Bewitched - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bewitched Reviews

July 13, 2015
And this from a guy who loves Nicky Kidman.
½ May 23, 2013
It's a sad day indeed when Michael Caine appears in the same film as Will Ferrell. Incompetent writing, mismatched cast and absurd dialogue make this film a dud.
½ June 26, 2011
Bewitched, have a charme made by yours actors, and for be remember a classic series, in this case, the homonymy popular show with Elizabeth Montgomery. But the film, have a terrible screenplay, just like the direction of Nora Ephron, beyond this Bewitched don't have any kind of entertaining or funny. Rotten.
½ June 23, 2011
Awful. I'm being extremely generous by giving half a star.
½ February 5, 2011
It's not a terrible movie. It could have been much better though.
July 8, 2009
Good movie and funny too!

Will Ferrell is Jack Wyatt an actor with minimal talent whose career has been declining steadily. Desperately seeking something that will boost his sagging career and his self esteem, Jack agrees to star in a re-make of the TV show Bewitched on the condition that he gets a complete unknown for the female lead to play opposite him. This will ensure that the audience will only be left with Jack to see with lots of screen time. Jack and the producers audition a long roster of wannabes, and in a period of frustration, he sees Isabel (Nicole Kidman) at a caf and begs her to become an actress and work in his TV show. He is confused when she initially rebuffs his advances, mistaking his attention as declaration of love. Since she is a witch and has been brought up in a world of spells and goblins, without TV, she is unaware of Elizabeth Montgomerys role of Samantha Stevens and the legacy of the TV show Bewitched. Isabel is trying to be a regular mortal person, and ultimately trying to catch a normal husband form the mortal side of reality. During the course of events she finds she must use her magical powers to help things along. But in the end she discovers that she must decide finally between a life spent on earth with mortal man or return home, where she will be a witch forever more.
January 25, 2011
I really don't know what to say. It's nowhere near as bad as some people say it is, but it's definitely not what i'd call good. Nicole Kidman is actually the best part, she played Samantha just as good as her TV counterpart. Unsurprisingly, Will Ferrell took things too far and made this into a ridiculous comedy in which he just yells and screams all the time.
½ January 20, 2011
You have to admire Nora Ephron's "Bewitched" for bring one of the few films to dare cross the line into pure meta-romantic comedy. This is a genre that is extremely rare, obviously. The most famous example is probably "The Purple Rose of Cairo" by Woody Allen. While "Bewitched" never truly works (you can't have two wacko's falling in love, one will do just fine), you have to support the picture's willingness to embrace such foreign sensibilities. Nicole Kidman is rather funny in this but it's Will Farrell that sends things over the edge. Like I said, one insane person is quite enough.
February 5, 2010
½ July 29, 2010
Easy enough to watch, but what you really want is laughs and something that stays true to the actual show it's based off of.
½ May 26, 2006
Bewitched: B Grade Mild Remake. I say leave Bewitched in peace, just like Herbie. Will Ferrell not his usual Hilarious self. Overall a mah movie.
January 11, 2010
Bewitched has it's witty moments but nobody will ever get me to be a fan of a female witch trying to wreck a man in the film business!
December 5, 2009
Not bad but I rather stuck on the Original TV Series.
½ June 15, 2007
Surprisingly, I liked it. Yes, I recognize its problems, and yes, Will Ferrell is terrible, but omg Nicole Kidman! What a pile of adorability. And Kristin Chenoweth! Cute! And...I can't form coherent sentences in my head.
February 24, 2008
Hilarious. Will Ferrell brought his share of comedy to this movie, and Nicole Kidman did as well.
January 21, 2009
"Be warned. Be ready."

Nora Ephron directed and co-wrote this updated adaptation of a classic situation comedy that also casts a satirical eye on the entertainment industry. Jack Wyatt (Will Ferrell) is a movie star whose career has been going into a slow and steady decline. Desperate for a project that will give his reputation a jump start, Jack agrees to star in a film version of the once-popular television series Bewitched as hapless hubby Darrin Stephens, under the condition that an unknown actress be cast as the female lead so he won't be upstaged. After auditioning dozens of women who fail to make the grade, Jack meets lovely and charming Isabel Bigelow (Nicole Kidman), and is immediately certain she's the perfect choice to play witch-turned-housewife Samantha. However, there's one thing neither Jack nor the producers of the film know -- Isabel really is a witch, and while she's been trying to get along without her powers to better fit in among mortals, she will use her special talents when need be.

While I was not expecting miracles from a remake of a classic TV show, I still expected new twists and an exciting plot. I found much of the movie to be redundant and unnecessary. It is easy to become disconnected from the characters and the storyline. The setting is uninteresting and difficult to stay focused on. It seemed to be a horrible waste of time and money. As much as I like Nicole Kidman, her performance was lackluster and Will Ferrell was very much himself...which was expected, but a deviation would have been appreciated. All of the worthwhile punchlines and jokes were used in the movie trailer...leaving audiences feeling as though they'd already seen the movie. If you are interested in Bewitched, just see the trailer.
½ March 17, 2008
Biggest Disapointment!
I love both of the stars, but sadly the best part of the film is the song from the band 'Persephone's Bees' that was played duting the begining of the film.
½ February 18, 2008
Kind of strange...but Will Farrell knows what he's doing
½ June 26, 2006
i thought it was cute. not horrible but not the best romantic comidy ever.
September 28, 2007
What the hell was up with the 'happy dancing' sceen in front of the house? Not that great of a movie for sure.