• R, 1 hr. 43 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Being Julia Reviews

Daniel P

April 14, 2014
Annette Bening is excellent, but I couldn't really invest in the movie overall.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

January 18, 2013
Pleasant evening watching this DVD. Annette Bening and Jeremy Irons are splendid. The costumes are wonderful. The weak link--and it's a pretty big crack because the whole story revolves around it--is that the story starts out with Julia saying she wants something new and different and then proceeds to revert to her younger self which is old hat. What she really wanted was to stop growing old. Then, in the end she discovers she doesn't mind being alone and growing old because she has other qualities. I guess the movie accomplished what it set out to do, but perhaps the whole theme is too nuanced for a movie. I definitely think the chemistry between Julia and her young paramour was ridiculously unbelievable.
Nicki M

January 17, 2008
This was okay. Not much of a story to it really, though. Wouldn't want to watch it again.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

June 4, 2006
Actually, I did not like the movie... But I was impressed by the acting that Bening has... Why she lose to Hilary Swank?
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

December 29, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"Being Julia" takes place in 1938 London where Julia Lambert(Annette Bening) is one of the top theatre actresses in the city.(She has a nasty habit of giving performances even when she is offstage.) Her husband, Michael(Jeremy Irons), owns the theatre where she performs. She is exhausted from performing and wants a break. Enter Tom Fennell(Shaun Evans), a young penniless American admirer who does wonders for her spirits.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]At its best, "Being Julia" is a predictable, slight look at the world of the theatre.(I would have liked to have seen more about the travails of an aging actress and the difficulty of getting worthwhile parts.) Then, it ends on one of the most corrosive notes in cinema history which ruins anything positive that might have happened before. This is a shame because Annette Bening does a wonderful job and there is a great supporting cast including Michael Gambon, Juliet Stevenson, Bruce Greenwood, Maury Chaykin and Rosemary Harris. But the less experienced actors, Shaun Evans and Lucy Punch, are simply overwhelmed. [/font]
neumdaddy
neumdaddy

February 22, 2005
The world was raising. Thunderous canyons shot from below to meet my footsteps. Forests rose and died behind my back. Birds evolved and turned to dust before me. The sky was fire and shadow, and it covered the sun like a closing fist. My hair was a wild brown spirit dancing in the tempest. My consciousness tore apart into a thousand different pieces, each shot itself like a rocketship to a thousand stars. The moon crashed into the earth. Humanity begged to be. Civilization threw its hands up. Existence screamed.

My body is an auditorium. Memory is music fading, acoustics wearing.

Starlight is taxed. Clouds rule the universe. The bridges I walk end before they begin. All the islands and planets are sinking. An air just above me is a melancholy fragrance, and yellowness stains reality. The madness of my flesh is annihilated. I am just a tangle of wires choking a soul, stranded in a breath and under the dead mountains. The edge is deep. I let go, and fall back into a flock of glimmering crystal angels. I dream that they are building me beautiful white wings.
John B

September 3, 2007
An underwhelming effort. Annette Bening has actually been better elsewhere. Don't believe the hype.
Alec B

October 1, 2007
The movie is ok nothing really special, but my God Annette Bening is fantastic she carries the entire film, in fact I think she should have won the oscar for the film, she didn't because the film was not widely known of and really. The final 20 minutes are essentially a showcase of a truly great actress. The final shot of the film is wonderful simply because Bening's face speaks volumes that words could never do.
William G

December 18, 2006
Bening casually commands on-/off-stage drama.
Sunil J

May 28, 2008
Annete Bening has never been more amazing and more controlling. Loved her performance in this.
January 8, 2014
What a waste of excellent performers such as Jeremy Iron and Annette Bening on mean-spirited comedy farce. The trifling core of the story is a bit of romp and subsequent ego bruising of an aging actress, who then exercised her talent on stage to humiliate an eager beaver young actress and her lover (who had a fling with the Bening actress).

All these excellent performance both subtle and comical, but wasted on such a spineless and silly story.
June 22, 2010
Annette Bening is so gorgeous and absolutely amazing in this. Julia Lambert was such an actress! And so is Ms. Bening.
dfreebyrd59
December 18, 2009
What a woman. She lived her life the way she wanted and did surprise me in the end. Loved her son and her older lover who really did care.
November 27, 2009
The morality and character development of this play were so bizarre and ambiguous. It was as if we were supposed to cheer for Julia when she behaved like a spoiled bitch. That aside, I enjoyed the first half more than the last. It was refreshing and delightful to see cougar Benning romping with young boys.
jscottcorley
June 30, 2009
In retrospect, Bening should not have lost the Oscar to that dude. Film has no 2nd act, but Bening's charismatic performance keeps you interested from start to finish.
September 10, 2008
This film is an anomilly because it displays the beautiful Benning acting her ...oh no ...age. It shows how everything in your life can be going right but the pizazz is gone. With youth comes reckless impulses, iressponsiblity, immatureness but one thing is for sure lust, is ageless. Whether Julia lusted Tom was not the question she lusted what he stood for. Bening is great. the film I thought was going to be more sinnister in the ending of Julia's plan but it was just crappy.
June 9, 2008
Annette Bening is astonishing! This is such an elegant, artistic portrait of a diva wannabe. Very nicely made...
memmybell
May 27, 2008
Annette Bening's performance is superb, and the supporting cast, especially Jeremy Irons is worth watching.
June 1, 2007
It's got great production design and an interesting story, and that's what saves it from totally sucking. God knows it ain't Bening.