Beetlejuice Reviews

November 29, 2012
Michael Keaton is a raucous and hilarious precursor to Johnny Depp's drunken gay pirate. However, the story of ghosts trying to exorcise the living is top-heavy, taking too long to start, and the zany parts, while visually stylistic, don't really push the narrative along - the dinner dance, Beetlejuice marrying Lydia.
Directors Cat
October 29, 2011
Beetlejuice was met with mixed response upon release and is now rightfully a classic to the horror comedy genre. And of course, Tim Burton's overlooked talent at the time was like the unrecognisable talent of Led Zeppelin in the sixties and seventies, the world wasn't ready for them yet, the world wasn't ready for Tim Burton back at the time to bring weirdness to a whole new level in cinema.
movieguru12
March 2, 2008
Day-o. You say day, you say day, you say dayyy-oooo. This movie is very comical. Winona Ryder's Lydia Deetz, is so odd and interesting which equally balances out between Baldwin & Davis's Adam and Barbara, a couple who are normal and have never been able to have a baby. Michael Keaton kills it as Beetlejuice and is extremely psychotic and that makes us love him even more.
theunknownhobo
½ July 17, 2011
Michael Keaton never gets enough respect for the movies he has made, same can be said for Alec Baldwin and Wynona Ryder but this movie is an integral part of my childhood and will always place those actors at the top of my lists.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 22, 2011
Beetlejuice directed by Tim Burton is one of the essential horror comedies. Yet another memorable and bizarre film by Tim Burton, Beetlejuice is a thoroughly entertaining film with a good cast. After their accidental death, the Maitlands hire a bio exorcist by the name of Beetjuice (brilliantly played by Michael Keaton) to exorcise the living spirits from their home. A very original film, Beetlejuice is one of those films that is a must watch during the Halloween season. The cast that grace the film are really wonderful and all of them bring something unique to the screen. Beetlejuice is a fun filled film that blends horror and comedy into one and in the hands of Tim Burton, the film takes on an eccentricity that only Burton can deliver. The film is bizarre of course and if you're familiar with most of Tim Burton's earlier films such as Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice has that weird vibe going on but with a fun story line to boot. Beetlejuice is never a dull film as Keaton excels in his role of Beetlejuice, with his performance alone, he has carved himself a memorable place in horror as one of the most bizarre, amusing and original characters in the genre. Keaton is so good in the film that it's hard to picture someone else in the part. For the Halloween season, if you're looiking for a good horror comedy film, then Beetlejuice has enough laughs and scares for a fun fillled evening with friends.
July 12, 2007
Aaahhhh ... you get older, you see a film after some years, and it loses some of that original zing ...
November 16, 2009
No matter how many times you revisit Beetlejuice, it still has that beautiful sense of originality and weirdness pumping through its frames. Tim Burton became the director we all know and love because of this movie. It's pretty much the basis for all of his nutball ideas, kooky sets and moderately insane characters. Beetlejuice not only tackles life death and everything in between, but it becomes an entirely different way of interpreting reality and fiction. It's apparent to anyone who's seen or heard Tim Burton that he is not normal or lives anything other than a ridiculous lifestyle. His warped sense of emotions and right and wrong is something close to that of a mad scientist. Beetlejuice might not be Tim Burton's greatest feat, but it is certainly a classic in every way. It's strangely glued to a younger audience when it's really a highly demented and adult themed story. However, it's bright color palette suggests otherwise. The character of Beetlejuice is some kind of combination of a used car salesman, a serial rapist and a charming uncle. Somehow he isn't even the most bizarre element of the movie. No one should take this movie at face value because honestly you'd drive yourself insane trying to make sense of everything. Tim Burton knows exactly what he's doing and what he wants to achieve; even if he is seven different kinds of crazy.
September 6, 2010
Love this movie so much! I highly recommend it. The cast is fantastic, especially Keaton as the title character, and Ryder as the cool goth girl. Another brilliant film from Burton, it's fun, humorous, and creepy.
michael e.
October 30, 2010
a brilliant comedy from the dark mind of Tim Burton ide say its the best of all of his films
neverteaseaweasel
November 12, 2009
You know, I sort of miss the old Tim Burton. This is by no means my favorite movie of his, but it is hands down one of his most creative and inventive films. It is just more vibrant and clever than some of his recent work. The story and characters are both funny and lovable. The visual style is amazing, especially considering how old the film is. The surreal/purgatory scenes were probably my favorites. They are just so wacked-out and tacky - the whole film is, really. Alec Baldwin looks really odd young. I never realized that he had a career before 30 Rock. Catherine O'Hara was born to play loud, obnoxious women and you cannot help loving her. Winona Ryder looks incredibly young. I love Tim Burton, but had also procrastinating about viewing Beetlejuice. I expected to be disappointed, but honestly was anything but. It is hands down one of his funniest and most creative works. I still would not say that it is his best just because it really doesn't show the rest of his talents. The characters and relationships are not nearly as great as those in Sweeney Todd or Big Fish. Still, there is quite enough to make an incredibly special film.
June 24, 2010
B-
Kyle F.
February 19, 2010
Great fun! The Best Tim Burton Film I've ever seen, with spectacular visuals, clever acting, and perhaps Danny Elfman's best work yet for the score, as well. It's corny at points, but one of the remarkable things about the script is that it tells a story, without forcing a specific structure or concept into it.
½ January 27, 2010
One of my favourite old horror movies, that is actually quite funny!
MeetMeinMontauk
May 24, 2009
Ah, Tim Burton. How do you not love it?
ScoopOnline
½ February 15, 2008
If You've Seen One Ghost... You Haven't Seen Them All. Inthebasket.
September 9, 2009
Michael Keaton has never been better. Everyone else has. Good film though!
½ January 7, 2008
Certain merit in this film remembering that it wasn't made with todays illustrious CGI and model making that Tim Burton would create for any of his films released in the future. Yet you can still distinctly tell it is a T.Burton movie and I think Winona Ryder takes the show to make it a much better film.
August 15, 2009
"Beetlejuice" is one of the best movies of the late 80's. Adam (Alec Baldwin) and his wife Barbara (Geena Davis) died in a car crash, and come back as ghosts living in their old house. However, some new people have moved in and Adam and Barbara want them out of their house. They contact a bio exorcist named Beetlejuice to help them get rid of the new, living owners.
"Beetlejuice" is a great movie for many reasons. Michael Keaton does a spectacular job as Beetlejuice, and Winona Ryder and the rest of the crew also do a good job. The special effects were superb and the script was also done well. Pretty much, there's not anything bad about the movie. If you like comedy/horror movies, I recommend you to get "Beetlejuice." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!
TomBowler
½ August 2, 2009
an off-the-wall comedy about ghosts. brilliant. winona ryder is really good as a dark, gothic teen. alec baldwin and geena davis are also fantastic, though the show is stolen by michael keaton
August 8, 2007
Beetlejuice is spooktacular, original and again beautifully dark and twisted, I absolutely love the spooky, kooky design of everything, its sheer Burton gold in every sense, I love it. The soundtrack is awesome and the effects are cheesey yet lovely haha and as for Keaton....he's perfect as the wicked, disgusting raspy voiced ghoul.
This film never looses its charm, I just wish Burton had made another.