 22, 2011
It doesn't really do the book much credit. It stays true to the original storyline but looses itself in trying to be a kids movie.