A Big Hand for the Little Lady Reviews

½ September 25, 2010
Joanne Woodward is pretty good as the meek little wife who has to take her husband's (Henry Fonda) place at the poker table after he falls ill. She of course knows nothing about the game and learns as she goes against some obnoxious town moneybags, one of whom is Jason Robards Jr. Saying any more would be spoiling the fun.
jjnxn
April 1, 2009
Charming comedy with wonderful supporting cast.
December 27, 2009
As the movie advances, you'll be dying to know how it turns out. DON'T read any spoilers! Trust me!
½ August 20, 2008
A fun family film with a great ending! Not your traditional western and Jason Robards performance is wonderful.
March 19, 2014
This is a great poker movie, with great comedy, and a clever plot, that also has a great cast, including Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Jason Robards, Charles Bickford, Burgess Meredith, and Kevin McCarthy. This is great entertainment, and vastly underrated and relatively unknown.
August 12, 2013
This could have been a great story of tragedy, courage and redemption if Fonda, Woodward and their son really had been the innocents they came across as being. One complication -- the banker wants in -- was all that was needed. Instead it descended to the level of a Made for TV movie.
½ September 8, 2012
An entertaining little movie with a twist at the end which I did not see coming. The film centers around a yearly, small town, high stakes poker game, which includes some of the most prosperous men in the region. Great cast including Jason Robards Jr., Joanne Woodward, Kevin McCarthy, Paul Ford, Burgess Meredith, Charles Bickford and Henry Fonda (if you haven't seen the movie and want to, don't read on) as a cheat. Yes, Henry Fonda as a cheat! This is the first movie he starred in that he wasn't a "good" guy. Fonda does a superb job depicting his character. He need not say a word, his facial expressions speak volumes. One need not know much about poker, (Mary [Joanne Woodward] doesn't or does she?), to get caught up in the drama and enjoy the laughs. A poor man's version of The Sting.
May 18, 2012
A very entertaining movie that is well cast and directed. Note Jason Robards' great expressions during the movie as well as the way the director blocked his shots.
I have watched this movie several times and each time I enjoy it even more.
A real winner!
December 1, 2010
A likable little poker comedy. Inconsequential apart from the standout performances of Paul Ford, Joanne Woodward, Jason Robards and Burgess Meredith.
½ August 6, 2010
It's kind of thin, but very charming. Especially the performance by Paul Ford of the clever, curmudgeonly banker. There are some Hollywood legends in this and it's funny finish is the highlight. However, the poker game that attempts to build suspense, fails to push the right buttons.
June 17, 2009
The kind of movie that made movies worth going to. Not deep, not too complicated, just a group of first rate actors having a great time. The music is one of the best fits for almost any movie I have seen (and I grew up in a theater, literally, my mother sold tickets and the movies babysat me)