Beethoven's 2nd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beethoven's 2nd Reviews

½ November 21, 2011
The first of many sequels in this stupid franchise. I remember liking the first two films in this series back when they first came out, only because I was like 8 years old at the time of the first two films release. Looking back now, these films haven't stood the test of time, and really insult a kid's intelligence. The films are terrible, and there's been so many better films that the family can enjoy than this tired, unimpressive series. Luckily I stopped caring about Beethoven after this second entry. The film suffers from a poor plot, bad acting, and really doesn't do anything original. The only reason that they green lit this second film was to cash in on the success of the first, that's it. It was clear that no matter how crappy the plot was, how poorly developed the plot and characters were people would go see it. I'm sorry but the Beethoven series is simply a dull, poorly crafted family oriented series. I can name a dozen family films that are better than this. I hated this film and seeing this on TV again, I wondered why I even liked these two films. I guess when you're a kid, you like everything. Beethoven 2nd is a poorly made sequel that just doesn't entertain. This is the type of film that can't be redeemed and this series was doomed from the start. If you enjoy a good family oriented film, rent Toy Story instead. At least that was a great film that was smartly crafted. This film reuses recycled, boring old ideas and doesn't do anything to entertain you. Hell, they pumped out six sequels with the same old ideas. This proves that Hollywood is running out of ideas.
August 18, 2010
This movie was honestly dreadful, stupid and awful. Any other word also, the book just reads on of terrible words. I can't believe that the creators were thinking that they were making a good family film. It is complete trash!
½ August 15, 2009
"Beethoven's 2nd" is a good movie, and it's a lot like the original movie. The only difference is that in this one, Beethoven finds a girlfriend and has a bunch of puppies. So George Newton (Charles Grodin) will have even more dogs to roll his eyes at this time around. The children beg their dad to let the new puppies stay until they get grown, and after awhile he agrees. However, not all is smooth sailing for Beethoven, his girlfriend, and the puppies. In ways, this movie might remind you of "101 Dalmatians" because a mean woman and her sidekick are trying to catch the puppies' mom after the woman gets a divorce from her husband, who is the owner of the dog. She might remind you of Cruella De Vil in a way. Beethoven and his family must find a way to keep their puppies and Beethoven safe, just in case the woman decides she wants them too.
Some of the best parts of the movie are when Beethoven and the family go to the carnival and he and Mr. Newton enter a hamburger eating contest, and when Beethoven rips down the complete side of a house. The movie isn't as funny as the first one was, but some parts of it were funny, and the whole movie is good. If you like good family or comedy movies, I recommend getting "Beethoven's 2nd." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000
½ August 8, 2009
Watchable first sequel to the surprise hit stars Charles Grodin and Bonnie Hunt as the reprising Newton family, whose slobbering Saint Bernard--Beethoven--gets himself a female doggie to make love with and produce tiny little doggies with. Problem: Two evil dognappers are chasing after the puppies.

Why do they want them? Well, why did Cruella Devil want puppies? Because they're villains.

A very poor movie, but compared to "Beethoven's 3rd, 4th" and "5th" this looks like a masterpiece.

2.5/5 stars -- mediocre but watchable sequel.
January 1, 2008
Sequel to Beethoven, Mrs Beethoven has puppies in this one.
July 9, 2007
Sequal, and it turned out really good, for one. I liked it as much as the first one. Another one of my favorites as a kid.
½ January 17, 2007
silly, they should have stopped at 1
October 4, 2006
I suppose I was about 12 when I saw this. Could've spent that 1h on something else.
August 3, 2011
Too many of the movies I loved as a child I later realized sucked hardcore. Oh great, now I feel nostalgic.
July 3, 2007
Good movie. I like the story and the fact the cast returned. St. Bernard's cute but when it grows old you cant get the poo in to an ordinary plastic bag so you have to carry like plastic 10qrt shopping bags and take like 8lbs of it each time he feels for it.
November 27, 2011
September 1, 2007
Debbie Mazur is awesome.
½ November 21, 2009
Charles Grodin comically sputters and fumes, and generally displays indignation better than anyone in the movies, and he is frequently hilarious, but the film's focus is on the dogs, with an off-the-wall approach that has the house invaded by four St. Bernard puppies, and which allows Grodin the opportunity for even more doubletakes and outrage. The jokes are alternately amusing, silly and vulgar, and there are also a couple of set-pieces calculated to get big laughs, as when Beethoven pulls down a beach house balcony.
August 12, 2006
For fans of the 1st one only.
January 14, 2010
Just about as good as the original. I actually liked the dream sequence that Beethoven had with all the meat. I thought that was kind of funny. Had some funny moments and had kind of a better villain than the last, but it had too many puppies in this. Not that good or funny, but something that the kids could enjoy.
June 17, 2009
This wasn't bad following on the footsteps of the first one. The evil witch in this movie at least had georgeous eyes...Can't say much for her characters winning personality
July 30, 2008
i hate these movies they go on and on and on enough already we know st.bernards are big and make messes jeez!
June 18, 2008
Uggh, I have a great fear of Nicholle Tom...perhapes it's because her parents spelled 'Nicole' incorrectly...
½ March 24, 2008
Purely a kid movie. It's not fair to rate these movies in the conventional sense, so I rate as I thought of it as a child.
March 1, 2008
Funny movie. For some reason, this was better years after I saw it the first time. St. Bernard puppies are so cute. Plus it's fun to point out some actors in their earlier days.