20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas Reviews

AJ V

December 4, 2012
This musical might not have the best songs in the world, and doesn't show it's subject matter in a believable or realistic light, but it sure is fun and entertaining. Reynolds and Parton are a fantastic couple onscreen, as surprising as it sounds. The rest of the cast is made up of funny people and great dancers. The ending was the best part for me, it was the most realistic part of the movie and very emotional.
Spencer S

October 15, 2012
First off, this film is in no way perfect. It's actually quite mind boggling if you watch it, because you sincerely wonder what the thought process was behind making this film. It isn't a bad concept or even a less than entertaining one, but it's just so haphazard and deliberately strange that to put it on the big screen doesn't make any sense, to me at least. This film pulled in the most money at the box office for a musical in the eighties, and led to an Oscar nomination for Charles Durning as the Texan Governor. It features the incomparable voice of Dolly Parton, who wrote several songs herself, including her already highly lauded "I Will Always Love You," later to be covered by Whitney Houston in The Body Guard. The songs are pretty catchy and it's very enjoyable to see some down home Southern stereotypes milked to showcase the same airy performances we've seen a thousand times already. What isn't enjoyable is the casting for some of these parts. Burt Reynolds singing alongside a Madame while only wearing a blanket as a bottom? Bandit, you're better than that. And Dom DeLuise what in tarnation were you thinking? Wearing a bowl cut wig, and cha-chaing around in the most obscene outfits while singing about promiscuity? You belong in a Mel Brooks film, sticking out your tush and cha-chaing there! The only person perfectly suited seems to be Jim Nabors as a cloddish sheriff's deputy reminiscent of Barney Fife. Durning gives a very off color and yet highly entertaining turn as the governor but didn't deserve an Oscar nomination for his less than ten minutes screen time. I think the Academy was just surprised to see the negotiator from Dog Day Afternoon sing about corruption and dance a little side step. What is truly strange is the use of sex as a vehicle to move the plot along, though it's pretty tame when it comes to the music and showing the town of simple Southern folk in contrast. There could have been a lot subtler and less errant ways of showing promiscuity and prostitution than throwing in several shots of the women's bits as it were. Even more troubling is that though they do go the distance with the nudity it ends in a morality tale, which is so bedrift of sense that it ends remotely anticlimactic. It's not the worst musical ever, but it's a pain to sit through; Sodom and Gomorrah it is not.
Lady D

April 4, 2007
Despite being around 7 years old when I first watched this film (and not completely understanding all of it's contents) I watched this film over and over and fell in love with the costumes (how naive? ha ha).

Country music isn't particular my thing, but this film is fun and I still remember pretty much every word throughout the film (yes, I was an even worse film addict as a kid).

I have to rate this film fairly high, the nostalgia's sake.
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
A rousing good time at a Texas Whorehouse with silly country-flavored songs which I found catchy. There's plenty of antics going on, but nothing nude is shown. Burt Reynolds and Dolly Parton have some fun chemistry. He can't sing too well, but she belts out some good tunes. Dom Deloise plays a crazy TV news examiner who tries to expose the Whorehouse and get it closed down. There are some slow bittersweet moments near the end. It's a slice of the 80's.
Sarah P

August 9, 2012
This was a fun and funny (albeit cheesy) comedy musical. I loved Dom Deluise and Jim Nabors in this especially!
Lee K

April 14, 2009
dolly partons rack and wardrobe were the only thing i rmember from this film
Anthony V

July 4, 2007
Of note only for Charles Durning's portrayal of a Texas Politician.
rodjeckrich
April 11, 2013
I just couldn't get into this and I am a huge fan of Dolly Parton's jugs. Weak all around but it manages to have a shred of the charm of Burt's Southern fried comedies
January 3, 2013
Dolly Parton is as adorable as ever in this happy-go-lucky musical (which surprisingly is not overshadowed by its subject matter). Although I'd like to say that this film is all about the exposure of the Chicken Ranch and the fight to preserve this Texas tradition, it's hard to look past the girls who are smoking hott. If you can look past the girls (and if your view is not obstructed by Parton's huge... personality), the end result is a pretty interesting story for a musical. The dance numbers are really fun and nothing can top Dom DeLuise as Melvin P. Thorpe. His performance is inspired and there are few quirky characters out there with as much quirk as him. Burt Reynolds stands out as a smooth operator and plays perfectly off of Parton. "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" isn't my favorite musical (or even in my Top 25), but it's worth watching for classic performances from some of Hollywood's biggest names (and Hollywood's largest... well, you get the point).
firstamb
July 9, 2011
Colin Higgins, Parton, Reyonlds, DeLuise and other 80s icons team up in this outrageous comedy set in a house of ill repute based on a then popular news story. Parton plays the madame of the house and ironically Reynolds plays the sheriff.(He was most recently the Bandit). It's really not as dirty as the title implies but most 1980s 'sex comedies' would be considered PG 13 today. When the insane local politician attempts to close down the town Chicken Ranch, the townsfolk try yo put and end to his career. Has great musical numbers too. The cast are all 60s through 80s stars, some from film and TV. It's actually a big cast of talent.
youngboy832002
May 7, 2011
Loved this movie. If you like Dolly Parton you can not go wrong with her movies. Great movie, great music, and great cast. A Must See...
AlaineB
December 20, 2010
Musical numbers. Dolly sings I'll Always Love You. Burt is the sheriff who loves her. Charles Durning does a song and dance. Racy in its day.
donibscott
September 4, 2009
This movie is quite a bit of entertainment, wrapped in a bit of romance. I think it is well worth watching. Sometimes the old movies are the best.
June 19, 2008
i found this amusing... the songs were cheesy as was the dancing.. but it was the 80's still its funny to hear burt sing.. good fun for a lazy afternoon
rosey62899
April 16, 2008
Beautyful made funny and heart warming HARD CANDY CHRISTMAS just hits ya right in the heart and brings tears. love to watch it over and over. not to mention Dolly WOW WOW WOW got to love Dolly
January 22, 2008
A great film with an All Star Cast to back it up. Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds act fantastically in this film. Some of the songs are worth remembering. I would have to say not my favorite musical but it still was good to watch. Dom DeLuise is hilarious as along with Jim Nabors and Charles Duming. Who was a real treat to see was the housekeeper of the chicken coop + played by the same woman that was the maid in "Billy Madison"= PRICELESS RANDOM MOMENT IN FILM. But who took the whole show was of course Dolly Parton. She wrote most of the songs. "Hard Candy X-Mas" and who can not forget the famous song that made Whitney Houston a superstar "I Will Always Love You". I have to say Dolly Parton is a smart woman and can write songs really well. Def see this film.. it is a lot of fun!!!
joyndick
December 4, 2007
i thoroughly enjoyed this one. Burt Reynolds and Dolly are good together. Of course Dom DeLuise makes you laugh so ahrd.
November 26, 2007
It's a musical, but still pretty good. Maybe if the sheriff had arrested Melvin for breaking & entering, trespassing, invasion of privacy, and filming without a permit nor photo release, all of his evidence would have been deemed inadmissable in court. I'm just saying, watch a court movie for once, people!
October 14, 2007
Very memorable songs, great romance and some political social commentary make this an elite and entertaining musical.
sdeklc06
August 24, 2007
another dolly movie that i love. this was the 1st movie i remember seeing in the theaters when i was young. of course my mom took me. i was 8. how sad but i love it. soundtrack rocks too.