97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Big Daddy Reviews

Tyler R

August 22, 2012
What can you say about Adam Sandler? He's funny and he provides entertaining content. In case you're wondering, I'm talking about the 90's Adam Sandler. Adam Sandler today is just...well...shit. Big Daddy was obviously the last of Sandler's films that were mildly fun to watch, so let's get to it. Big Daddy has Sandler playing Sonny Koufax, a guy who's been dumped by his girlfriend for being immature. But when his roommate's biological son shows up at his doorstep by accident, Sonny decides to keep him to try and show his girlfriend he's responsible. The thing about this movie is that there are parts that are laugh out loud funny. Most of the humor is based off of Adam Sandler being himself, but it's still pretty funny. But there are parts where the humor felt too low brow and there were some parts where the laughs are suppose to come off slapstick jokes, but I didn't find those too funny. As a matter of fact, there was more slapstick then I would've wanted. Since it's an Adam Sandler movie, it has the cast that you would expect like Rob Schneider and Steve Buscemi. I actually liked Buscemi's character for some reason. I don't know why, I just liked watching a homeless guy and his need for a sausage McMuffin. The rest of the characters were just meh. Rob Schneider's character was kind of funny, and the kid Sandler ends up with did some funny things. Sandler's character you root for right away mainly because it's Adam Sandler playing him. The main problem with the movie is that it's really predictable. I knew where the film was heading and in the end, the movie just ends with some emotion that's really forced and empty. 90% of the movie is just comedy stuff, but near the end the director tries to shove a whole bunch of emotion and sadness into your face, but it doesn't work. The film is funny at times, but the funny parts are overshadowed by all the unfunny slapstick and low brow humor. Adam Sandler had a good run in the 90's. He was on SNL, he made some funny movies, but this film marks the beginning of when his films start to become dumb and unwatchable.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 1, 2011
Sonny: I had a mother lined up for him, but she's bangin' the Pepperidge Farm guy and the kid won't stop peeing and throwing up, he's like a cocker spaniel.

"Nature called. Look who answered."

Big Daddy is one of the better Adam Sandler comedies. None of his standard comedies are as good as the drama/comedies of Punch Drunk Love or Funny People, but he has made a few good ones(despite what everyone says). Sure his brand of comedy is the same in every film and that brand isn't incredibly intelligent, but their not meant to be. I'm not the biggest fan of Sandler, but I hate how everyone just rips on him constantly. Who gives a shit if he makes dumb comedies. Don't watch them. Many of his movies I don't like either, but he's gotten rich as fuck with this brand of comedy. I wouldn't stop making the same movie either.

Sonny is a 30 year old man who works one day a week and never gets up early enough to have McDonald's breakfast. His girlfriend is getting fed up with him. He does nothing, living off $200,000 that he got when his foot was ran over by a taxi. One day a kid shows up at his door. The letter says the kid is Sonny's roommates kid. Since his roommate is out, he decides to take care of him over the weekend until he can get him with a lined up foster family. Then, after spending time with him, he decides the kid may be exactly what he needs right now.

The drama is predictable and the comedy is the same. Still, the movie doesn't have Sandler acting too ridiculous or sporting a dumb, supposedly funny, voice. The relationship with the kid isn't done intelligently, but still comes off as somewhat touching in a different way. There's more comedic scenes that work in Big Daddy then some of Sandler's other average works.

If you can just enjoy an unimportant and less than original comedy for an hour and a half, this isn't too bad. It's not going to win any awards, but it should entertain. There's much better comedies out there, but there's also much worse. I know there's a lot of people out there that think Sandler is the worst thing in the film industry, but he just isn't.
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
Unapologetic manipulative schlockfest with Sandler playing a layabout man-boy who adopts a child to show his girl how he's matured after she turns him off at the pump. Then the film "apologises" with some spiel about really loving his dad. Harmless twaddle.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

November 7, 2011
I like Adam Sandler. I like that he uses other comics generously in his films. I like that he gets the girl and gets a job but doesn't get to keep his buddy's kid, but gets his own. Saw this on DVD. One particular moment stuck with me, and that was when he was (finally) giving the kid a bath and the kid asked why he had to wear a bathing suit and Sandler said he "didn't know the rules" about that kind of thing which I thought was an interesting way to get around a potentially touchy (NPI) situation and also an interesting statement on his point of view--he's a guy who sees normal life as a set of rules which he doesn't like and which he is intent on either breaking or ignoring and in the end, with just a bit of compromise on his part, the world seems to bend to him. Entertaining and weirdly thought-provoking.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
It's so so, not bad but not good.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 4, 2011
Not that bad. Big Daddy is about Sonny Koufax, a man who is left with a sweet little boy and must learn to be his father. This movie, was sweet, kind, and funny, but also cheesy, dumb, and nothing new. The plot is basic, but when its not being cheesy, its a sweet hearted comedy. The young Cole and Dylan Sprouce are probably the cutest young actors ever, how there parents ever said no to them I will never know. Adam Sandler pissed me off in this, he was a bad actor and the writers made him turn a sweet kid into a loog spitter. Overall not bad, I mean ic its on tv ill watch it.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Adam Sandler classic!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 9, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, Big Daddy is oneof Adam Sandler's last 'watchable" films. Big Daddy was funny and entertaining with all the usually tricks you'd expect from and Adam Sandler film. Along with Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy is the only Sandler film that I can actually watch without being too irritated. Big Daddy is silly, but it's also fun. The film is mindless entertainment and it doesn't try to be anything great. The film is really laid back, but it does its job by delivering good laughs. The film is much better than Sandler's previous film, The Water Boy. I enjoyed Big Daddy and laughed quite a bit. Sandler gives a decent comedic performance as Sonny, and the rest of the cast are good too. However Rob Schneider is as usual, not funny, and he plainly sucks like every other film he's done. In every Sandler film, he always plays a character thats irrelevant and not funny. Big Daddy is an average comedy with good laughs and average acting. Theres nothing too special about this film, but its a fun time waster. Sandler will make you for over an hour, but then the film becomes predictable too quickly. But for what it is, Big Daddy is a fun film and one of the few films where Adam Sandler is funny. Recently he has lost his touch. Big Daddy however is a reminder of what he could do, bring on some silly humour thats entertaining and funny.
Marc L.
Marc L.

March 18, 2011
Do we really need more proof that Adam Sandler is a genius? Big Daddy has it all for a comedy. Laughter, a good lesson, interesting characters and a cute story without being too cute. It's right up there with Happy Gilmore.

Obviously, the laugs are what make this movie so great. Sandler can be very funny when he's having trouble raising Julian...errrr "Frankenstein", especially in the early stages. He practically goes nuts.

Once again, Sandler does a great job of picking a supporting cast. Stev Buscemi did a downright hillarious performance as the homeless guy, and Rob Shneider did a very good job too. There arguement at the law case gives a bit of a brighter premise.

This movie has a lot of heart too, especially for a Sandler film. As the film goes on, Sunny begins to bond with Julian, and there are a few scenes that are actually really sweet. I almost cried at the ending (I won't spoil it for you)

Even the acting is believeable, one of the big negatives in some Sandler films. Whether it was Sandler, Lauren Adams, or even Dylan and Cole Sprouse, they did a good job.

Big Daddy easily ranks as one of my favorites all time.
erika250
erika250

October 11, 2010
Big Daddy is about 32 year old Sonny (Adam Sandler) that does not know how to be grown up. When his gf dumps him he adopts a kid to show his ex that he can be grown up. Over time he learns how to take care of a kid and will do nay thing in his power to keep the kid.
Pros
Good plot
Good acting
I really like the kid in the film.
Kid was so funny
Cons
Adam Sandler did bad job acting.
If u likes Adam Sandler you should give this a try.
Anthony L

January 6, 2011
I'm not much of an Adam Sandler fan to be honest but I don't hate him. This film is inoffensive enough with a wry sense of humour that I actually admired in places but overall, it's not particularly funny, original or memorable.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

November 16, 2010
Steve Buscemi is at his best in this movie as far as cameos go and he has ALOT of them.
Richard C

June 24, 2010
nothing special but good. B-
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 10, 2007
i ahve to say this is one of the few movies of adam sandlers i actually really enjoyed!!
its funny, sweet and a lovely storyline and its very entertainging movie to watch!!!
Conner R

January 17, 2010
While I do think that it's a lot better than most of Adam Sandler's other movies, it's just not enough to make it a good movie. The jokes get old and the father-son scenario only goes so far, there was too much of an effort put forward to making the movie touching and charming.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

January 16, 2010
Another flixter deletion, a first Sandler dramedy attempt. Loses steam half way through the movie but good for the most part.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
One of sandlers funniest films yet!
Jason O

August 15, 2009
When I first saw the previews of "Big Daddy" I knew I had to see it because it looked like it was gonna be hilarious. When I finally saw it, it wasn't anything like I thought it was gonna be. For about the first 20 minutes of the movie, parts of it are funny. Sonny's girlfriend (Kristy Swanson) goes out of town saying she needs time to think and tells Sonny (Adam Sandler) that he needs to think about the next stage of his life. A kid shows up at the door and Sonny decides to adopt him in order to show his girlfriend that he can be responsible. She dumps him anyway and he teaches the kid how to be the next Adam Sandler pretty much. Things get out of hand and he thinks about giving the kid up, but he finds out he likes the kid too much.
"Big Daddy" is a pretty good movie, but it wasn't what I expected it to be. I thought it would be hilarious like some of Sandler's other movies such as "Happy Gilmore" or "The Waterboy," but really it's more of a showing of how an immature guy can become attached to a kid and start wanting responsibility. I also didn't think Adam Sandler did one of his better acting jobs in this movie. The court session part of the movie was sort of cheesy. But I recommend seeing this movie so you can find out what happens and if Sonny will get to keep the kid and what he will do about his girlfriend that dumped him. It's worth buying, but you might want to rent it or see it on TV first. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I know this is one of Adam Sandler's most loved movies, but I've never understood. I'm a Sandler fan (he has the same birthday, September 9th, as me, btw), but this has always been one of my lesser favorites of his. Overrated!!!
Coxxie M