Beverly Hills Cop III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beverly Hills Cop III Reviews

January 15, 2016
Without doubt the worst of the 3 movies in the series - The script is totally pointless, Axel finds the killer he's after within the first 40 minutes - so what's the point in continuing the movie?

How the script for this movie ever got approved is anyone's guess.
½ November 25, 2015
I guess you could watch it for the George Lucas cameo, but you're better off just watching the clip on YouTube.
October 10, 2015
Possibly the oddest entry in the series. Also possibly the funniest.
August 21, 2008
An ill judged unnecessary sequel is saved in small part to Murphy but a huge part to Hector Elizondo. Axel Foley tracks down the killer of his boss to a Theme Park in Los Angeles
August 11, 2015
It... it... this was bad... definitely did not do right by the first two films... they even killed Lt. Todd... & I was through after that.
½ November 25, 2011
This is the one that people hate the most, but once again, I found stuff to like about it. I even liked it more than the 2nd one. Best part of this film was the music. They added orchestra to the techno and it just worked for me. I still hope Eddie Murphy revisits this character someday.
½ June 9, 2015
While it was nice to welcome back Axel Foley in the summer of '94, this movie really wasn't all that good. It has its moments, but it pales in comparison to the original and even to Part 2. And I still wonder what Taggert had going on that he couldn't be in the threequel.
April 19, 2015
Axel,please just stay in Detroit....pretty please.
½ January 9, 2014
Though it has more of a serious tone and is less successful than its predecessors, Beverly Hills Cop III still retains the wisecracking humor that made the original a box-office blockbuster.
½ December 11, 2010
This movie has much less comedy than the first two and the story is not very bright either. The action sequences are laughable and it seems as if zero effort was given on this film. Murphy also seemed at lost with the charisma he had in the first two films.
November 15, 2014
The story of cops and crooks scurrying around a silly amusement park shows how tired the franchise has become, resorting to spontaneous violence, lazy direction and threadbare humor.
July 27, 2007
This is called trying to hard.
½ July 13, 2011
It's still a good film of the series as Murphy still performed well in this action-packed crime-solving film. Also, good thing Disneyland wasn't the setting or it would've been a bad movie. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 20, 2014
Beverly Hills Cop 3 sees Eddie Murphy travel to LA to find out who shot and killed his boss in Detroit Inspector Todd. His search leads him to theme park Wonder World and soon finds that the killer is in charge of the whole theme park security operation and it proves difficult in anyone believing that he could of done it.
February 12, 2010
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ July 20, 2014
(46%)
The first was a good fun action comedy, the second was more hard edged and stylish; very 1980's, this though isn't really anything. The very kid friendly theme park setting doesn't go with the R-rated script because the makers didn't (or couldn't) do anything with it that's really all that inventive or smart to get past the issue. It's also very much a movie that ticks boxes as it goes along. Shoot outs, tick, wise ass Eddie, tick, generic bad guy, tick, it's all just a little tired and worn. That said it's not awful, as it passes the time decently, but overall it's still a lazy sequel made entirely to cash grab from past success.
½ October 30, 2012
I was extremely apprehensive about watching this sequel to one of my all-time favorite comedies. I loved the first two films, but I was well aware of the horrid reviews this despised third entry had received. Plus, having it be a comedy sequel is stepping in particularly hostile film territory. No other genre can induce as much fear when it comes to sequels as the comedy genre. But, much to my surprise (And relief), I actually enjoyed this entry of the series. I guess I'm just incapable of hating a Beverly Hills Cop film.

The film begins in Detroit, with another one of Axel Folely's undercover operations involving a chop shop. The operation goes bust when the men who entered the shop kill all the workers in the shop and then start shooting at the officers who try to storm the building.

During the ensuing mayhem, Axel's boss is killed and Axel pursues the murderer, only to have his chase halted by the F.B.I. who tell him to back off from their investigation into Ellis DeWald. Of course, Axel ignores their warning and pursues him all the way to southern California, to of all places, an amusement park called Wonder World.

Now, with the help of Rosewood again, and a sad replacement for Taggart (A character whose name I can't really even recall because he was so forgettable) must figure out what kind of operation is going on at Wonder World and take down DeWald.

While the plots of the first two films weren't exactly award-winning, they at least had a steady structure. One of the biggest problems with this entry of the series is that it feels unfocused at times, especially with how it awkwardly blends campy humor with very dark moments. Unfortunately, it never finds a way to blend these elements together, making the film feel very messy at times with jarring tonal shifts. Still, at least the film had plenty of wacky scenarios, action scenes, and funny humor to keep the proceedings lively.

When it comes to the humor, this one of the elements that to me, helped save it from oblivion. It's not nearly as funny as the first two films, but I still laughed pretty often throughout this ridiculous third entry. The humor is pretty stupid and over the top, even by the standards of Beverly Hills Cop, but at I was still able to find it funny despite such issues.

Plus, there's a plethora of action scenes that also helped hold my interest. Car chases, foot chases, gun battles, fights at the amusement park involving a bizarre weapon, and so much more. I found these scenes to be exciting and interesting, no matter how weird they got.

The acting, as a whole, is decent. Though, once again, Eddie Murphy steals the show as Axel Folely. The only actor I wasn't all that fond of was Hector Elizondo who played the dismal replacement character for Taggart, as he had no defining characteristics by himself - he was merely a shell of a character.

Though hated by many, I can't deny my enjoyment of this despised third entry. While it's rough around the edges and certainly not as good as its predecessors, it's still pretty funny, action-packed, and entertaining as a whole. Still, this is only a rental for people curious to watch the sequels to the awesome original.
½ January 13, 2009
Maybe the 4th time watching this , stays good !
November 27, 2009
The worst in the series but it has its moments
June 8, 2014
Awesome movie. It may not be an oscar worthy film but it is entertaining every time you watch.. George Lucas cameo! Serge!