97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Beyond The Hills Reviews

February 15, 2014
This is very, very bleak, but definitely worth watching.
shakercoola
January 3, 2014
A captivating, austere drama. Bergmanesque.
December 27, 2013
The film is fascinating when you think about it: gay repression, religiosity as violence, european immigration... Yet, such thoughts, it seems to me, aren't borne directly of the film, but through an assessment of its untapped potentiality. The film is an absolute slog and a great example of the kind of "european, art cinema" you don't want the uninitatied to see, lest they believe the stereotypes of inertia, boredom and pretentiousness. The film's final shot, of a suddenly muddied windshield, is absolutely hysterical.
baradore
June 17, 2013
another anti-religion movie filled with stupidity of the church and stuff! the only reason for it to be rewarded that much. I admit that it is directed very well but the actors performance and screenplay are seriously weak. didn't enjoy it and i don't recommend it to people who want to entertain themselves by a movie. this one sucks as an entertainment.
October 28, 2013
This is a movie that requires EFFORT. To start with it is 2 1/2 hours of unrelenting dull obedience to rules and regulations in a monastery, orphanage and hospital where the act of obedience is enough and of course removes any personal responsibility from the individual.
Where individuals do scrape a space for themselves you almost wish they hadn't.
What is really mysterious is that the film is riveting.
Go figure, but see the film first.
October 4, 2013
Crazy god-addicted people living in a convent and their weird way of living is for me something more special than just a foreign culture. One of the nuns there gets a visit from her friend that used to stay at the same orphanage as her. They have a, let's say, special friendship that should be hidden from the rest of the society.

This is a slow, long film. It's never boring, but it keeps grinding and grinding. The constant development creates a certain feel of the film, and it made me feel angry, glad, anoyed, unfaithful - loads of feelings came to mind. Amazing debut performances from the two leads - so good in fact that they both won prizes in Cannes. A mixture of "The Exorsist", "Of Gods and Men" and the directors last film "4 luni, 3 saptamāni si 2 zile". I loved the directors last one, but this masterpiece is just as good for me. It makes you think a lot, you want to read between the lines and think. I must also praise it for it's very fine cinematography the real culture and deep subjects. It's very long, that may be the only negative thing here, even if it does not feel THAT long.

A film that's provoking, it's testing belives and religion, it's very up for the task of being discussed. I guess ethics and love are in the picture here as well. It's actually based on a true story as well, that amaze me. Woah.

9 out of 10 amandments.
March 17, 2013
Although Beyond the Hills feels like a accomplished film I did get a similar detachment that I felt with Mungiu's previous work, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Perhaps his films take a bit longer to sink in than I have given them. Perhaps his style is simply to cold to affect me on a gut level. Paradoxically while I found 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days to lack subtlety, Beyond the Hills may well have been too subtle. Of course due to timing issues I was forced to watch this in 3 sittings. It is possible that this dampened the films impact so I'll give it another chance in the future. It does comment quite succinctly about the power of faith in God and the potential damage that blind faith can cause. This, more than the plight one any individual character, was the overwhelming notion that I took from the film.
September 10, 2013
Its interesting that while Hollywood ties itself up in knots looking for new ideas some of the best films around are coming from a worldwide market.
This is one of those films and its nothing short of a masterpiece if one that not for everyones taste.
Alina is an orphan who's very best friend Voichita has joined a remote moanstry and is living a strict religious life under the watchful eye of the head preist and the older nuns.
Alina is short tempered and semmingly troubled by an undisclosed isssue in her past andd she is desperate for her friend to come away with her for a life in Germany.
The trouble starts when Voichita is reluctant to go and Alina blames the preist and nuns for corrupting Voichitas mind.
Alina begins to lose control and the nuns believe she is possesed by the devil which leads to a shocking chain of events .
The secret of the films excellence lies in the acting and direction ,the two female leads are both outstanding and the all of the cast give great performances.
The direction by Cristian Mungui is surefooted and in parts very eerie as we see the nuns actions amidst the raw Romanian winter setting.
The subject od god and an absence of religion is handled with supreme confidence and although the film is long you never become bored with the events as they unfold before you .
A masterpiece of filmaking and one of the best films of 2013
August 6, 2013
Christian Mungiu succeeds at mystifying, shocking and disgusting with this film. "Beyond the Hills" is a hard hitting and emotional film, executed with a sense of realism in mind. Christina Flutur and Cosmina Stratan deliver excellent performances and Christian Mungiu's gritty direction elevates this film to great heights.
August 18, 2013
Its intriguing and fascinating, haunting as well, particularly the belief in faith, however, like most films of current cinema, the duration of the film is demanding and detrimental
August 10, 2013
Powerful, absorbing cinema from the great Romanian director Mungiu. Long and slow burning it is none the less compelling in its stark depiction of life in a remote monastery. Religious dogma battles the relationship between two troubled young woman. There is pain and bitter reality in this beautifully framed and acted film. Tough going but the rewards are immense.
March 22, 2013
There are no easy answers. Right for a person could be the wrong for another. Cristian Mungiu is definitely on my list.
July 15, 2013
Priest and nuns
Hit the right gun
Bustle!

Seriously, you all, some pretty terrifying stuff here. Go check out if you have time.
July 8, 2013
PAINFUL!! This is the slowest film, with the most pointlessly dragged out scenes ever! We forwarded it by an hour and still nothing had happened. I don't normally leave reviews but this film was so bad I feel I should do the public a favour and balance out the other reviews. I can only say I think they must have watched a different movie.
June 28, 2013
Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"Beyond the Hills" seethes with astonishment and rage at a broken society marooned between the 21st century and the 16th.
May 20, 2012
very unintended but i was highly amused more than a few times during the film.
(atheists will have a field day with this one)

it wasn't easy sitting through it (i dare you not to feel the slow pace), but one should. this romanian flick was kinda hypnotic, captivating, and threw up more questions than it answered. and now i am interested to watch this director's earlier film, "4 months 3 weeks and 2 days" (which i have avoided 'cos the subject matter sounded boring and 'done')
March 17, 2013
From the director of 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days..I will expect a great cinematic experience!
June 12, 2013
Another very fine piece of filmmaking, splendidly harsh viewing.