19% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Besieged Reviews

February 12, 2013
A tad too stretched for my liking but done well in terms of cinematic technicalities...
May 11, 2012
About as surreal an experience any asylum-seeker could find, but not one of Bertolucci's best films which is slow and staid.
samangiraud
September 24, 2011
i love the color composition in this movie and the focus on the hands reflecting the emotions of the people. a dramatic bertolucci movie.
October 18, 2007
very underated bertolucci
December 29, 2010
Dec 2010 (with Kaveh and Setareh) - This was a very good romantic movie and it got better and better as it progressed. The music is very good and integrates so well with the story. Also I couldn't be happier with the ending. The suspense is appropriate and I like the fact that there has been a careful choice to avoid lengthening the ending. I was a bit unhappy with English chosen as the main language and I also thought the beginning was a bit slow and made it easy to get distracted.
2natures
August 26, 2007
A finely nuanced and strangely magnetic little character study.
btvsf18
May 10, 2010
I thought it was a beautiful love story. For a man to go to that extent for love is unheard of. It was a enchanting story and once again David Thewlis was incredible.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

July 24, 2009
Besieged was an useless combination of political and romantic drama, wandering back and forth between the two leads that never really had reached each other. The movie had an interesting beginning with the imprisonment of Shandurai's husband, but the story gradually fell apart after that. There was no emotional force driving the events in the movie and there was never any satisfying realization of Shandurai's sadness. It was fine performance by Thandie Newton in the lead, but Bertolucci's lack to balance out the two halves of the story, stopped the characters from reaching their full potential, and so we could not seen a fascinating drama. Too bad.
MovieGuruDude72
April 14, 2008
When your movie's biggest buzz surrounds a well-known actress in the buff you KNOW there's something wrong with the script. Yes, Thandie Newton did a nude scene in this movie. She's a fantastic actress, but they wasted her talents in trade for seeing her skin. Never a good trade.
pamela s.
October 29, 2009
The film seduced me against my better judgment. Bertolucci and his male protaganist, Mr.Kinsey, conjour up imaginary constructs of female protaganist Shandurai. She is shrouded in the stereotypical oranges, browns and greens of a generic Africa; eroticized through associations of exquisite musical sequences of Malian (?) singer, J.C. Ojwang; and venerated, as the curves of her flesh are captured in the gaze of the camera. Nonetheless, moments of potential depth stumble into the story. Sadly, though, they never stand on their own. Shandurai dreams of her home town, and tearing down a political poster; on it the face of the military leader responsible for her husband?s abduction, is transposed with that of Mr.Kinsey. Despite the fact that we are made to take lust for love in this tale of stolen glances, I found myself inextricably drawn in.
ChGeor9
October 7, 2009
Wish more character depth had been shown.
Mike T

May 24, 2007
A graceful, visually exquisite piece that (on a second watch) works for me despite its flaws. The languid nature of the narrative is obviously a detractor as far as audience connection goes, but it works to establish an enigmatic presence for both of the main characters. The story has a poetic sensibility that allows us to discard some of our expectations as to what the movie is going to deliver. David Thewlis is brilliant, as always, and Thandie Newton is very strong too. That's saying a lot, since the actors have very little dialogue to establish their performances with. Watch it once, think about it, and then watch it again.
August 19, 2009
beleza, profundidade e ótima atuação =) david thewlis como sempre um destaque.
sharimaddox
August 9, 2009
Very surreal film about the amazing ways one can learn to love.
shesdownbytheriver

September 3, 2008
the best movie maybe
Rhady N

August 13, 2008
Always marvelous to watch, Thandie Newton is the main attraction, but there are plenty of other beauties in Bertollucci's delicate portrait of a woman estranged from her culture.
July 22, 2008
really good, passionated and romance, and strugle and a weird pianist