Behemoth, the Sea Monster Reviews

Luke B
June 18, 2008
Typical 50's horror monster movie. Using radiation and nuclaer testing as a device rather than a talking point it is a mix between the Godzilla films and King Kong. It tries to cram a lot into 80 minutes with the initial mystery, discovery, attack, plan, big attack and final confrontation. It certainly has big ambitions and shows brief glimpses of an empty London almost 50 years before 28 Days Later. The effects aren't too distracting or laughable but the constant use of singular shots is. The Brits are so frightfully British but luckily not to the point of stereotypical parody. Needless radiation rays that look like a cheap cartoon and some stupid actions (What's that goo there? May as well stick your hand in it) sometimes lower the credibility of this film but overall it's a pleasurable B movie.
Anthony V
July 1, 2008
Godzilla rip off does have a few bright spots.
Scott S ½ May 13, 2014
The Giant Behemoth (1959) -- [3.5] -- Just six years after directing "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms," director Eugene Lourie goes back to the well for another giant lizard movie, only this time the monster is radioactive. While production values are high for a low-budget British production (British B-movies put American B-movies to shame, really), the resulting film is a far less successful one. Willis O'Brien's stop-motion animation in the last half-hour are not as accomplished as Ray Harryhausen's work in "Fathoms". The action scenes are un-focused and the first forty minutes of scientific mumbo-jumbo is pretty intolerable.
Hayden L. Hayden L. May 13, 2014
A classic monster movie. many have misjudged its power the special effects as always in O'Brian's films are masterful.
Dan L ½ May 13, 2014
For a period monster movie, this is great! Enjoy if for laughs if you like old B-movies or appreciate how great we thought movies like this were when we were kids! I like it both ways!
Whitsbrain Whitsbrain May 13, 2014
I'm pretty sure that "The Giant Behemoth" is held in relatively high regard in classic Sci-Fi circles, but it didn't do much for me. It moved even slower than most of the other atomic-testing-creates-a-giant-monster flicks.
The beast is not an impressive one, even for this stop-motion animation fan. The cast was comical except for Gene Evans who was solid in the lead.
Jesse R ½ May 13, 2014
One must notice that during the 1950s there were so many movies that dealt with nuclear radiation, that brings out the beast in these creatures, and this film is no different. Just to see the graphics back then is worth watching this film. For me, it was an so-so film.