47% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg Of The King Reviews

George M

March 6, 2013
A failure considering the original source, which is one of the best manga -no, comics- ever created despite its being uneven. The film fails on many levels to capture the wonderful rhythm and flow of the manga and the innovative panels are replicated without any creativity in the transition to the filmic medium. The emphasis on dramatic events seems also less succesful here and full of cliches taken of generic shounen/seinen anime. I found the music to be quite inappropriate too.
Luke E

September 23, 2012
Beserk: The Egg of the King is a wild, bloody, facinating and brilliant Dark Fantasy film based on a best selling Manga of the same name. Set in a Medieval Europe inspired fantasy world, It follows Guts; a Conan the Barbarian like warrior hungry for any bloodthirsty challenge, he soon meets Griffith, who leads a band of mercenaries and has great ambition, But does this lead to some deadly consequences. The plot follows their activities and relations with others across a great land and kingdoms fighting for a good cause and what meaning do they get out of it. The animation is fantastic with spectacular battles and great mix of CGI to go with it. The Characters have so much purpose in the story it just facinating to know where they go and what they do. On a down side its quite short at 75 mins, but its a great start for whats to come in future enteries. Even if your not familiar with this Series this could be the perfect introduction to the bloody, violent and Epic world of Bersek.
June 23, 2014
Beautiful animation, epic in its lines and dynamism. Good for taking the attention away from the fact that the plot and story development is pretty average when it comes to manga/anime tropes and narrative.
Fun to watch, but I'm inclined to say everything but the animation is overhyped.
May 16, 2014
Very good first attempt at trying to adapt the whole manga, yes there are indeed some things left out and it does seem to be on a very fast pace but that doesn't really seem like a bad thing or that bad enough to be a negative against it. The movies are the movies and the manga and the anime are their respective things too. Judging it on it's own it was a very well done movie and the animation style didn't really annoy me at all, after awhile it became very natural and I never thought about it again. A complaint I do have is that if you aren't already aware of the story of Berserk the flashback sequences aren't going to make the most sense. The fact that they got pretty much all the original voice cast back is also something I like very much and it is still quite amazing that they managed to do that. I just wish it was longer! I couldn't really think about reviewing it while I was watching it, it just felt like I was re-visiting and old friend and just enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to watching the other two and experiencing one of my favorite series in a new-ish light.
April 3, 2013
This movie didn't gone far from the series or has made anything new to look forward to. It would be more awesome if they took some from the manga storyline. Nonetheless, with CG and all, it was amazing to see those brutal fights of Gutz come to life. A well-deserved adrenaline rush for any action junkie.
George M

March 6, 2013
February 18, 2013
A decent movie, but getting "decent" from one of the greatest work of literature ever written means it was done horribly.

Best main theme ever.
January 25, 2013
Animation is weird but the action is gruesome and the story is still fantastic so bear with it.
D J.
January 24, 2013
I knew that this movie is going to only disappoint me when Guts asks Griffith "Does that mean you want me that way?". Yes. This movie has implications towards homosexuality. Not even the absence of Griffith's naked butt can wipe that away. The apple has really fallen far from its tree. Actually, it has fallen so far that from its rotten core a new appletree has grown. A little wonky, short and bearing only few fruits that aren't even that good, only mediocre.

The character's animation is a freaking disgrace. The original series' strongpoints, characters' outlooks and their expressions, are both missing from the film. Let's take an example. In the original series, when Griffith smiles for Julius after getting slapped by the latter one is a very sinister and subtle scene. It is a moment when the character portrays humility on the outside, still looking more frightening and unpredictable than ever before. It tells the audience that Griffith is not threatened by this man because he has always been more superior than him - he was destined to be a king. And he will destroy any obstacle there may be lying in front of the throne. In the movie this very important scene is played like it didn't have any value at all. Griffith looks like a scumbag who couldn't take a hint and Julius shrugs him off like a tool Griffith looks like in the movie. What a letdown.

Pacing is another thing that this movie lacks. A good example is the assassination attempt. After Griffith has regained his posture Casca asks him to remove his armor to see if there is any wounds from the arrow, Griffith acts like he has the attention span of 4-year old and he ignores Casca, turning his head to the side to find Julius looking at him horseback. These things happen so fast that the audience cannot really grasp what's happening. The movie has a lot of moments like this, due to the insane idea of ramming several episodes into one movie, makes me wonder if it really was worth it. To an old fan, watching this movie was like watching the series with triple speed. Giving some time for reactions, even in animation, is important.

Because of this movie is clearly taking out all the bad aspects of the original series rather than following the old saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it", I really don't want to see the remaining two movies, especially since the original series' ending is something that an unskilled movie maker should never touch.

One thing that is good is the locations and landscapes. Water flow looks fantastically realistic and the scene of Guts cutting a leaf with his sword is a nice detail. Movie looks kind of good, if the characters are counted out.

In conclusion, The Egg Of The King is a weak attempt at film adaptation of a well-written, well-executed anime. It has some good aspects, but a lot of bad ones. If you consider yourself a fan of the anime series, do not watch this unless you want to cringe with disgust. And you who watched this movie but hasn't watched the original series, do so. It will give you much more depth about the characters and it looks better, even though it was made 15 years ago.

On the positive side, I'm glad the original soundtrack (made by the great Susumu Hirasawa) wasn't featured.
January 7, 2013
An action packed start to the first of three feature films detailing the rise of the "Band of the Hawk". The Egg of The King does justice to the cult classic.
December 10, 2012
Brilliant and beautiful. This first film is bittersweet for those who know what the future holds for the Band of the Hawk. My only complaint is that a few heartfelt moments with characters like Judeau and Pippin were left out.
Luke E