Becoming Jane Reviews

June 4, 2011
For the most part it feels like I've seen this movie before, but I suppose there are only so many ways you can expect a romance with period-themes to unfold.

Not saying the script lacks sophistication but you'd also expect more verbally exhausting dialogue in a movie that pays homage to Austen. Pleasantly enough it doesn't overwrite us with conceit but at the same time fans of her novels might be disappointed.

Most of the highlights are the subtle humor and watching McAvoy verbally duel things out with Hathaway; unfortunately both of these aspects die out of the film half way through.

In the end it does the job without becoming an annoying blatant analysis of her literature but barely holds the viewers attention long enough to care for her somewhat generic "life experiences". If this weren't fiction it makes you wonder why there aren't more legendary authors running about.
½ March 28, 2011
By no means am I a fan of Jane Austin's work, but I ended up really enjoying this and was surprised at how original its idea is. This doesn't spend the majority of its running time using inside jokes about Austin's work or make it about her work at all. This focuses on the life of Jane Austin and her inspiration. Unsurprisingly, it's Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy that are the main attractions with their great performances. If you are a fan of either, it's enough to watch the movie. However, I really got pulled into the story and excellent blend of the "period piece" genre that made it seem genuine and not cheesy.
April 27, 2008
A great movie but I wish that Jane & Tom would've ended up in the end. But great movie! :)
August 24, 2007
Ever wondered why Jane Austen wrote about courting but not marriage? Her own life was touched with unfulfilling love. She loved a man but he needed to marry for money and her family had none. Jane decided not to marry and earn her own living through writing novels which was unheard of by women in those days. Good cast including James McAvoy, Julie Walters and Maggie Smith.
February 18, 2007
Actually, it was a sweet movie, really sweet movie... A love story of one of the greatest authoress in English, Jane Austen, that I will never though that it could be so interesting like this... But the weakness in this movie, which is also the supremacy, is the conversation they have along this movie... With an unique British accent and so many difficult words to understand, it pretty annoying me, knowing that my English wasn't very good at all... Anne Hathaway herself did a pretty good job as Jane Austen with her accent, her charm, and also her beauty... But what captured in my mind is she didn't fit enough for the role as Jane Austen... In my opinion, Keira Knightley would be the best cast as Jane Austen in this movie... Especially because they have James McAvoy as the love interest of Jane Austen here... I think the chemistry that Knightley and McAvoy already had in 'Atonement' were be great if they doing it again in this movie... But after all, we should gives a thumbs up to Anne Hathaway... At least she's been trying to put some good performances with her own unique accent here but for me it wasn't good enough...
½ July 19, 2008
What a pain it was to grow up in the time of Jane Austin. All these rules around gender, class and wealth and having to learn complicated dances. Aren't we lucky we don't live in the late 18th century.
½ June 6, 2008
Although I know part of this is based in history for some reason I just never got into it. Maybe because the whiffs of Pride and Prejudice in the plot were too strong for me, instead of emphasising her inspiration it just seemed to make me compare it to the novel.
April 15, 2008
typical gooey, romantic chick flick. It was great.
½ February 28, 2008
Pretty good take-off on the Austen formula. Besides, James McAvoy is adorable. He can't help it.
½ February 22, 2008
whould have been better IF SOME PEOPLE would have shut up
½ February 21, 2008
Becoming Jane is a very good period piece. If you are a fan (which I am) of Jane Austen novels and films you will enjoy it. Anne Hathaway does a very good job as the young and old Jane Austen. If you like a romance with a dash of drama, nice period sets, costumes and more you will not be disappointed.
February 15, 2008
Excellent Movie! If you like Pride or Prejudice or Atonement well your gonna like very much this one, it has that same magic style coming from the famous books of Jane Austen. is the story of the great, untold romance that inspired a young Jane Austen, played by Anne Hathaway. Willful and spirited, Jane is not ready to be tied down to anything but her writing. That is until she meets Tom Lefro, a charming rogue from London who spends more time drinking and socializing than on his law studies.
May 12, 2007
So much emotion, so much romance. I absolutely loved it. It exceeded my expectations and left me sobbing when the credits rolled. A real gem.
½ June 22, 2007
I only recall this approximate story: James McAvoy takes off his shirt and is hot. James McAvoy is hot while he falls asleep. Anne Hathaway is bitchy multiple times to James McAvoy. James McAvoy is hot while he plays baseball. James McAvoy disappears for a length of time and it is boring. Then he returns. Anne rejects hot James McAvoy's propositions for sex/elopement. Anne Hathaway dies a virgin. The end. It was dumb but James McAvoy got to me. Mmmm.
September 30, 2007
I love how insipid lines like "I am yours heart and soul" and "I won't give you up" sound amazing in an Irish accent. Movie was pretty much Dullsville whenever James McAvoy (in terms of the love story, not his hotness factor) wasn't on screen. Hathaway was okay. Perfect ending.
½ May 31, 2007
Directed by: Julian Jarrold.
Starring: Anne Hathaway, James McAvoy, Maggie Smith, Julie Walters.

I have never read a Jane Austen novel and if you had asked me a year ago if I was interested in seeing this film, I would have said no....but since then, I have found a passion for films, I have branched out to many different genres and languages and found some brilliant I told my mum and sister about this film, both readers of Jane Austen and as soon as they wanted to see it, I was interested.

The film at times, as a love story and a period piece is by the numbers, there is nothing new to be found in this film that hasn't really been done before, but I can't deny that it is a well made film with a touching love story at the center, full of heart and emotion and that alone makes it a step above other films like it. It is beautifully shot (I can forgive the overuse of manual focus from the director), with some amazing landscape shots and set design, as well as very authentic costumes. The screenplay does follow formula and it will probably remind many people of Jane Austen's stories, as alot of them are based on her life, but there is a touching and beautiful love story, some great witty humour and charm to be had, as well as some great performances from the leads, with Anne Hathaway being the biggest surprise of them all, showing great charm and essence on screen, as well as a near spot-on english accent.

I am glad I saw the film, you don't necessarily have to know Jane Austen or be a big fan of her writing to enjoy this film, it is formulaic and about 15 minutes too long, but the film is beautifully shot, full of charm and wit, amazing performances and a heartwarming little love story at the center. Recommended.
August 22, 2007
Slow moving film, but I didn't expect it to be anyhting but so. Pretty well-made film. Music and cinematography was phenominal.
½ June 10, 2007
"My characters shall have, after a little trouble, all that they desire." A quote from Jane Austen, one of the most influential and honoured novelists in English literature, offers a glimpse into the mind of a great authoress and shapes our understanding of countless famous Austen heroins from Mrs Dashwood, in Sense and Sensibility, to Elizabeth Bennett, in Pride and Prejudice, to Emma, in Emma, naming but a few. Such a glimpse is promised in the film Becoming Jane, however is not fully delivered due mainly in to allegations of historical inaccuracy and the weakness of the leading lady. Rarely has an American successfully played a English woman, rarer still a Austen heroin and never Jane Austen herself. I couldn't help but feel that Ann Hathaway was punching above her wieght, surrounded by veterans of British stage and screen, notably one of my favourite actresses Maggie Smith and the recently deceased great Ian Richardson. The painfully American Hathaway acts like a naieve child in the company of experienced adults. It goes without saying that the above mentioned actors perform limitedly but slendidly. A missed oportunity at greatness, Becoming Jane ends up, not as a great biography but as a period coming of age story. Dissapointing in intended purpose but charming romantically. Fitting an English romance story about the English romance writer, rather than a great biography of a great writer.
April 10, 2008
It was not clear as to the reason why Jane left her lover and went home. I was confused. This was definitely not a conventional ending for movies of this sort.
A very forgettable storyline. I rented it again not remembering that I had already seen it. When I saw it again, I remember thinking that I had seen it before and thought, "This is awful! Why am I watching it?"
½ June 11, 2009
I wished that the ending was completley different, but then the whole story would have to be changed to compliment the new ending.