• PG-13, 1 hr. 52 min.

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Bend It Like Beckham Reviews

Graham W

September 9, 2012
A funny and uplifting tale about self discovery and acceptance. An enjoyable watch for the whole family, can be enjoyed by football fans and haters alike.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 28, 2007
A thoroughly enjoyable movie thats worth a watch! Nice to see us Brits have still got it!
Lewis C

June 30, 2007
Bend It Like Beckham is a fun movie about a British Indian girl named Jess (Parminder Nagra) who loves the game of soccer more than anything, but is encouraged by her traditional parents to abandon her passion and focus on other areas of her life, like finding a husband. She lies and defies them in order to keep playing, but her deceit causes friction at home, while a love triangle develops between Jess, her coach (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), and her best friend on the team (Keira Knightly).

It may not be an original story, but it's a fun one that's frequently joyous to watch, and the focus on Indian culture made it seem fresh to me. The acting and soccer match scenes are equally well done, and the themes of culture clash and following one's dreams will be easy to sympathize with for most people.

Bend It Like Beckham is just a good, solid, entertaining family flick to watch. The movie was clearly made with a respect for Punjabi culture and a genuine love for soccer. It's hard not to like; give it a try.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Amazing! One of my all time favourite films!
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 15, 2007
An Indian teenager Jess wants to play football like her hero Beckham. She plays for a local women's team in secret from her traditional family. A young Keira Knightley plays her friend.
3niR
3niR

June 17, 2010
Watched this long time ago and liked it. It was good.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Filmed in my manor. Shame it was shit!
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
this is a really good flick. whilst it initially comes off as a run of the mill chick flick, there is plenty in there for guys too, especially keira knightley who is looking gorgeous as always.
arashxak
arashxak

June 1, 2008
So many cliches here But the movie is fun & funny and the whole indian thing saves it from being pure cliche, Keira Knightley is annoying like always with her horrible acting
Alice S

April 27, 2008
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is the sexiest guy in Britain and he knows it. With those glassy eyes and pouty lips and carelessly perfect hair ARGH...Movie deftly tackles themes of intolerance and acceptance in realms of culture, sexual orientation, and gender roles. More times I watch it though, the more formulaic I think the plot is - Jess sneaks out, gets caught, sneaks out, gets caught, et cetera. Keira makes me cringe.
Lanning :

March 24, 2006
03/08/08 Update: Just watched this again for the first time in, apparently, two years. This is really well done. Nagra is, with all sincerity, brilliant, and Anupam Kher as her father, Mr. Bhamra, is worthy of a supporting Oscar nomination. I rarely shed a tear when I watch movies, but I shed more than a few as this one was coming to an end. I'm bumping this up to five stars and adding it to my Top 100 list right now. 03/04/06: Dreaded seeing this, but friends were insistent. What a wonderful movie! I'll never be the world's biggest soccer fan, and fortunately this had less to do with soccer and more to do with race and family issues. Parminder Nagra must do more movies. Keira Knightley is leaving her behind -- in terms of number of movies cranked out, not in terms of talented performances.
Michael S

March 1, 2007
One of the great Girl-power movies.
Alexander W

January 27, 2008
Mr Beckham ought to be proud to have his name on such a great film.
garyX
garyX

February 20, 2007
Yet another of the endless and totally interchangable british feelgood comedies. Switch the football element for music, you've got The Commitments. Switch it for ballet, you've got Billy Elliot. Switch it for stripping, you've got The Full Monty etc etc etc. Not awful by any means, but will a british scriptwriter PLEASE come up with a new idea??
Rachel F

May 19, 2007
I love this movie. Keira Knightley's first and one of her best.
Sophie B

March 18, 2007
Really good this is a good feel good film!
Ross C

March 11, 2007
Heart warming British story of an Indian
girl overcoming opposition to play footy.
deano
deano

March 1, 2007
Brightest and funniest of two talented girls who aspire to soccer (football) greatness against their parents' wishes. This comedy film delivers a belly full of feel-good laughs.
Tim B

February 14, 2007
Wildly popular. I don't see it.
Megan S