• Unrated, 1 hr. 46 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1
82% Satisfaction: Season 1
87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis (Welcome to the Land of Shtis) (Welcome to the Sticks) Reviews

Nicki M

September 6, 2008
Slight, but amusing film. The parts where the wife goes to visit are hilarious, and I give full marks to whoever did the translating for the subtitltes!
Janice Y

July 5, 2008
It is hilarious, but in a French way. I certainly enjoyed it...
Luke T.
Luke T.

January 31, 2011
Bienvenue Chez Les Ch'tis.
Simply formulaic, but charmingly funny.
I'll start out by saying that I've lived in Belgium my whole life, and I speak French. Coming from that point of view, this film was hilarious. I loved that it begins pouring rain the second he enters into the territory of "Le Nord" (been there), and the constant use of the term "Biloute" (done that).
The performances are nice, especially Dany Boon, who did a great job of directing and writing as well. The story was nothing amazing, but because of the charming characters and my own love for anti-Northern France jokes, it succeeds greatly.

Why 70%?
Because you get plenty of clever laughs along with a likable, the situations are fun and its tight pace keeps things moving nicely.

Extra:
The English subtitles don't do the Ch'tis accents justice, they're hilarious. A lot of French humor revolves around wordplay and double-meanings, and this movie has plenty of those. Have you seen this dubbed? Is it any good? Well anyways, several very French/Belgian moments.
Ina S

April 5, 2010
Charming, at times downright hilarious comedy. Unfortunately I don't speak a word of French and have no deeper knowledge of the culture clash between North and South - the film is probably truly funny to French audiences, as the success in France also demonstrates.
Laurence C

July 30, 2008
Alright, so it made about twenty million bucks in France alone, so it MUST be some good, right?

Yeah. It's good. And it's funny. Boon sure knows how to stage delightfully likeable (and unlikeable) characters in an offbeat environment. The laughs come quick, and most of the time, they're subtle and effective thanks to the cast's enormous comic timing.

But I, bitter cinephile, was most definitely annoyed by the many, many narrative shortcuts employed throughout. I understand this is very much a light comedy that cannot possibly last more than two hours, but there a pacing issues (some about being too quick, or being somewhat sluggish) that could easily have been avoided if it swayed a little farther from the conventions of the genre. For such a phenomenal success, I eexpected something a bit more revolutionary, not the perfect formula served perfectly.

But, *sigh*, you should see it. It's highly enjoyable, despite its conventional screenplay. The dialogue is engaging, it's pretty to look at (and Merad's perfectly cast mug is a high point for me) and the audience explodes with laughter (sometimes even too much, in my case).
August 25, 2008
After having been told by some many people just how funny this movie was, I finally watched it on DVD. It was a laugh and fun to watch but it doesn't make my all time favorite list.
NoxInvictus
August 29, 2011
Advice--make sure you have GOOD subtitles. Might be the reason why it was as good as I had suspected it would be, but still an enjoyable film. Would still recommend if you like Dany Boon or French film in general.
workshedmars
February 22, 2009
Very charming French comedy that was all the rage in France in 2008--every person in France saw this film and it is solid enough to hold the attention. Not earthshaking by any means but well-played, well-paced and deftly built, it's worth a view.
May 18, 2014
Bahahahahaahahahahah that's all I can say xD
March 19, 2014
"No, it's not 'Chouth', it's South ..."
Comédias francesas não são um produto vasto no nosso quotidiano, embora recentemente tenhamos tido uma agradável surpresa com A Gaiola Dourada.
De facto, tentar trazer uma comédia à tona é uma tarefa complicada.
Num registo mais leve temos sempre Astérix e Obélix; Delicatessen (1991), de Jean-Pierre Jeunet, é também uma aposta segura, se bem que com um tom mais negro e macabro. Mas se quisermos apontar uma comédia dramática que possa agradar a toda a família, e proporcionar gargalhadas intensas, este filme é o ideal e, sem dúvida, uma das melhores surpresas no género.
Ao fim de alguns minutos de película torna-se fácil perceber o porquê de Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis se ter tornado o filme mais visto de sempre em França. A sua história tem um pouco de comum com a vida de qualquer pessoa e isso aproxima-nos do produto final de um ponto de vista emocional.
Philippe Abrams é um coordenador de postos de correio que, devido a uma infantilidade cometida no local de trabalho, é forçado a aceitar um novo emprego numa região remota da França, onde, aparentemente, se passeia um fim do mundo e um festival de ocorrências assustadoras. Ao deslocar-se para essa nova região francesa, Philippe começa a habituar-se aos costumes das redondenzas e das pessoas que as habitam. O filme é um retrato cómico, e ao mesmo tempo triste, da estranha relação que o Homem cria com o desconhecido. Já todos nós nos vimos fora da nossa zona de conforto, receosos de um tempo que inadvertidamente se nos introduz dolorosamente eterno, só para mais tarde chegarmos à conclusão de que agora é àquele sítio, outrora estranho, que agora pertencemos.
Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis não vai deixar ninguém indiferente, quer seja pela sua análise perspicaz às nossas emoções, quer seja pelos muitos e bons momentos de diversão que apresenta.
March 12, 2014
Not a bad film with some really funny moments, it really is a fun watch at moments.
January 17, 2014
This is one of those movies that made me hate myself for not knowing the French language. Even though I was bursting out laughing at the subtitles, I was wishing every second that I didn't had to depend on somebody's translation to get all the jokes. Great movie, very well acted and never gives you a chance to feel bored. It's a funny ride all the way from South of France to the Dreaded North. Hilarious.
April 6, 2013
Not a good choice to learn french. lol
Yasmin Z.
February 11, 2013
Country: France
---------------
That is really entertaining..

A Parisian husband who is transrered to a town in north of France carrying a negative image about its people, but then he realizes the truth of his misperceptions. The plot is kinda simple yet fun depicting stereotyping and friendship in a sweet and loveable way.

I really felt for the climax as I am one who is really attached to people and places. What helped more to enjoy WELCOME TO THE STICKS (BIENVENUE CHEZ LES CH'TIS) is the incredible work for the subtitles which captured the essence of scenes where different dialects have a role in the plot for non-French speaking.

PS: The movie was the biggest hit in French theaters along history
November 26, 2010
I've never understood how this film was able to have more than 20 million went to theater to watch this crap !!!
October 26, 2012
Although a non-French viewer will have trouble understanding some of the jokes, this is still a very funny movie that can provoke laughs at an international level.
PetrosTser
December 27, 2010
It tries hard to be different and, although it derails at some points, it succeeds thanks to the heartfelt performances by Kad Merad and Anne Marivin, the splendid Line Renaud, an awesome guest appearance by Michel Galabru and some really fresh jokes. It's not perfect, but it is exactly (or almost exactly) the kind of comedy needed nowadays. Refreshing and clever. Thanks.
July 23, 2012
Some jokes are inevitably lost in translation, but this film has more charming and funny moments than more popular counterparts.
April 28, 2012
It's not a movie. It's a waste of 1h40 of your life.
Arthuro
July 4, 2010
Je pourrais dire que je m'en doutais, mais c'est toujours facile après coup.
Toujours est-il que c'est exactement ce à quoi je m'attendais : quelques répliques marrantes perdues dans un film tout juste prenant.
Si le fond de l'histoire, ce sudiste qui se retrouve dans le 59 est plutôt pas mal trouvé, il faut bien dire que le comique ne casse pas quatre pattes à un canard.
Par contre, mention spéciale aux acteurs, ils prennent visiblement plus de plaisir à jouer que je n'en ai pris à les regarder.