George Carlin: 1937-2008

Summary

George Carlin, the award-winning comedian, actor, and author responsible for one of the most groundbreaking routines in the history of American comedy, has passed away at the age of 71. Back to Article

Comments

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

I think maybe someone estimated wrongly. For some reason learning of George Carlin's death doesn't make me want to learn more about Jesus. . .

I'll miss him. I remember watching his HBO specials when I was younger quite often.

Most of his critisism was dead-on. You should notice that when he was railing against God, his examples were all things that people could work on changing but didn't. It wasn't simply expounding on a "God Sucks" theme. I don't think he ever offended all that many of religious faith. If he did, than they probably need to look at themselves.

His anti-materialism was a breath of fresh air, especially in the insane part of the "GREED IS GOOD" 80's. If people believed as he did, the world would be a better place.

Jun 23 - 02:13 PM

halose7en

Peter Kaplan

It's a shock, even now, hours after I heard the news. I still can't believe it. But it is very comforting to know that there are so many people out there who miss him just as much, if not more than me. Carlin had a comedic presence unlike any other in the business. He knew how to work a crowd, and he gave them exactly what they expected, show after show after show. Even in his later years (which I personally think were his best), he still had undying energy and bite throughout his routines. R.I.P George. You were among the elite in comedy, and you will ALWAYS be considered a legend.

Jun 23 - 02:20 PM

doug941

doug byron

Wow, all I can say is "****, piss, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er, and tits".

Jun 23 - 02:45 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I like how the word "cocksucker" doesn't get censored here.

Jun 23 - 02:51 PM

halose7en

Peter Kaplan

I guess that would be the 4 words you can't say on Rotten Tomatoes. =\

Jun 23 - 07:02 PM

doug941

doug byron

Jun 23 - 02:45 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I like how the word "cocksucker" doesn't get censored here.

Jun 23 - 02:51 PM

halose7en

Peter Kaplan

I guess that would be the 4 words you can't say on Rotten Tomatoes. =\

Jun 23 - 07:02 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I like how the word "cocksucker" doesn't get censored here.

Jun 23 - 02:51 PM

gad

Gilbert Davis

Invisible man in the sky. You know, George would not approve of your blatant proselytizing on the occasion of his death. It always amazes me that when a scientist or intellectual atheist type dies you guys are johnny on the spot with the "I bet he called out to god before he died nonsense" - Give it a rest and go find a jesus board to vent on. I'm sure there's much rejoicing over there. Clue though - we all die eventually and the death of a atheist isn't proof of your invisible man. RIP George

Jun 23 - 02:58 PM

terrible1

Phillip Robles

I literally just watched his most recent HBO special as well as Jay and Silent Bob just a few days ago. wow. what a downer. RIP Mr. Carlin. You will be greatly missed.

Jun 23 - 04:10 PM

Neonknight

Stephen Seecharan

Rest In Peace George, you will be missed. The world has lost yet another great funny man.

Jun 23 - 04:11 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

Gad you are a total retard, your right to talk has been revoked, go and blow bill maher you loser.

Jun 23 - 04:52 PM

powerslayer67

ryan sebree

every comedian in the business owes this man a grave debt of appreciation.

Jun 23 - 04:56 PM

TheMaq

Mary Ann Quintana

A lesson in sourness... and inventory taking. One persons joy is anothers lack of respect on the eve of this gentleman's departure from earth. May you dream of being as respected as he when your time arrives.

Jun 23 - 05:19 PM

TheMaq

Mary Ann Quintana

Jun 23 - 05:20 PM

thereign

lance berry

Gad;

I think you're confusing my paying my respects for George from my own perception(and a bit of a sense of humor) with having an agenda, which I don't. I didn't go on a "God is great" rant or yell from the rooftops "George Carlin was wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!" I was simply paying my respects in my own manner, to which I am entitled.

Speak what you know, because this isn't it.

If you're an atheist, fine by me...I honestly don't care. Just be careful you don't get dizzy all the way up there on your high horse.

Jun 23 - 06:49 PM

thereign

lance berry

Gad;

[You might want to change your screen name, as if you hit the wrong key on the right side of your board while typing, you might spell your name as "God"....wouldn't want you to have an embolism because of it]

I think you're confusing my manner of paying respect with a religious agenda, which this isn't. If you'll open your eyes and look again, I was simply stating(with humor, which I believe Mr. Carlin would have respected), my take on his passing. I wasn't standing on the rooftops yelling "Carlin was a blashpheming sinner who was wrong! Wrong!"

Speak what you know, because this isn't it.

If you're an atheist, that's fine by me...I truly don't care. I don't share your belief, but I respect it. It's funny how most atheists can't be as reciprocating in the empathy department.

Just do me a favor, and be careful: I don't want you to get dizzy, sitting so far up on your high horse.

Jun 23 - 06:56 PM

thereign

lance berry

Gad;

Speak what you know, because this isn't it.

Jun 23 - 06:57 PM

thereign

lance berry

Wow, I sure posted that enough f.uckin' times by accident, didn't I? Stupid slow site....

:-P

Jun 23 - 06:59 PM

halose7en

Peter Kaplan

I guess that would be the 4 words you can't say on Rotten Tomatoes. =\

Jun 23 - 07:02 PM

jrod1978

jarrod taylor

Been watching Carlin since I was 13 (now 29). He was one of my favorite stand-ups and always made me think about the world in which I lived. That was genius of Carlin. RIP George Carlin. You will be missed in a world that is now a little less funny.

Jun 23 - 08:39 PM

lordfirefly

William Rauchett

Carlin's career has always made me laugh, smile and make quote after quote after quote. He was an artist and a poster boy for those who wanted to be a legend. He could make you laugh with dirty language or with the opposite. There was a time in my life when my [past] depression almost got the best of me. There was 2 things that got me out of my rut. First was my family and second was watching Carlin's acts on tv...no lie!

First we lost Stan Winston and now George Carlin. I really hope the "urban legend" of 3 die at a time doesn't hold to be true. We need not lose anyone else.

Stan = Legend in special effects
George = Legend in comedy

Jun 23 - 08:54 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Curtis:

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you mean well with your post.

Nonetheless, you *have* to be aware that it is in remarkably poor taste to turn someone else's death into an ad campaign for your beliefs. And they are just that; YOUR beliefs. Nothing more. I do not share them and perhaps more relevantly, I do not believe George Carlin shared them.

Jun 24 - 07:47 AM

tabascoman77

Matt Perri

I'm very sad that Carlin is gone. He seemed so invincible. He seemed like nothing could ever beat him.

I respect his views on religion. He wasn't afraid to go out and say what was on his mind.

There was one bit he did in particular on "Complains & Grievances" where he was talking about religion and how silly the Ten Commandments were and how they should be cut down to two. It was very witty, well-written, and felt like an intelligent lecture mixed with his trademark comedy style.

He summed the entire lecture up brilliantly:

"Respect the provider of thy nookie...and respect others who believe in a different invisible man than you do which also leads me to an even better alternative: KEEP THY RELIGION TO THYSELF!"

That's refreshing to hear. He didn't take sides and he respects those with different points of view even going so far as to say, "Whatever you believe in, don't go pushing your religious POV on other people because it only leads to grief."

He was funny but he was also VERY smart. That is one of the reasons I respected George Carlin so much. He had such timing and wit and his comedy, as much as it was observational was intelligently observational and thoughtful.

His take on the 7 Dirty Words is just ONE reason why he should be remembered. Anybody else could have gone up there and used those words and acted like an *** but George Carlin turned his stage into a pulpit and the concert hall into a classroom and he TAUGHT as much as he made people laugh.

I will miss him VERY much. I'm VERY sad he's gone and it's going to be a shame not to see any HBO specials or hear any new material from him.

Jun 24 - 11:37 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships