A Big Hand for the Little Lady - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Big Hand for the Little Lady Reviews

½ September 25, 2010
Joanne Woodward is pretty good as the meek little wife who has to take her husband's (Henry Fonda) place at the poker table after he falls ill. She of course knows nothing about the game and learns as she goes against some obnoxious town moneybags, one of whom is Jason Robards Jr. Saying any more would be spoiling the fun.
jjnxn
April 1, 2009
Charming comedy with wonderful supporting cast.
½ August 6, 2010
It's kind of thin, but very charming. Especially the performance by Paul Ford of the clever, curmudgeonly banker. There are some Hollywood legends in this and it's funny finish is the highlight. However, the poker game that attempts to build suspense, fails to push the right buttons.
December 27, 2009
As the movie advances, you'll be dying to know how it turns out. DON'T read any spoilers! Trust me!
June 17, 2009
The kind of movie that made movies worth going to. Not deep, not too complicated, just a group of first rate actors having a great time. The music is one of the best fits for almost any movie I have seen (and I grew up in a theater, literally, my mother sold tickets and the movies babysat me)
½ August 20, 2008
A fun family film with a great ending! Not your traditional western and Jason Robards performance is wonderful.
March 19, 2014
This is a great poker movie, with great comedy, and a clever plot, that also has a great cast, including Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Jason Robards, Charles Bickford, Burgess Meredith, and Kevin McCarthy. This is great entertainment, and vastly underrated and relatively unknown.
½ January 4, 2014
One of the better comedy-westerns around.
August 12, 2013
This could have been a great story of tragedy, courage and redemption if Fonda, Woodward and their son really had been the innocents they came across as being. One complication -- the banker wants in -- was all that was needed. Instead it descended to the level of a Made for TV movie.
July 7, 2013
Clever plot with unusual twists, a great cast, excellent dialogue. And funny, really, really funny.
½ September 8, 2012
An entertaining little movie with a twist at the end which I did not see coming. The film centers around a yearly, small town, high stakes poker game, which includes some of the most prosperous men in the region. Great cast including Jason Robards Jr., Joanne Woodward, Kevin McCarthy, Paul Ford, Burgess Meredith, Charles Bickford and Henry Fonda (if you haven't seen the movie and want to, don't read on) as a cheat. Yes, Henry Fonda as a cheat! This is the first movie he starred in that he wasn't a "good" guy. Fonda does a superb job depicting his character. He need not say a word, his facial expressions speak volumes. One need not know much about poker, (Mary [Joanne Woodward] doesn't or does she?), to get caught up in the drama and enjoy the laughs. A poor man's version of The Sting.
½ September 8, 2012
oh boy another poker movie!
May 18, 2012
A very entertaining movie that is well cast and directed. Note Jason Robards' great expressions during the movie as well as the way the director blocked his shots.
I have watched this movie several times and each time I enjoy it even more.
A real winner!
November 15, 2011
Excellent American movie. It's more about people than playing poker. It kept me interested through the whole film. Ending is brilliant, although this kind of ending crossed my mind in the middle of the movie. So, it's slightly predictable. Even though, very entertaining.
December 1, 2010
A likable little poker comedy. Inconsequential apart from the standout performances of Paul Ford, Joanne Woodward, Jason Robards and Burgess Meredith.
terris85017
December 5, 2010
I can't remember seeing this movie...but what an incredible cast!!
½ September 25, 2010
½ August 6, 2010
May 18, 2010
3: A very strange film, but it all comes together in the end, and then some. I suppose poker pictures are a sub genre of the western, but this one took me by surprise anyway, and the surprises just kept coming. It went places I never anticipated. In the end it probably reminded me more of The Sting than anything. There were times during the picture when I had no clue where it was going and it seemed like it was started to drag. Howver, the twists and truns in the plot made up for it to the point where by the end I actually wanted it to keep going. There are aspects of the film that were very heartwarming and touching as well, which was also unexpected. I was thiking it would be a 2. Boy, was I wrong. They don't make em like this anymore, but they do try, perhaps a bit too hard. This seems relatively effortless and doesn't reach for too much.
April 14, 2010
Totally silly. Henry Fonda is great.