—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
This movie is a semi spoof of Valley of the Dolls, and it's very funny. The girls find themselves in crazy situations, there's a lot of crazy orgy parties, and the characters are crazy too. A classic cult film, check it out, I love it.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

November 27, 2009
Absolutley insane and bizarre. I loved it!
Drew S

July 13, 2008
I have no idea what the fuck I just watched, but I kind of loved it. This is High Camp, effortless and energetic and unironically involving. I was totally submerged in the bizarre plot until the last ten minutes or so, which I think is an incredible triumph on Russ Meyer's part, until I realized that a woman was being chased around by a breasted man in a cape calling himself Superwoman. There are some things that you simply CAN'T suspend disbelief for, but the movie isn't any weaker for it...it just kicks it back to camp land.

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls will probably have zero crossover appeal to anyone who doesn't like shitty movies, which makes me sad. I wouldn't even try to initiate a friend with this, either. The drop into awfulness is very steep and played almost totally straight, which I really admire Dolls for. The only irony you find in the movie is blink-and-you'll-miss-them lines to the audience. I read an interview that Roger Ebert, who wrote the movie, did with someone, in which he claimed that he wrote the film as a parody of violent shitty movies, and the interviewer replied "did the director know this?"

Apparently not. And that is good.
Beefy
Beefy

June 16, 2007
I was not prepared for how awesome this movie was, nor had I realized how many films I have seen were clearly inspired by it.
Stephen M

January 19, 2008
How Russ Meyer ever managed to steer this film through a major studio (20th Century Fox) is nothing short of miraculous. It's an hilarious, ultra-camp, rags-to-riches soap opera about a girl-group trying to break into the music scene in L.A. Of course, it's pretty tame by modern standards but its nudity, drug references, violence and general perverseness must have been startling in its day. The fashions, music and language of the movie are hysterically dated now, but that only adds to the charm. Acting honours go to John LaZar as Z-Man, Cynthia Myers as Casey, the disillusioned lesbian, and Duncan McLeod as Porter Hall, the slimy lawyer. Russ Meyer made some great independent movies but "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" is a fascinating glimpse of the mainstream career he never had, and of the subversive masterpieces he might have made within the studio system.
Michael S

April 6, 2007
Way better than I expected.
garyX
garyX

July 13, 2007
The retro kitsch of Russ Meyer films has enjoyed a cult following amongst the po-mo crowd for some time now, much of it undeserved. His tacky mix of sensationalism and gratuitously over-sized mammaries is usually outright trash, but once in a while (Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! included) it actually works. This bizarre cross between rock expose, soap opera and twisted serial killer movie is in turns hilarious, disturbing and absurd. Definitely one for a group of like-minded friends and a copious amount of booze.
Cindy I

June 30, 2007
An huge steaming pile of crap, with a screenwriting credit by none other than film reviewer Roger Ebert. He claims it was all a big joke now, but I wonder if maybe he's just saying that now to defend himself from more criticsim. I've giving it more than one star just for the campiness and B-movie weirdness of it all. Take this film, add your wackiest friends and copious amounts of alcohol, and enjoy.
jjnxn
jjnxn

June 16, 2007
strange to say the least, starts as a lot of silly fun but goes downhill by the end.
Michael G

November 12, 2006
This is easily one of the most ridiculous movies I've seen in my life but it's so funny and entertaining to the point of absurdity.
John B

January 30, 2011
Really? I was supposed to watch this and come up with a serious critique?
shitfaced8
shitfaced8

April 19, 2010
This movie is so grooovy maaan. Russ Meyer really is the undispute champ of 60's sexloitation and camp. Also the screenpay was written by a young Roger Ebert. This film is good times from begining to end. The "plot" is sparse and involves a 60's girl group who move to Hollywood to hit the big time, but along the way get caught up in the seedy underbelly of showbiz and ultimately are one by one corrupted by the fast life of sex, drugs and rock n roll. I'm not really sure how I felt about the heavy handed moralism at the end of the film, but I assume Meyer had to put that clip in to justify all of the perversty this film exhibits. That being said this film never feels sleazy or mean spirited, even at the eruption of violence towards the end. This is just light hearted campy good times intended for adult audiences. This film doesn't appear "fresh" anymore, but acts as a great time capsule of everything that was far out about the 60's. If you havent seen a Russ Meyer flick before he is a man who knew what he liked to see on the screen. Big Boobs, Fast Cars, Wild Parties and Violence. If you have a problem with any of these things you'd be advised to watch Bambi instead. If like me, this is what you look for in films than you really can't do any better than this unabashed sexploitation romp. Some of the most fun you're likely to have while watching a movie.
divinetrash
divinetrash

February 9, 2008
It's so hilarious how at the beginning of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS THEY REALLY WANT YOU KNOW THAT IT'S NOT A SEQUEL TO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS!! How could it?? It's not like they're both movies that deal with fame, drugs, sex and show way too many boobs in the exact same manner. Oh, man, this movie is hilarious all the way through.
littlecharmer1959
littlecharmer1959

June 2, 2008
Crazy, campy but ultimately quite fun!

"In a scene like this you get a contact-high!"
Patrick D

May 29, 2008
Brilliant.
There's alot of things going on in this film underneath and above.
It's also just a funny, strange, and straight up a great watch.
November 8, 2013
Here's an ironic review: I hated this move. I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated this movie. Girls were cute though - with that 60's go-go dance thing going. Hence two stars. Here's another tip. Watch it with the volume turned down while listening to NPR. Let's see if you get the first reference.
kenscheck
September 21, 2011
If your really into the 60s psychedelia stuff, this is for you. If you are more into reality of the 60s like me, this is a big skip. It is interesting for its time period and worth a look, but definitely goes nowhere.
muttonman21
October 9, 2006
So bad it's good. A cheesy cult movie full of some bad acting, crazy script, good looking girls, and sub-par music that I still find enjoyable despite a voice-over ending that makes no sense (only added so the movie could be released). Odd that this was written by critic Roger Ebert. Crazy ass movie, bad movie, BUT... I luffs it all sick. ^_^
tmannamt
December 19, 2010
The movie equivalent to taking acid. I was like WTF did I just watch when it was over LOL.

So after watching it's boring predecessor, that movie made me realize how awesome this movie really is. It's still a weird movie lol but at least this was not boring and it delivered on it's outrageous promises.
August 24, 2008
This was Russ Meyer's only big budget movie. Roger Ebert wrote the script. He's a better movie critic. It's just a long soap opera with flashes of nudity. Although it's about an all girl rock band, the music is terrible. Russ Meyer is an old World War II vet trying to be hip in the late 1960's and just doesn't quite get it. One of the themes of this movie is the generation gap from that era. He had a good eye for girls with big boobs but had no ear for rock music. Just a few years before this movie was made, the Monkees TV show was about a fake band but managed to have real hits. This movie had a no-hit rock band doing the music. The NC-17 rating is because of the weird climax to the movie with a trans-gendered dude cutting heads off and stabbing and shooting people for no reason. The story starts out with an all girl band playing at a high school prom. They decide to go to California to claim an inheritance for the lead singer. They must have been in Oklahoma because they have a map sequence of them traveling that starts in the Texas Panhandle on I-40. They get to L.A. and become instant stars. Nothing in the story makes any sense. The acting is bad. The dialogue is flat or makes no sense. The only thing the movie has going for it is the good looking women. If you want to see a good Russ Meyer film, watch Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill. It's low budget but fun.