Best in Show Reviews

½ September 27, 2015
I know I have seen it before, and we just watched it again. The dogs are the stars! and the actors deliver some great dead-pan zingers.
½ September 18, 2015
This mockumentary gets my vote for 'Best in Show'. Watch it yesterday.
November 26, 2014
Everybody involved in Best in Show is Meisner-ing (choosing whatever comes up in the moment) with zero shame, and for a sorta-mockumentary about five different families competing in a Westminster-esque dog show, that is for the better. The characters don't have strong motives for going to the dog show. For most of them, they just love their dog and want to see how well their dog can succeed. One exception in this cast is Christy (Jane Lynch), a trainer hired by mega-rich-thanks-to-marrying-a-dying-widowed-billionaire Sherri Ann (Jennifer Coolidge) to win the trophy at every annual dog show. Since she has a strong motive, some of her scenes feel relatively scripted, but they aren't noticeably out of place.

As for the other characters, the cast is quite the heterogeneous mixture. There's Gerry and Cookie Fleck (Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara), a husband with two left feet -- and I really mean it -- and a wife with an extensive sexual history before meeting Gerry. Hamilton and Meg Swan (Michael Hitchcock and Parker Posey) are snobbish, self-entitled city dwellers who thrive on having everything run exactly as they envision, down to trashing a pet store owner for not owning the squeaky bumblebee toy that the couple had lost. John Michael Higgins and Michael McKean play homosexual lovers Scott and Stefan, two hair stylists from NYC whose loving interactions may be the most interesting thing going on with them. (There's one more person, but I'll mention him later.) In terms of pacing, everybody shared equal screen time, with small diversions in the dog show with Fred Willard as a too-raunchy-for-real-TV commentator. Mind you, everybody plays their roles with full conviction, and as a film chock full of character work, good on all of the actors for churning enough material to reach the 90-minute mark. New jokes are fully welcome, like the sympathetic hotel manager (Ed Begley Jr) who offers the Flecks the best hotel room that no money can buy, right next to the kitchen. After a while, however, the recurring jokes and go-to characteristic-based laughs wear thin.

I acknowledge now that the jokes were wearing thin, but at the time, I kid you not that I was sincerely rooting for somebody to win. My heart personally melted for the final character, a fly-fisher named Harlan (Christopher Guest, also director and "writer") whose relationship with his bloodhound was so unconventionally precious that I feared to see him possibly lose when the champion was to be announced. I didn't want to see anybody lose though, not even the yuppie Swans. That's where the actors' work truly prevailed. Everybody cared very much about their dogs being the champions, and that passion weaved a strong thread through otherwise disjointed, but mostly very funny character scenes. I'm curious what Waiting for Guffman is like.
June 5, 2015
Another phenomenal classic I happened upon on Uverse recently. Such an amazing ensemble and all of them brought their A game to these eclectic characters. If you're able to appreciate more sophisticated humor above the level of basic dick and fart jokes, then I'd recommend checking this out if you haven't seen it before. Still hilarious 15 years later.
½ May 27, 2015
Quirky dry comedy that's quality is in it's actors though the script is fine also.
½ February 14, 2010
A ridiculous mockumentary. There are a couple funny parts, but much of it is lame and boring. It has only gotten worse over time. (First viewing - Teen years)
½ May 17, 2015
A very funny movie, but I thought the ending was a bit weak.
May 15, 2015
Still holds up as one of the best mockumentaries of all time. Amazing comedic acting and writing!
½ September 1, 2014
Best In Show is an underrated, often forgotten gem in the comedy genre. Intelligent, witty, faux-documentary that is well written, well acted, and does a fantastic job of developing a multitude of characters. 5 diverse mini-stories that come together in one long finale. Dodgeball (another underrated movie) took a lot of its structure from this film. Best mocumentary since This Is Spinal Tap.

Grade = 8.5/10
July 15, 2014
This is the favorite Christopher Guest film of many fans and I can see why. Everyone in the troupe is in tip-top form, although none of that matters a whole lot because Fred Willard takes this movie over in a manner I don't think I've ever seen in a comedy. I was lukewarm on the film until this happened; by the end I loved it. There should be a large exhibit in a museum of comedy dedicated to what Fred Willard (aided excellently by Jim Piddock's long-suffering cohost) has managed to do here. Willard has embodied the relentlessly asinine in a way which becomes some sort of historic human accomplishment, like the Mona Lisa or Michelangelo's David of stupidity. I doubt there has ever been anything like it in movie history, and if there ever is again, it will be done by Fred Willard.
June 13, 2013
some of the best comedic performances i've ever seen.
September 11, 2007
Dull and not funny, the dogs were the only interesting part in this one
November 5, 2014
5/5 for witty/goofy comedy!
½ September 11, 2007
I thought this would be as good as This is Spinal Tap, and I was dead wrong. This movie is as much fun as watching a dog show, especially when you have no interest in dog shows. The only redeeming grace that stopped this from being a total train wreck was Fred Willard and Parker Posey. Everything else was so tedious.
½ August 29, 2014
A hilarious movie with a great script and ensemble. Posey and Hitchcock steal the show though. O'Hara, Willard, Levy, Coolidge, Lynch, and Guest are outstanding as well
August 20, 2014
Dog shows are ripe for comedic picking, and Guest and his crew of cohorts leave no stone unturned in what is possibly their most accessible and widely hilarious mockumentary. Special recognition to Fred Willard for stealing the show as the dim-witted and over-excited announcer.
½ July 31, 2014
NOT a funny movie. moronic and slow
July 28, 2014
This is one Quirky riot of a mockumentary about a gaggle of fanatical dog show participants and their pedigreed poches.Just a great laugh a minute satire that can be viewed 100 times without becoming dog eared.
November 30, 2009
Ok movie but it is about a dog show. Not much there
May 9, 2014
as a dog breeder who also goes to dog shows, this is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. We were laughing so hard in the parking lot after the movie that we could not drive for over 1/2 an hour. The people with the Boarder Terriers were classic and I always wanted to subscribe to "Amercian Bitch Magazine".