43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Beyond the Sea Reviews

middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

January 9, 2010
Kevin Spacey did a great job putting together the story of Bobby Darin, one of the most popular singers of his time in the 60's. Spacey directed and starred and even did his own singing and dancing in this film that chronicles Darin's childhood then skips ahead to when he's older and just starting out. Darin didn't have drug and alcohol problems or anything else that gets thrown into your usual run-of-the-mill biopic. Bobby Darin was given just years to live, so he pretty much lived his entire life on borrowed time. He had the usual marital troubles and later finds out his sister is actually his mother, but - for better or worse - the story doesn't have the drama and theatrics that most films of these types seem to delve into and ride until the end. Still, Spacey did a terrific job in capturing the spirit and joy that performing did for Darin back in the day.
Emily A

April 11, 2007
This movie did not live up to its tagline and all in all lacked a certain lustre that this kind of film demands. That's not to say that Kevin Spacey did a bad job directing or acting; he did them very well. I just don't know if he was the right person to do it.
Lady D

February 19, 2007
This was great, I didn't know very much about Bobby Darin and Kevin Spacey certainly played a great part.
Al S

October 10, 2006
Kevin Spacey is absolutely marvelous. A teriffic performance. He sing's, writes, produces and directs a magnificent movie. Kate Bosworth is fantastic. This is a wonderful film. It's an sensational, riveting, extroadinary and brilliant biopic
Roy G

October 22, 2006
Spacey is someone who is capable of producing, writing, directing, starring and doing his own singing -- and making it all work magnificently.
Mouhannad S

February 13, 2011
I loved the show.
Beautiful soundtrack, gorgeous sets and costumes, good writing, and great performances.
you will like the first half of "Beyond The Sea", with its production numbers and people dancing in the streets and love blooming all over the place and rising above adversity to achieve fame and fortune ...
... but the second half was like a whole different movie. No more dancing in the streets, nothing to be happy about at all, just illness, alcoholism, politics, audience rejection and early death.
The songs are all done well.
Not to be missed if you like that sort of music.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

March 27, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Beyond the Sea" is a biopic about singer Bobby Darin(Kevin Spacey, who also directed, did his own singing, co-wrote and co-produced but probably did not help with the catering), ne Walden Robert Cassotto, who was born into a modest household in The Bronx in 1936. As a young boy, he was struck by rheumatic fever which weakened his heart, so doctors did not think he would survive past the age of fifteen. He defied their predictions and also developed an interest in music which led to a very successful career as a pop singer. Eventually, he even gets into acting and a relationship with actress Sandra Dee(Kate Bosworth).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Beyond the Sea" simply tries too hard in trying to cram the entirety of Bobby Darin's life into a film along with enough symbolism, surrealism and musical numbers to choke a horse. The most serious flaw of the movie is that Kevin Spacey is simply too old to be playing Darin, especially in his early scenes with Kate Bosworth.(Any actor who chooses to direct must eventually realize that they do not have to be in front of the camera all of the time.) As the film goes on, Spacey does get in sync with the older Darin, but by then the damage has been done. [/font]
Mike T

July 17, 2006
Kevin Spacey's directorial debut proves how skilled he is. Not only is he a phenomenal actor, but a skilled singer and dancer too. It's too bad that such a mediocre film is a showcase for that fact. This is an incoherent, structurally frustrating movie that doesn't achieve any sort of emotional impact.
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

July 21, 2009
Even Kevin Spacey couldn't keep me awake for this one
Anthony V

May 4, 2007
Kevin Spacey creates a great throw back to the old Hollywood musicals. He also manages to create a vivid portrait of Walden Robert Cassotto (AKA Bobby Darin). Fun and entertaining, however, if you hate musicals with dance numbers in the old Hollywood style, this will not be your cup of tea.
Marion R

January 21, 2008
It was enjoyable. The songs keep the movie going, it was more like a long music video.
Sarah P

October 20, 2007
Nothing exciting about this film
Haley A

March 1, 2007
Better than I thought it'd be. Kevin Spacey makes a great Bobby Darin, and did wonderfully as writer/director. Kate Bosworth, Bob Hoskins, and Venessa Redgrave were great additions, as well. Interesting take on the story, and very entertaining film.
tpolslover
January 2, 2013
I didn't know know that Bobby Darin sang Splish Splash, a song I was taught in elementary school music class. That part held some significance for me. The movie was well made and the singing was superb. Seeing the full gamut of Bobby Darin's life was interesting also.
Kenc1957
June 17, 2012
Nice choreography, music but the movie lacks too much substance. Would have been better served as a total musical or biographical sketch depicting the lives intertwined characters. Although shallow, a good watch.
January 3, 2012
I don't know enough about Bobby Darin to say whether or not this movie stays true to fact. But I don't care. This movie is beautiful in every single possible way. I've never been impressed with Kevin Spacey in the past, but he blew me away in this film. I never would have imagined I would enjoy this movie as much as I did.
amandarent
October 6, 2011
I naturally classify Bobby Darin up there with Old Blue Eyes and Bing and love his voice. It was fun to find out more about his life, though this is more about his music and the man then it really is about his life. The storytelling was unique and I loved the big Hollywood dance numbers. I would have liked to know more about his early life and how he really got his foot in the door, but the film covered a lot.
Brody M

November 30, 2010
I'm not into musicals so it was probably all the musical numbers that ruined it for me.I tried & tried but I could NOT sit through the whole thing
March 8, 2011
I'm a sucker for a good film about a musician. I'm fascinated by both history and music, so those two together in a film...a good film, hits me. I happened to see Bobby Darin act in an old film "Pressure Point" and decided it would be good to see this film I've been meaning to see for a long time. I thought it was strange that Kevin Spacey at his age would play Bobby Darin and I had heard he actually sang the songs with his voice and not a voice over. I thought this was daring. Just as the name and character he plays it works.

I didn't know this was a meta type of film. If I had known this I may be been more interested in the movie before hand. Spacey acts and directs in this film and does an amazing job in telling the story in an interesting manner rather than just a straight forward biopic. Spacey does have some make up to make him both look younger and look more like Bobby Darin. Spacey does an amazing job. Not perfect, but still amazing.

I'll have to admit I didn't know too much about Bobby Darin, but the film did make me more interested in his life and music. I'm not a huge big band fan, but I do enjoy it at times.

Also the dance and music numbers are great on here. Again it is a meta film and does have it's "musical" moments, but it isn't a musical (thank God) and just uses it sparingly.

Overall this is a great film if you like music history and you enjoy a good story told in a really creative way.