Berlin Calling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Berlin Calling Reviews

September 4, 2012
take 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest' and 'trainspotting' and 'human traffic'. mix. press play. not a bad cocktail of a movie. an entertaining, if not especially deep, watch for a night in hiding from the rain. warning: you'll want to shake your rump and go out partying after viewing. so get your dance shoes ready...
½ May 17, 2015
Watch it if you live in Berlin :)
½ September 1, 2014
Interesting take on the Berlin underground scene with a fine performance from DJ Paul Kalkbrenner.
February 1, 2014
Titten, Techno und Trompeten
May 15, 2013
J'ai eu connaissance de ce film grace a l'excellent concert du frere de l'acteur qui a mixé aux "nuits sonores 2013". Il m'a donné envie d'en savoir plus sur la famille Kalbrenner. La B.O est donc le point fort du film.
½ March 9, 2013
An amazing soundtrack, of one of the most important djs of the world, for a normal movie.
½ February 9, 2013
?? ???? ??? ?? OST ???????????..
September 4, 2012
ray
½ August 26, 2012
Paul Kalkbrenner is one of my favourite DJs and he not also scored this little movie but also played the main character Ickarus, whose life and career is threatened by drug-abuse and his excessive lifestyle.
Soon, after a serious overdose he's transferred into a rehab clinic and from thereone the film follows the path of a plethora of other movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for example.

Kalkbrenner is no Jack Nicholson though, and as many other musicians turned actor his acting is flawed but he has undeniable talent and screen presence. He even outplayed some of the professional actors in supporting roles like Rita Lengyel who plays his girlfriend/manager.
As much as Kalkbrenner is no Nicholson, Berlin Calling is no OFOTCN but it has great music and depicts the DJ scene and nightlife of Berlin with sincere honesty.

It condemns drug abuse and shows what it leads to (although some of the clinic scenes are a bit manipulative) and considering the huge following within the club scene and especially the youth it has some educational value as well (Ickarus only reestablishes himself in the music scene when he becomes sober again and dedicates his life to music instead of drugs)

I don't know if this little flick even got a release in other markets than the German-speaking countries but for all fans of electronic music, and some more, this will most likely entertain you.

PS: Noone beats German directors when it comes to club scenes (or raves for that matter). They apply a certain style which not even polished music video directors can beat.
½ July 17, 2012
the soundtrack is great
February 10, 2012
It's a well-worn storyline, and the dialogue is frequently simplistic, but there's still plenty to like in this tragi-comic tale. Definitely worth a look if you're a seasoned clubbing enthusiast, and/or you're a fan of Berlin. However, given the title, there's not all that much that makes this film Berlin specific.
Paul Kalkbrenner gives a very good performance as a completely plausible DJ.
I'm not sure what the director's message is abut drugs - is it anti-everything, recreational and prescription alike?
½ December 25, 2011
I saw it in German without subtitles and only got a general understanding. But despite that I really enjoyed watching it. I might watch it again with subtitles
½ October 19, 2011
A Movie like a drug-fueled party night: starts off great, loses focus, gets a little boring until the memory just fades...
October 25, 2011
I had some troubles to connect with the characters. I wasn´t rooting for them. besides of that it was all too pretty and happy in the end, overall I had the feeling to just watch a pretty a long commercial for paul kalkbrenners records, the story-elements were rushed and needed more explenation - as for the acting, kalkbrenner was good, wonder how much of his past was used for the script. corina harfouch did her best nurse ratched-impression. rita lengyel was the one who stood out. it was a mix between one flew over the cuckoo´s nest and permanent midnight.
½ February 27, 2011
A great album packed in simple movie. Paul Kalkbrenner's performance was suprisingly great.
½ March 16, 2011
I knew literally nothing about this film before watching it, aside from the fact the soundtrack was meant to be awesome, 'minimalist techno' I would call it, but damn good all the same. The plot is unusual but intriguing and is far from an advert for casual drug use. Throw in some lesbian action and some surreal comedy scenes in a psych ward and you have a winner in my book. This one is German subbed but definitely worth it if you've ever felt a buzz on the d floor ;) Now I'm off to download the soundtrack!
½ March 14, 2011
Wieder mal ein Lichtblick im deutschen (Musik)Film. Paul Kalkbrenner debütiert mit einem gelungenem Auftritt, dem seine Kollegen teils mehr (Megan Gay), teils weniger (Corinna Harfouch) nacheifern. Die Geschichte könnte fast aus der Feder von Aronofsky sein: Ein Randgenre und seine Schattenseiten. Zu der guten Story gesellt sich ein brillianter Schnitt. Der Film macht Spaß!
February 19, 2011
The soundtrack deserves 5 stars. The film not more than 2.