Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 Reviews

August 6, 2012
Not as good as the fist and disappointing that the original voices (except for George Lopez were missing) but still cute and entertaining.
May 26, 2012
You know your life is, uh, rather pathetic when your pet Chihuahua gets married before you do. That's the case with Sam Cortez (Marcus Coloma), a decent well-to-do nice guy who's in a long-term relationship with his girlfriend Rachel (Erin Cahill). Although he loves her very much, much to Rachel's chagrin, Sam just can't seem to propose to her. For some reason, Sam is reluctant to get married. He's just waiting for the right time, one supposes. Rachel, I know what that's like. He's so not worth it and he's really not into you...

Anyway, Sam's pet Chihuahua Papi (voiced by George Lopez) recently tied the knot with the love of his life Chloe (voiced by Odette Yustman). Before long, Chloe gives birth to a quintet of baby Chihuahuas. These Chihuahuas have since grown up to be at times mischievous but ultimately good-hearted but na've puppies. Papi Jr., (voiced by Zachary Gordon), the lone male puppy of the Chihuahua quintet, seems particularly impressionable. Papi is trying his hardest to raise his children right, but he just doesn't know how to a disciplinarian, or a father for that matter. He seems to want to be their friend instead.

While Rachel is away with her aunt studying plants in the Amazon rainforest, Sam is entrusted with taking care of the entire pet Chihuahua family. Sam takes the Chihuahuas to his parents' home. There, they meet Pedro (voiced by Ernie Hudson), the parents' pet Pit Bull with a not-so-picturesque smile. Chloe is also reunited with Delgado (voiced by Miguel Ferrer), a seasoned German Shepherd who served with the Mexican Police Force. Delgado previously helped Chloe when she ended up stranded in Mexico. Delgado is trying to reunite with his two adult sons, whom he abandoned when they were just baby puppy German Shepherds because he did it to protect them. But who would have thought that trying to reconnect and reconcile with your sons would be this much of a struggle?

It turns out that Sam's parents have fallen on hard times because they are behind in their mortgage payments and are about to lose their home. The dogs realize that they have to raise some mucho dinero in order to save their owner's family home. It's not just about losing the house itself, it's about the memories that were made in that home potentially perishing...

So the dogs decide to enter a dog talent show right here in Beverly Hills in order to save the family home. But the dogs have to compete with Appoline (voiced by Bridgit Mendler), a spoiled French poodle who believes she has this competition already in the bag...

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 is one of the most enjoyable direct-to-video features I have seen in recent years. This film could have easily been a throwaway sequel, one that was made for the sole purpose of trying to make a quick buck. But the filmmakers made the extra effort to create a movie with a good storyline, loveable characters, and lots of fun visual gags. What really made Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 stand out, especially compared to most other direct-to-video releases, is that both the cast and the crew looked like they cared about making a decent product.

The dogs in this movie did a great job and were obviously very well-trained. The Chihuahuas were all absolutely adorable and had great charisma. The special effects themselves are well done and when the dogs speak in this movie, they look about as realistic as one can expect. The voice cast also does a solid job of infusing these pets with concrete personalities from Papi being a laidback father figure and devoted husband to Chloe being a more straitlaced parent to Appoline being a stuck-up snot with a pseudo-French accent and all. These dogs grow on you and you find yourself caring for them

There are a lot of humorous scenes in this movie. One of my favorite scenes is when several debt collectors decide to take Sam's parents' home by force. But the dogs however are not going to let the collectors foreclose the home without a fight. The dogs fight back by utilizing some tactics stolen directly from the pages of Home Alone. Although this part may seem corny and derivative, the action was hilarious and there was a sense of exuberance in the way the scenes were played out. The dog show contest (with cameo appearances by both Morgan Fairchild and French Stewart as the judges with Stewart providing the requisite wisecracking commentary) was loads of fun with many of the dogs doing a variety of impressive tricks from doing handstands (or rather, "paw-stands") to playing the piano. Some of those tricks would be implausible in real life, but then again, dogs don't exactly talk least not in English. In addition, the storytelling segments are entertaining. Here, Papi provides various bedtime stories to his children about the Chihuahua Warriors. These stories were supposed to put the puppies to sleep, but it had the opposite effect and instead inspires and empowers those Chihuahuas. Of course, what the puppies learned from the Chihuahua Warriors comes in handy when they find themselves in the middle of a bank robbery.

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 has better production values than most of films of this caliber. This film makes good use of its Beverly Hills locales and the cinematography is crisp. In addition, the Aztec backdrop during the Chihuahua Warriors flashback scenes actually looks fairly convincing. Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 has a very polished, professional look that could have easily landed this film a theatrical release -- albeit probably around the typically slower months of January or February. Then again, maybe the Disney executives made a wise move to release this film directly on video instead of having it languish in theaters for a couple of weeks and then fading into obscurity. Often times, it's actually more profitable to do the former.

This film also features a higher quality script than usual. Yes, much of the film's storyline consists of the Chihuahua puppies causing mayhem and/or getting into trouble. The film's tone is certainly more jovial than clever. Many of the jokes in this movie are immature, though at least it mostly avoids potty humor. Yet, the script manages to incorporate a lot of basic yet important themes. Of course, there's the concept of family and that family sticks together even through the most trying of circumstances. There's also an important theme of trying to face one's past head on, as exemplified by Delgado's attempts to try and rebuild a relationship with his two sons who are now both working for the LAPD. And of course, there's the concept of learning what it takes to be a good parent. Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 is not quite as epic as the first one. The filmmakers chose to keep everything simple and it actually works to the film's benefit here.

Overall, I found Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 to have been a very pleasant surprise. This movie will have you laughing and smiling throughout. I would even go so far as to say that this movie can actually lift one's spirits. Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 is a refreshingly fun and relaxing movie that is suitable for the entire family. Youngsters will enjoy this film more than us older folk, but anybody who's in the mood for lighthearted escapist fare can't go wrong with this movie.
August 13, 2011
Not as cute as the original, but the puppies are just too cute to pass up watching the movie. Delgado returns & we (meet?) Pedro and what a 'smile' on him! Lol... with a smile like that... It'll keep even Fmily away!! There's a few chuckles & laughs.. (love the way the dogs catch a coupl eof the robbers) C
November 19, 2012
It's overflowed with family values, sweetness and kindness as this sequel's better, cuter and funnier even though Lopez, who performed his usual as a comedian and a family man, was the only of the original cast who reprise his role. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 8, 2014
It is a fun filled comedy even better than the original. Even though the idea of talking chihuahua's might be a little weird to adults it is a heartfelt story that the whole family will love. I would recommend it to any movie lover looking for a good movie to have fun with. At 83 minutes it is the perfect size for kids and adults alike. Even though a sequel was a doubt at first i would not be surprised if this became a classic. Although there are some sad scenes the children will laugh all day long. Finally the chihuahua puppies make a great new addition to the series. I hope you watch it!
½ May 18, 2014
Every Chihuahua and Poodle on the planet will feel disgraced by this rock bottom film.
October 19, 2013
Doggy style is my favorit
November 23, 2012
Absolutely stupid. What were they thinking with making this?
August 28, 2012
dog are cute. and that is it.
May 21, 2012
The plot, script, and cast were great. Looking foward to the sequel. :D
½ May 12, 2012
Following the chihuahua craze (Taco Bell, Paris Hilton), these things are terrible and like chihuahuas, I want to drop kick this DVD out the window.
April 21, 2012
Though I liked the 1st one, like Flicka 2 only I didn't like the original, was unneeded to have a sequel. Drew Barrymore and Jamie Lee are lucky they got out of this one.
April 15, 2012
No denying it has the marks of a cheap direct-to-DVD Disney sequel, but still an improvement over the first and a better story.
February 11, 2012
I loved Beverly Hills Chiuahua. Its one of Disney's most underrated movies. But Beverly Hills Chihuaua 2 Is THE MOST DISAPOINTING THING SINCE SUCKER PUNCH! This film is unfunny, painfull and just plain disapointing. Its the same joke used all over again while you watch it in your room hearing the silence of the audience.
There is no point for a sequel. Im done with this.

50/100 C
½ January 5, 2012
As if the first wasn't bad enough.
½ December 31, 2011
Formulaic Disney Family fare
½ July 26, 2011
one of the most cheesiest family movies ive ever seen. "Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2" is a corny pathetic attempt at a sequel. the characters were dumb, the story was just boring, and its way to kiddish. "Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2" is not worth your time. go watch something thats actually good. go see the new "Harry Potter" thats actually good. overall "Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2" is just a terrable movie.
July 16, 2011
I give this movie two stars..
For tweens and up this movie wasn't even close to being as entertaining as it's prequel.. The low budget straight to dvd film had no laughs for me, although my young cousin loved it and watched it over and over again. Young fans of the first one will love this movie just because of the dogs, but older viewers that even liked the first one probably will not like this movie...
July 7, 2011
My name is Anthony Aranda and I reviewed this film for KIDS FIRST! I love this movie. It is really great. My favorite part of the movie is when Papi and Chloe get married. I like that part the best because it looks like it is going to be a wedding for two people and then you see it?s really for the dogs. It is pretty funny.

My favorite characters in the film are Papi, Chloe, and their kids. I like them because they all see the true importance of family and sticking together. One part that shows this is when all the dogs enter a dog show to try to save the family?s house. Another instance is when they help with a bank robbery. They prove to be true Chihuahua warriors.

I really liked the music in the movie too. My favorite song in the movie is called ?This is my Paradise? sung by Bridgit Mendler. Every time it is on I sing along. I also enjoy watching her on a Disney show called ?Good Luck Charlie.?
I would recommend this movie for ages five and up. There are not a lot scary parts in the movie and it is really great. It made me laugh a lot. I recommend that you go out and see this movie as soon as it comes out on DVD.

Reviewed by Anthony Aranda, age 8, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic
March 16, 2011
This movie in my opinion is a good family,Kids comedy movie.But the first one was funnier.But it was in entertaining.I love animal flicks that are funny and heartwarming.And this one has both.Enjoy