Being John Malkovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being John Malkovich Reviews

½ August 31, 2007
You have to appreciate that a screenplay so truly bizarre and original got made. The fact that it turned out as great as it did is even more incredible (there are a lot of directors who would have ruined the final execution so let's be grateful for Spike Jonze).
January 8, 2016
A utterly smart and creative fictional comedy. In the midst of a building were a half floor is rooming lots of absurd companies and a mystic portal. Watching the inside of John Malkovichs eyevision is pretty unique and intriguing, along side a great cast such as Cusake, Diaz and Keener this movie has good legs to carry this absurdness.
½ April 8, 2011
Classic absurdist comedy with one of Charlie Kaufman's best scripts.
½ July 24, 2011
Whatever Being John Malkovich is, it is created with an incredible amount of imagination, wit and depth. Some parts of it are hard to grasp and it is very entertaining, but also frightening to see so many willing to lose their identity to someone else.
December 7, 2015
Just an odd title isn't it. But i havent any idea what this movie is yet.
December 4, 2015
The ridiculousness of John Malkovich becoming a puppeteer and the self-deprecating humour involved in this was gold. The rest was weird, and kind of terrifying. I approve of John Cusack's long hair.
November 25, 2015
Being John Malkovich has to be one of the most original ideas in cinema history. Charlie Kaufman's script is humorous and witty, with a sense of satire that is as self-aware as it is smart. With stataements being made on the nature of celebrities and egos within the industry, Spike Jonze's introspective masterpiece is even more relevant in the modern day than the time it was released.
½ November 14, 2015
I had not seen something this inventive in a long time. Jonze handles the story marvelously, providing a great balance between the comedic, the sad and the bizarre. It may not be able to maintain its splendor through the entire run time, but it is a very entertaining and unique story!
November 13, 2015
It started off quite small-scale and poky, but blossomed into something ethereal and fantastic; I watched the last 40 minutes constantly smiling.
November 7, 2015
Spike Jonze's strikingly original, quirky and funny direction blended with Charlie Kaufman's intriguing and Imaginatively Great Script make up for this amazing tale of identity, personality and dispair.
September 24, 2015
I've softened up to this movie a little bit, giving it probably a 4/10, just one below average (which is pretty good for first film standards! It's about the same grade I give many of my favorite filmmakers' first film) but I realize that my problem with this movie isn't that it's not saying anything, it's that it is saying something so blatantly obvious that it beats you over the head with it (that being the desire to be someone else or belief that being someone else would make your life better). 15 minutes in, I get it. I understood it. And after that, I desperately wanted the movie to shut up, but instead it keeps going on and on, doing random artsy things for the sake of doing random artsy things and it just did not feel like a well-structured story nor did most of the movie justify itself. It would work much better as a short. With that said, some of the imagery is nice and the performances were all solid. It just felt very messy at times, but I don't consider it one of the worst movies I've ever seen, just one that people seems to love more than I.
½ October 12, 2015
Messed up and heavy. So strange and bizarre, but also funny and clever. Metaphors! Was a bit like a Woody Allen movie mixed with Eternal Sunshine. Something about identity and control? Not everyone will like it, but if you have good taste in movies, give this a watch...and rewatch.
½ April 8, 2015
"It's my head, Schwartz! It's my HEAD! I will see you in court!", enough said.
½ August 16, 2015
It's a great idea, brilliant twists and a happy ending! shows how much you don't know about what you know.
September 2, 2015
The way that Spike Jonze choosed to approach this theme is really thankfully strange, and so Being John Malkovich could be a refreshing and original addition to its genre, however its jokes are far to be funny, it has lack of interest and the script should be more solid than it is.
December 21, 2014
July 30, 2015
Outo ja hämmentävä elokuva, joka oli kuitenkin katsottava loppuun asti... (Suom. Elämäni John Malkovichina)
½ July 16, 2015
Being John Malkovich is a bizarre film, but in such a way that it is... engagingly strange. Complex, funny, well balanced, particularly in light of the many moods portrayed, well acted, well written, curiously whimsical, and certainly one of the most... ORIGINAL... pieces of cinema ever made.
June 22, 2015
Original, and above all, bizarre, "Being John Malkovich" is as deep as it is unusual.
May 9, 2012
2015 rewatch.
Watching this when I was younger and had no clue what to think of it... Now its an excellent movie with great writing and hilarious circumstances.