Charlton Heston's Most Memorable Performances

Summary

With his classically chiseled looks and basso profundo speaking voice, Charlton Heston was an icon of old-school Hollywood. In remembrance of Heston, Rotten Tomatoes has compiled a short list of some of Heston's most famous and memorable performances. Back to Article

Comments

The Great One

A Z

Bowling for Columbine...the end

Apr 7 - 01:48 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

Sadly, I agree. The distain and arrogance he displayed in Bowling for Columbine and his moronic self righteous defence of the NRA will overshadow any good he may have done in his life including his vocal support for Martin Luther King. I have The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur and Planet of the Apes and Columbine was the only movie in his storied career in which he didn't overact. Despite how one might have felt about Michael Moore's tactics, no one can deny that in life Charlton Heston was his own worse enemy.

Apr 7 - 02:09 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

Apr 7 - 02:09 PM

salsafish

halibut halibut

Lets talk movies, not politics. Not everyone who likes movies agrees with either of our political views.

Apr 7 - 03:05 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Thank you salsafish.

Now that being said, he is one of the greats and people must show him some respect. He's more of an actor than any of the so called "actors" these days will ever be. Ben Her gets absolutely no respect. I think it barely broke the AFI 100 top films. It's easily top 20.

You will be remembered.

Apr 7 - 03:13 PM

glotris173

John O'Reilly

Heston knew he would be a target for taking a stand in what he believed in, and yet he did it anyway. You need to respect that even if you disagree with him.

For an interesting speech of his, check this out:

Apr 7 - 03:34 PM

lightrenegade

Dinah Perez

So did Hitler.

Apr 7 - 05:16 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Heston didn't just support "conservative" causes.

Ben-Hur used to be very highly regarded, and then it started some kind of tail dive.

I only have seen Charlton Heston the person with his "From my cold dead hands" NRA speech, and, as others have mentioned, Bowling for Columbine(Also, I was a bit annoyed with Moore. If I didn't like Heston before the film, I at least felt sorry for him after it.)

Of his films, I'll remember "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!. . . PEOPLE!" Better freak out overacting than Shatner. Plus that film is hilarious given the right mood.

"Damn Dirty Ape" is a close second.

Apr 7 - 03:54 PM

axebox

Ethan Tabor

Actually, Heston's interview was heavily edited by the beloved Michael Moore who used dodgy tactics and deceit to get the response he was looking for from Heston.

I respect Heston for standing up for a belief that dates far into the beginnings of our American culture. The right to arms is our right as Americans. Fortunately, we recognize that it's out of date - our forefathers never thought that fully automatic machine guns could be invented, let alone held in the palm of a single hand.

So, I think Heston was just living in the past slightly, but definitely NOT a distant past.

If you think outlawed guns work in other countries (such as Japan), look at Canada. Guns are legal there, but the deaths are far lower than in America. Our problems with gun violence in america are not from guns but the people firing them and their teachers.

Apr 7 - 04:00 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

Sorry, but guns aren't legal in Canada in the way they are in the U.S. Every gun must be registered and you must have a license to even own one. Hunting rifle are easy to have if you have a hunting license. Hand gun are really hard to have. You cannot carry it except in a locked case. And you must be part of a firing club to have a semi-automatic. And they are hard to have. I know that because I'm a canadian.

As for Charlton Heston Himself, I love Ben-hur, like the Ten Commadments and pretty liked Soylent Green

Apr 7 - 05:14 PM

cdubbs2121

collin watts

i think people really need to stop believing the michael moore propaganda machine and realize he was heavily editing the footage as well as combining footage from different NRA events. Its also funny he was picking on an 80 year man with alzheimers but believe everything michael moore says cause hes such a great american citizen...anyway RIP Heston...planet of the apes4 tha win

Apr 7 - 04:33 PM

Thundaar

Paul Fairbrother

Bah. No offense, but it is ridiculous to think anything he did with the conservative issues or the NRA (which I am no supporter of) will outshine anything he did on film. Please. Probably only to those who who follow lockstep with that form of political thinking and parrot those who didn't like his stance on guns. He also marched on Washington in support of Martin Luther King before many had the guts to stand up for what was right. Look at what he really stood for instead of this myopic view of him based on his stance on guns.

As for films, Ben Hur, the Planet of the Ape movies, Ten Commandments, Soylent Green, Touch of Evil - these are great films and his performances helped to make these films what they are. He was a film icon.

Apr 7 - 04:40 PM

darth_chef

Brett Vainavicz

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!. . . PEOPLE!"

Apr 7 - 04:47 PM

collex

Alex D.B.

Apr 7 - 05:14 PM

lightrenegade

Dinah Perez

So did Hitler.

Apr 7 - 05:16 PM

ilovemygoatee

Trent Wood

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And the only thing separating America from everyone else is the fact that we can own guns. I won't ever buy a gun but it has been our right since before the Revolutionary War.

Heston was an amazing actor, made great movies. So stop caring about politics or his life. Heck I could complain that Martin Luther King was a blatant adulterer and everyone would call me a racist but Heston supports something in our constitution and every hates him. What is wrong with America.

Apr 7 - 05:27 PM

theginsengtree

Nicolaas van Oss

I'm surprised Bowling For Columbine isn't in here.

Apr 7 - 06:06 PM

CallMeBakes

Colin Baker

Leave it to the ignorant liberals to try and stain a great man's long and rewarding career. Michael Moore's documentary is so manipulative and deceitful it's almost funny to watch. Only the easily-fooled buy into Moore's stuff.
Getting away from the clearly defined 2nd amendment allowing all Americans to own guns, Heston's career was magnificent. He has defined numerous iconic roles. He is a legend. End of story.

Apr 7 - 06:09 PM

ghostbear91

Mitch Hansch

Get your paws off me you damn dirty liberals!!!!
R.I.P. to a legend.

Apr 7 - 07:00 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

The clip from Waynes World just made my day, thank you RT.

Apr 7 - 08:11 PM

Jimbo93

Conor Holt

Ben Hur is a really great epic, and Planet of the Apes is a fantastic science fiction film and surpisingly hilarious tonge in cheek comedy as well.

RIP Charlton Heston
May your iconic lines live on forever

Apr 7 - 08:16 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

seriously, a true legend, Charlton Heston will be sorely missed.

Hey, he had views that some may disagree with but overall this was indeed a

fine man and an equally fine actor. I mean when your resume has Ben Hur (one

of the most oscar awarded films ever), The Ten Commandments, Planet of the

Apes you are an indispurable legend in my book. And even though I agree with

some of what Moore says, he showed no class in how he took advantaged of an

old Alzheimer disabled individual. I will always respect that man and i can't

always say that about moore. Still, i hope for all those sad, stupid haters

who wish to insult this desceased legend... may the same treatment be used

towards you when you pass away because those who disrespect the dearly

aparted don't deserve respect. R.I.P. Charlton Heston

Apr 7 - 09:38 PM

FilmBulk

jesus deloss

Next to John Wayne Mr. Heston is the most celebrated and recognized actor in the universe. He was a great man and a terrific actor and one that will live with us forever through his marvelous films. His legacy is his life which he lived with grace and dignity. RIP Chuck Heston.

Apr 7 - 10:30 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast