93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Bee Season Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

May 9, 2013
Imagine growing up in a family of academics, musicians, and Jewish mystics. When 12-year-old Eliza (Flora Cross) wins both the district and regional spelling bees, her father, Saul (Richard GereJewish mysticism, begins to tutor her daily. Not only is he preparing her for the state spelling bee competition, but Saul is also training his daughter to be the mystic he wasn't able to become. Bee Season is not only a movie about meditation, but it is also itself a meditation. This family is consumed with finding God, but they all look outside of the family to find it, and in the process, the family falls apart. Eliza's older brother Aaron (Max Minghella) is so jealous that his sister is getting all of the family's attention that he goes off and joins a Buddhist cult, and everyone in the family is so focused on their own problems that no one notices the mother (Juliette Binoche) going slowly insane! Bee Season is transcendent and thought-provoking, and it even makes me want to go out and look for God. 3 Stars 5-2-13
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 15, 2009
Family isn't just about talking. It's about understanding.
Jennifer X

June 6, 2007
had a lot of potential but blew it.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

December 4, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]In "Bee Season", 11 year-old Eliza(Flora Cross) has just won her school spelling bee and against older kids, too. Her father, Saul(Richard Gere), is a religion professor at Berkeley who is especially interested in the Kabbalah. He takes an extraordinary interest in her contests in an attempt to connect it back to his own studies, thus leaving her older brother, Aaron(Max Minghella), feeling a little left out in the cold. Eliza's mother, Miriam(Juliette Binoche), is a biologist who has issues of her own.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Bee Season" is an intelligent movie about people looking for answers in the world around them.(Since I don't think there are any answers, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.) Saul is looking for them in religion while Miriam looks in science. And Miriam is still looking for answers concerning her parents' death. It is a sports movie(if ESPN televises it, then it's a sport) that is positively brimming with ideas. And I liked the imaginative visualizations illustrating how Eliza thinks out the spelling of the words.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Note 1: Scott McGehee and David Siegel also co-directed "Suture" and "The Deep End" which are also both recommended. Both movies are referenced here. Suture is one of the words in an early spelling bee. There is a Lake Tahoe bumper sticker on the refrigerator in the house. Lake Tahoe was the setting for "The Deep End."[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Note 2: With the exception of a rerelease of "Days of Heaven" a few years back, I think this is the first time I have seen a movie featuring Richard Gere in a theatre.[/font]
William G

November 7, 2006
Seldom do films manage to be so self-satisfied, so overwhelmingly pretentious, and so very dull. D-U-L-L.
Sunil J

April 19, 2008
I liked it but the book was better.
May 15, 2014
Watching paint dry. I was patient. Very patient. Well filmed and a well assembled cast wasted on a dumb and dumber script. I was left wondering, did Richard Gere approve of this script or was it a bait and switch?
December 23, 2008
One of those book-based movies that left out a lot of core character info. This adaptation lacked cohesiveness for me.
theNix
March 27, 2007
I don't know why this movie was scored so low. This movie is beautiful and moving. It was very different from what I expected.
thechinesean182
April 17, 2008
whoaa....this is the weirdest movie i've seen. ABSOLUTELY NO POINT. nuff' said!
Richard Gere was ok. But he was all obsessed with religion, the son was experimenting with religious behaviors and got caught, the poor little girl was writhing on the floor and the mom was reliving dreams of her past and stealing things. RETARDED!!! don't see it.
mcirish02
March 7, 2007
I think this set a record. I wasn't even half an hour in when I turned it off. lovely piece of literature, dullest first twenty minutes of a film in movie history
terryc1000
January 10, 2008
Very strange story. Not one of my favs but must watch because of Gere. I love to watch him act in anything. This is a very complex movie with many stories being told at the same time. Gere, trying to connect with his family. The son trying to discover who he is. The mother who has lost her grip on reality and finds an outlet for your cries for help. and a gift daughter who, Gere tries desparately to put in a guilded cage to shower her with all the love and affection he finds that the rest of his family do not seem to want or need. This movie magically grows on you and before you know it, you find yourself watching it again and again.
February 11, 2008
a very interesting movie. it just doesn't deal with a spelling bee but the family around the girl. deep thought of words and God. achieved from just having a gift. glad to see the family come together after all.
lovemyself1984
November 16, 2007
Bee Season promises much,especially in the beginning,but later,it starts getting repetitive,irritatingly mysterious,and boring
September 25, 2007
not a very good movie. To much Hindu or what ever it was and the whole meaning of the movie just didn't flow
clairecwigley
July 23, 2007
Imagine watching an irritating autistic girl and her equally unlikeable family for two hours. That's this movie.
xanderearl
February 16, 2007
Hmmm?? There's a lot going on here--from familial disfunction to religious strife. If you want a spelling bee movie, stick to Akeelah.
nanoqna
January 1, 2007
this movie has like no plot. and the ending made me think wtf why did i rent this movie?! i only remember liking the story about the wife. and the girl playing the little girl was good and so was richard gere.
prentisminix
December 28, 2006
one of the rediculously stupidest films ever imagined...i can't portray to you how pointless and boring this movie was!
Quelano
August 23, 2006
Very good, I expected this to be like all those other spelling bee movies, but this was very different. In fact most of it was about the differences in religion. Seriously amazing; I would reccomend this (to certain klinds of people).