Beginners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beginners Reviews

½ June 23, 2015
I wish I could give this 0 stars. Another user said they turned it off after half an hour, oh how I wish I had. I kept waiting for it to turn around, it never did. Plummer got an Oscar for this?
It was painfully slow, and I found it extremely depressing on every level. Definitely one of, if not the worst film I've ever suffered through. I might prefer to have my wisdom teeth out again.
June 4, 2015
depressing and bored
May 15, 2015
A touching film about love in all its shapes, life and death with great performances from its leads and an interesting narrative. Worth watching if you're in the right mood for it.
½ April 11, 2015
Impossible not to fall for this movie. I'd give it a higher rating if Mills hadn't made Hal's cancer ordeal so "easy" looking. But realism is not always the most important part of a story -- especially when a character is looking back.
½ May 1, 2015
A non-linear slow paced drama that wins you over with subtle and genuine performances. And an adorable dog to boot.
June 5, 2011
God bless Christopher Plummer, what an inspiring performance.
March 26, 2015
I'm shocked this brilliant film hasn't gotten more attention. It explores life, the past, who we are today; and how it figures into our future. It is at times beautifully poetic, sometimes melancholy and others joyous. Everything about it is superb: the writing, direction and acting; all blissfully married together in one heartfelt journey. The dialogue is real, honest and sometimes brutal. I can't imagine anyone viewing this without being completely consumed and deeply moved.

Beginners is a film best viewed alone. It will stay with you, perhaps haunt you and most definitely cause you to reflect on your own unique and unpredictable life.
March 3, 2015
Beginners is a sweet, lovable story. Although the slow-pace and having the film jump around from time to time may not be for some, the film succeeds with a beautiful, top notch performance by Christopher Plummer.
½ July 13, 2011
Loved it. Kinda sad, but the story was well told. I keep falling for Mr. McGregor a little more every time I see him, and this did just that.
½ February 21, 2015
Great music, very slow paced while still very much on time to the events. Still easy to follow through bouncing back and forth time periods. Sensitive believable acting as characters moved forward in their development.
February 20, 2015
Mélanie Laurent was right in the movie , the expressions of the people you speak of many things, perfectly testable in Beginners .
Words fail me to express everything that has made me feel such situations to swim unknown in our society , as the characters face the events that befall them and their relations , as it can apparently be easy will inevitably complicate pro not cause major disasters both in life and in others by the inexperience of being beginners, because the complexity of life allows us to make mistakes both young and old . But despite being rookies, if we say yes to life and followed our instincts , we can make the sad and complex becomes cheerful and simple.
½ February 6, 2015
Written and directed by Mike Mills (Paperboys (2001) and Thumbsucker (2005)), this romantic comedy drama was inspired by events from Mills' own life, when his own father came out as homosexual at the age of 75. It's an original idea for a film, and it does touch upon a plight most men faced in the old days, but kept it secret. As well as how family members might react when the bombshell is dropped. Told in a series of flashback, illustrator Oliver Fields (Ewan McGregor) remembers his recently departed father Hal (Christopher Plummer), who succumbed to cancer. After Hal's wife and Oliver's mother died, Hal comes out as gay, which is a big shock to his son, but Oliver comes to accept it. He never had much of a relationship with his father, rather spending more time with his free-spirited mother Georgia (Mary Page Keller). Shortly after his father's passing, Oliver meets French actress Anna (Mélanie Laurent), and pursues romance with Anna, using his father's postive open philosophy in life to keep the romance fresh. On the surface, something like this could have come across as mawkish and sentimental. But it has a quirky charm and a gentle sense of humour, and it manages to be bubbly and optomistic, even if death is a theme hanging over the film. But, it manages to be compelling and it's got something to say about modern relationships.
½ February 1, 2015
In Woody Allen's hands probably would've worked but although not without charm and wit, too much sentimental sloppy drivel.
½ April 21, 2014
Grade:High 7/10

Beginners is a witty and sweet RomCom and Drama piece that earned
Christopher Plummer an Oscar and was very interesting to watch indeed
also. I felt it was solidly a good film and possibly even higher, but
that is for you to see but I will review It here and explain why I felt
it was a good Romance like film.

The story is as funny as it is moving and each character can be both
emotions just like that. The story is lovely and as I said witty with a
special feeling encompassing the entire piece and a very sad vein that
runs right through until the end of the movie, you will see what I mean
when you have finished watching the film. Finally I felt as a straight
Romance it is one of the best around and doesn't get soppy or cheesy
really at any point, it is just an indie film through and through.

Plummer who won the Oscar in all aspects in the best display of acting
here and was fully deserving, his funny act coupled with his revelation
that he is homosexual make for a funny man and one that shows just how
loving a dying man can be(no spoilers here, it is in the synopsis).
Ewan McGregor in the lead role isn't far behind and his loving fling
with Melanie Laurent is beautifully crafted together and one of the
sweetest duo's I have ever seen. There isn't a massive cast either and
so the big three stand out even more and you feel for them 100%.

I loved the script as it was humorous and also dramatic and the way the
writer(Mike Mills, who also directs it)does it all is just so dynamic
and as Ii said before, manages to craft together McGregor and Laurent
perfectly. I loved the soundtrack running with it too as it showed you
it wasn't just an indie film but also a sweet filled film with the
soundtrack conveying emotion even more than what is already being done.

When criticism come's well I guess it is kind of slow and the film can
be confusing as you will see when it show's parts of McGregor's past
and then his present but you can get confused which one he is in. Not
much else to say other than it is as I say slow but it doesn't hurt the
film much at all, if anything not at all.

Would recommend for those who like there RomCom's and especially if the
like Indie films with a less mainstream feel to it. I know for a fact
some will find it boring as they probably don't like Romance's which is
fair but even if you don't give it a go and see how you feel about it,
it may just surprise you and make you realise that Romance's and
RomCom's alike are not as bad you thought they were.

Overall I give it a high 7/10 and felt it was quite nearly moving even further
up but stayed at being solidly a good film. Go watch it and you may
just love it, what I did feel is that some people will see this and
either get really loved up and want McGregor's kind of love, and that
some would get sad at not having that love already, but in any case
just watch it and see what you think, couldn't recommend it enough.
January 17, 2015
Una cinta que trasmite una profunda melancolía de principio a fin, y que vela porque las acciones de sus personajes hablen más que cualquier otro diálogo; de ahí que cuente con entes tan repletos de contenido y tan... vivos.
January 11, 2015
We know the story, we might suspect the ending, but we love the originality of the scenes that is carrying the story to its end. Oh, and you will want to listen to the theme song over and over again.
½ January 7, 2015
It's a deliciously melancholic stew of love and loss.
½ December 28, 2014
There's a lot of style that threatens to dominate the picture and overshadow the interesting themes, but the heart on sleeve performances and touching drama overcome the slightly overbearing twee.
December 28, 2014
I just watched this movie based on the great reviews, but the one-dimensional, pointless female love interest just made me depressed. Melanie Laurent is too good for a role that was obviously written for a blow-up doll. In the scene where they meet and fall for each other, she has laryngitis and doesn't speak at all! The male lead doesn't even learn her name until he's already convinced she's the one. The dog in the movie had juicier lines; in fact, some of the girl's lines were just interpreting what the dog was thinking!! On top of that, every time she began an actual conversation with the main character, the dialogue would go mute and the soundtrack would take over. That is some bold fucking bullshit.