—— The Identical Sep 05

Bedknobs and Broomsticks Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 13, 2012
Enjoyable, but not perfect Disney Live action feature, Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a bit of a letdown considering that Mary Poppins was such a wonderful film. I'm not saying that this film is bad, but compared to others in the Disney canon, it'd just good, not excellent. However, this is nonetheless a good enough family film to watch with your family and is a film that people of all ages will surely enjoy. Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a fun film, one that could have been just as great as Mary Poppins, but sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired. I felt that at times the film tried too hard, and they tried to outdo previous films. Unfortunately it lacks that little something to really make this film special. Sure it has all the usual trademarks, but I just felt it was a step down from other Disney films. For what it is, it's still a very entertaining film for what it is, and is worth watching. Despite its flaws, Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a fun, entertaining family film that Disney fans should enjoy. However, Mary Poppins was the better film, and it seemed that they tried to outdo that film with this one, but in doing so, you felt that the script at times was uneven and didn't deliver its full potential. The film could have been much better as a whole, but overall, it's still a fun little entertaining film that is a must see for the entire family. A good film for what it is, Bed knobs and Broomsticks is still a Disney classic, but in some areas, it does lack, and it's a bit disappointing. Luckily the cast saves this film and it's what makes this film worth seeing.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
A fun adventure, with what was probably quite an impressive mix in 1971 of animation and Actors combined. Very drawn out and very dated now, although the Portobello Market scene was really enjoyable.
Alexander D

July 8, 2011
Bad
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
A childhoold favourite and a classic.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
A good kids movie, not great, but I think kids will enjoy it.
erika250
erika250

March 19, 2010
I really liked plot and music in this film. Also the acting was really good.
3niR
3niR

February 13, 2010
If you are thinking about watching this movie now, please don't bother. You'll find this extremely boring and stupid. The story already gives you the hint and also the year when it was released. I remember watching this a long time ago and liking it. But I was young so that was acceptable. I would say this is a good movie for children under 10.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
It's been ages since I last saw this, but I doubt that it's gotten any less funny, whimsical, or entertaining.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
really boring. way too long. hardly anything i liked about this movie. D
Conner R

June 4, 2010
What a weird movie, even to this day I marvel at it's lack of reality. The blending of animation and live-action was touched on in Mary Poppins, but this goes even further and takes the story completely off the reservation. I think it's a lot more enjoyable than Mary Poppins, it sort of has a Chronicles of Narnia feel to it. Definitely a classic and must see, very few mainstream movies will ever be as odd as this.
Jason O

September 11, 2009
In "Bedknobs and Broomsticks," an apprentice witch (Angela Lansbury) is just learning how to be successful at performing spells, flying on a broom, and other things that witches do. However, the book she has been learning from is missing its last page and she's real eager to learn the rest about witchcraft, especially after she finds out that it could be helpful in defending the British against attacks of war. She and her friends will get to where they need to go with the aid of a magical bedknob.
"Bedknobs and Broomsticks" had everything going for it at the time of its release, and it still does 30 years later. The story is interesting, it has good acting, some parts are hilarious, and much more. Another thing I really liked about it was its oscar-winning effects. Most of the movie is in real-time action, but some parts are also animated. In the animated parts, Angela Lansbury and her friends all interact with the cartoons, a lot like you see in "Space Jam," only better. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Loved this movie indeed and would love to see again or own.
Phil H

August 8, 2007
Wasn't well recieved I believe but again this was in the video machine (the large metal box with a wire connected remote lol) so much. Its imaginative and fun and easy to loose yourself in the fantasy world. It still looks great today, I still love the end sequence where the knights take on the nasty Germans, the old spookish house where Egglatine lives with Cosmic Creepers, is she a witch? and of course the animated footie match.
Daniel H

December 22, 2008
A movie cannot rely on pure whimsy alone, and dangling plot elements leave much to be desired (whatever happened to that nefarious bookdealer and his goon?), as well as the fact that Disney let this one sit on its shelf until it was perhaps 25 years beyond being relevant. Also, it misses an essential component of a good childrens film: it needs an element of fear to temper the exuberance.

Regardless, the final scenes in which the ghosts of England come alive, and the classic magical effects and gags, make this classic film well worth your time.
Bannan i

May 17, 2008
It's plain fun, especially when you're a kid.
:]
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

February 22, 2008
i love this film its so lovely funny and excellant even for older people not just aimed at a younger audience
Jason S

December 28, 2006
This is a pretty good musical that has a few catchy tunes and dance numbers. One of the cool things about the movie is the various places the characters end up going. They head under the sea and to a place ruled by animals and even into the heart of a german attack on england. It wasn't until later in life after watching this how adult the main reason for Lansbury studying magic was. She wanted to use it to fight the germans during WWII.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 4, 2007
Been a while
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
A clumsy Disney tale of witches and magic during World War II in an English Village. The songs are long and forgettable. There are some scenes where the live-action characters visit an animated island of fantasy animals to play a game of soccer. It's a visual spectacle. When they return to their village, there are some nasties to contend with, and some creepy magical animation of a non-human army. It seemed like a jumble of ideas which didn't mesh, for a somewhat dull film.
deano
deano

February 28, 2007
Very clever fusion of live action, animation sequences and flying bed help provides a fun filled time. I like the animated soccer game scene that makes me can't stop laughing.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
great flick for the family