20% The Identical Sep 05

Benny & Joon Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
quirky, touching, funny, heartfelt, sentimental, sweet, whimsical, and uplifting. All of these words are the perfect ones to use when describing this very likable, brilliantly acted, and charming movie. The performances all around are unbelievably amazing, and the supporting cast (which is also to be commended), are just as great as the main cast.

The plot follows a small-town car repair shop owner who is trying to live a normal life. This isn't easy since he's got to take care of his mentally ill sister, Things get more complicated when, after losing a bet, he has to take in the eccentric cousin of one of his friends as a roommate.

The film may be a tad too sappy and whimsical at times, but honestly, it's hard to really hate this film. The main performances are great, there's numerous appearances by several well known actors, and the film just makes you feel really good. Give it a look. It's a real gem.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 17, 2007
Fun and delightful odd-ball comedy, featuring the always brilliant Johnny Depp, whose character in this story is no less memorable than all those he has come to play after this movie was made. And with "If I could walk 500 miles" as both the intro and outro song, you just can't go wrong.
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 24, 2011
Joon: Don't underestimate the mentally ill. We know how to count.

Benny and Joon is basically a light comedy that turns into a drama in the last  third. It's an odd movie to say the least and the actors really pulled their characters off well. I like that the movie didn't over exaggerate the mental disability of Joon. She speaks normal and seems for the most part normal; that is until she's standing in the middle of the street, with a snorkeling mask on and holding a ping pong paddle, while stopping traffic from moving. But hey, no ones perfect.

Joon is played really well by Mary Stuart Masterson. Her character is a mentally ill and very quirky girl who is taken care of by her brother Benny(Aiden Quinn). Benny's life, for the most part, is totally controlled by his sister. He has to watch her every move and when he isn't with her; he has to worry about what she is doing. Thats how is life is until Sam comes to live with them after Joon losses a pot at poker. Sam is played by the always great Johnny Depp, who is as good as ever here. He plays another character who is very whimsical and seems a little more mentally ill then Joon. He loves old movies and walks around like he's Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin.

While I don't consider this movie to be spectacular, it is a pretty good romantic comedy. In the end it turns out to be quite touching, something that the romantic comedies of today lack. This isn't a straight romantic comedy though, as it doesn't just focus on the love life between Joon and Sam, but also on the love between a brother and a sister. Benny and Joon is a good watch for sure.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I think this movie is okay, but I know Depp fans out there just love it. If you ask me, this movie was made to showcase how cute and funny Depp could be, and of course his Chaplin impersonation. Other than that, there's no reason for it really.
Aaron N

November 14, 2006
Sam: I'm Sam.
Benny: So I hear. I'm Benny.
Sam: With an 'n'?
Benny: Yea two of 'em. This is Joon.
Sam: With an 'n'?
Joon: One. You're out of your tree.
Sam: It's not my tree.
erika250
erika250

May 4, 2011
Benny & Joon is about mentally unstable women Joon (Mary Masterson) who does anything she wants and over time drives her brother Benny (Aidan Quinn) and what ever house keeper he hires to look after her. One day a Sam (Johnny depp) moves in and his way of acting like a clown wins Joon over. Will Benny let them stay together or will he sent Sam away?
Pros
Good acting and plot.
This film is really funny.
Johnny depp keep me laughing the whole time.
If you like a really funny film you should give this a try.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 16, 2010
This film was worth watching because I LOVE vaudeville physical comedy and Johnny Depp doing it?! Oh dear. Best thing ever. Once more I was struck by how YOUNG Johnny Depp is and the lack of make up and costumes on him and his face. Very cute, very sweet. Really liked it!
Conner R

November 19, 2009
I enjoyed this movie for having such a kooky atmosphere to it. Johnny Depp was really entertaining and funny. It's a nice fluff movie, with a positive message about love. While it's not perfect, it doesn't claim to be. It's a harmless romantic comedy.
KJ P

February 15, 2010
Very funny and touching, again Johnny Depp is really weird, but he brings much more enjoyment to the story!
Eric S

January 20, 2010
Touching film of a mentally unstable young woman(Mary Stuart Masterson) who lives with her overprotective older brother. A quirky young man(Johnny Depp) obsessed with silent screen star Charlie Chaplin moves in as a housekeeper, and essentially keeps more than the house in livable condition. Depp's duplication of the gags by Chaplin are quite impressive, and gives the film a valuable touch of innocence which is so lost in our society.
A clever film that shows how wrong judgement can be, and how good things may come from the most unconventional circumstances.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
BEAUTIFULL Movie. Benny and Joon a lovely tale. Great perfomance by Johnny Depp.
Red L

April 24, 2007
I enjoyed this movie. It is a complicated movie about relationships and mental illness. It gives the feeling of hope even if you are slightly different.

I've always enjoyed Mary Stuart Masterson's acting and this movie confirmed that.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
if not for johnny depp, this movie would have failed dismally. however, he was there, so it didn't
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 23, 2007
Jonny Depp starts out insane and as the film goes on gets much more normal. Sweet story though.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
Johnny Depp is very entertaining in this film, I just love the bread rolls scene. Funny film with a little serious side it as well.

VERDICT: Easy watching, laughed out loud a few times.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Johnny always plays quirky characters. Sweet movie.
Lafe F

July 5, 2007
A stranger named Benny (Johnny Depp) comes to a small town, and cheers things up for Joon (Mary Stuart Masterson) and her older brother (Aidan Quinn). There's fun and frolic. But Joon has emotional problems, causing some concerns. There are good times and sad times. I remember the opening theme song The Proclaimers "I Would Walk Five Hundred Miles". It's very small town America, and a light-hearted romantic comedy.
Christopher M

May 13, 2007
Adorable film about a brother living with and dealing with his mentally ill sister, and then the eccentric Sam, played wonderfully by Johnny Depp, comes along and things change. Although this is definitely one of those intentionally "feelgood" movies with conveniently played music, etc - I still highly enjoyed it. Aidan Quinn played the straight man dealing with two eccentrics quite well, and I found Mary Stuart Masterson's performance to be actually outstanding, her portrayal of a pent up young woman with mild mental illness was extremely well done and believable. Of course, Johnny Depp serves largely as the heart of the movie, as he and Joon fall in love. This would be a really good family or date movie I'd imagine, it is very "feelgood", but in a largely genuine way, and I appreciated that.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 9, 2007
not as good as many said it would be, sort of cooky
Jason S