Ben Reviews

October 4, 2012
This is supposed to be a creepy movie, but it's more funny than creepy. Plus, I really felt for the poor little boy who had no friends, it made Ben not seem as threatening as people think he is in the movie. When the police get involved in the end, it's also pretty funny. I had mixed feelings on this movie, but it was okay.
June 23, 2011
I haven't seen this movie in at least 20 years. But I still remember the evil man-killer rat!
January 17, 2013
Poorly made sequel to the original Willard. Lots of unintentional laughs. Was nominated for an Oscar!!
½ May 19, 2012
When you listen to Jackson's lilting lament to poor Ben I think few realize it's a child's song to his mutant, possibly psychic, intelligent, homicidal rat overlord. Ben is a sequel to Willard and sees a child befriend the menace that is Ben and become his protector. The movie is rather good for 70's animal horror and the use of rats is pretty believable and lacks the usual 'stuffed stand-in' that flattens the impact of most such flicks. Lacking any really epic scenes the plot does roll by and feels in many ways the middle of a trilogy that would not get completed.
February 24, 2010
The whole thing between Ben and Danny is quite sweet and the movie is nice. However, it's hardly comparable to "Willard" which was a drama developing into a horrer, while "Ben" features the rats befriending a little boy who help him with his school bullies etc.
Eventually, however, when the Rats become violent (like in "Willard"), the Rats are quite easily killed by police, unlike in "Willard", in which they win over the humans.
I certainly wish the film paid more attention to the horrer of the rats, rather than Ben and Danny snuggling in bed.

The movie still is certainly a good watch and if you like "Willard", you may like this film, depending on your range of taste.

Considering "Willard" was re-made in 2003, they should also re-make this forgotten sequel. Add more terror and suspense, cut down on the sweetness, and remake it with the same qualities of the "Willard" remake; I'd give it 100%