• Big Eden

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Big Eden Reviews

May 15, 2013
Beautifully acted and directed LGBT movie with an uplifting script. Highly recommended.
July 30, 2012
Big Eden is charming and good-hearted, but it is also incredibly unrealistic and cliched.
November 8, 2012
It's really nothing special.
February 9, 2012
i really liked this story of a man trying 2 find his place & his tribe
December 31, 2011
perfectly formed characters and relationships(though often fundamentally unbelievable)
Arabellake
November 28, 2011
A thoroughly cute and warm and loving film of love. It showed the slow and relaxed small town life so truly and exactly that it made me want to go and live there right away.
faust s.
May 17, 2011
Flawed, disparagingly, but at times it showcased the sweetness of the narrative, few moments, especially at the early part, could be edited much more to give it solidity. It have this nice independent film feel, the pace is reasonable yet the lead actors didn't have enough chemistry, some of the side story lines was ended so abruptly that it spoiled the sense, though, the accents of struggle and emotional backdrop was nice to pull this whole movie to a good balance. Surely would let anyone, with the scope of its audience, adore this romance that is stripped from the sexual friction based on societal perception, the beauty of this movie came from the simplicity of how it is told.
February 26, 2011
It's my feel good movie and one of the only movies I can watch time and time again, it the only reason I haven't got rid of my DVD player as my copy of this DVD is region 1.
sallylovesanimals
December 25, 2010
I loved this movie. Scenery is amazing. The story was fresh and multi-faceted. Tim Dekay is a favorite of mine, and now Arye Gross is too! I was entranced by Eric Schweig and loved his character. The gay theme is very subtle, intregral, and tastefully done.
chichi
November 27, 2010
What a beautifully charming movie. Louise Fletcher is a delight and Eric S is wonderful. I wish there were a community that was actually like this. One of my favorite films.
Brian M. Moviedude
November 14, 2010
I just finished watching Big Eden. It took me quite a while to get my partner to watch it, because he read the summary and thought it would be pretty boring, but we were both in tears during some of it. But, it did not end as I had hoped it would, which certainly made it less predictable.

There seemed to be a lot of stories going on here. The sick grandfather, the gay son and his former so-called straight childhood boyfriend, not to mention the quiet indian fellow with a passion for cooking, and a secret crush on one of the main actors. I even found the annoying old lady, who couldn't cook somewhat entertaining.

There were plenty of people who had good roles in this film, and the acting was really good. But, I never got why the indian fellow was so secretive. And, I was kind of sad that the lead role did not get to hook up with his love interest.
If it were me, I would have went after him in a heartbeat, especially since he obviously wanted the same thing, and he was a nice looking man too! I also didn't get the whole sudden interest in someone else. What was that all about?

At any rate, it was a very touching movie. I'm glad that I finally talked my partner into watching it. He liked it too.
samanthaseaotter
October 26, 2010
Sweet movie. Would like to see it again.
September 30, 2010
Wow! What a charming delight -- a love story where the main characters haven't graced the covers of GQ! This is an "Everyman" love triangle set against a beautiful backdrop. No heavy message ... just sweetness and light.
meinink2y
May 18, 2010
Big Eden is overlong and unrealistic to the point of absurdity, but it's still a fairly sweet, sometimes touching romantic comedy with a homosexual spin. Arye Gross gives a great leading turn, hitting almost all the right notes, but his costars aren't nearly as good. The character of Pike is so frustrating that he almost ruins the movie, and the ultimate pairing doesn't feel justified. It's sort of like Catch and Release where there's no good option for the romantic lead, but the overall quality of the film is (thankfully) better.
damiensun221
April 8, 2010
Not your typical gay movie. Good acting and no stereotypes. Worth watching.
Benjamin D.
November 28, 2009
I would have ranked this movie lower but it was very well done. Although I enjoyed the movie, when it ended I just said to myself "if only that could happen in real life". As I said, it's well done, for a fairy tale. And for a pre-"brokeback" gay themed movie, it's a quality production. I think I may have liked the movie more if they would have taken a different direction at the end (Pike was too intense and shy, Dean seemed a better fit). I'm apprehensive to give it as high a mark as I have, except when I think about some of the failed attempts at gay themed movies...against those this movie stands out. Otherwise I would have rated it at 60%.
sobebrett
November 20, 2009
I just Big Eden and I highly recommend it. The movie was FANTASTIC!!!
Mona from Poland
November 19, 2009
I have just seen Big Eden and I think its one of the best gay movies I have seen so far.Although its a non-existent fairy tale,its warmth,charm and positive feel all stand out in a crowd of often depressive,psychoanalitycal,sadistic visions of a gay world trying to convince the viewer of the unbearable burden within them facing their own and society acceptance.
And big bravo for Eric's Schweig and other cast acting.Its so natural,funny and pure.
Wish Eric more BIG EDEN opportunities and his fans to watch.
Sunil J

September 23, 2009
I kinda love this movie. I liked that just because it envolves a gay man, the whole movie didn't have to dumb itself down or overwhelm itself with having to be a gay movie. His grandfather has a heart attack and so he goes back home. It's not stereotypical and I genuinely enjoyed that as a movie. They also avoided stereotypes about small towns which you almost never see! A nice, well-made movie.
No1SchweigFan
September 10, 2009
Eric Schweig's performance in this movie is at the top of his game! He is so charming. His quiet guestures tell all. It has a surprise ending, that keeps all my friends talking!!